hey GB&C!

planning to build a steel bodied firebird, any feedback on the design would be much appreciated

body- steel box at the core (think like the raised neck-thru section on most firebirds)
aluminum (maybe?) blocks under bridge and for neck pocket, connected by an aluminum beam for structural integrity, wings will be reminiscent of iron porch railings, "outlines" of the outside, with curly cues and arrows inside.

neck- i would like all maple, 22 frets. i will not be making this myself, any recommendations as far as where to get a nice one (preferrably for around $100). tele style would be cool, but not a dealbreaker.

hardware/electronics- Guitarfetish, or what i have laying around. most likely will be getting a fat pat in the bridge, coil tapped of course. single volume, coil tap on a toggle where the pickup selector would be on a standard gibby firebird. roller bridge.

potential issues- i dont think weight will be an issue because most of the guitar will be hollow/nonexistant, but something to keep in mind

welding/bending the metal is covered, but i am not equipped to weld aluminum, so im not sure about the core section... dont want to use steel because of weight, but im not sure how i would secure the aluminum otherwise...

heat expansion/contraction. should i be worrying about this?

thanks in advance guys will post a sketch or two tomorrow if i get the chance
little update- no pics yet because the camera battery is dead -___-

ive been discussing some design options with my dad, and the aluminum core is starting to seem a bit un do-able. i (probably) have access to a milling machine, but a block of aluminum would be expensive according to him.

so i think im going to just brace everything really well and do all steel.

still not totally sure how to go about the neck pocket tho...

Leviman- i got the aluminum idea from a company that does metal guitars (i think it was hamilton steel guitar company, but im not sure) good luck with your build! i look foward to seeing it
I say p90. Just my thoughts though.

PS this sounds like it'll be freakin sweet. cant wait to see it!
*insert witty statement here*
Quote by SGRocker400
Leviman- i got the aluminum idea from a company that does metal guitars (i think it was hamilton steel guitar company, but im not sure) good luck with your build! i look foward to seeing it

Theres also the Electrical Guitar company that makes full aluminium guitars.

http://www.electricalguitarcompany.com/

I would love to try one out.
reviving this because i have finally started. well sort of- the core of the body is now going to be oak (from some early 1900's church doors no less) and the wings/side pieces are going to be copper. i have a mexi tele neck i will be using, headstock will be modified to a fender starcaster shape (a la johnny greenwood or chris walla, not the $40 target strats) single jazzmaster pickup (probably a seymour dunc hot) jazzmaster bridge and tremolo, single volume, lowpass tone filter on a toggle, and a killswitch. IT HAS BEGUN! ...pics to follow soon