Sort of inspired by Devin Townsend's 'New York, New York' cover, this isn't some drop-tuned, musically unrelated grindcore song with the original lyrics pig-squealed over it. This is a slightly tongue-in-cheek but overall pretty serious metal interpretation of one of my favorite Disney songs. It's still a work in progress, as it only goes up to the first chorus, but most of my ideas are pretty fleshed out. Measures 49 - 56 still aren't quite the way I want them, so if anyone has any thoughts on that part or any other areas, let me know. As always, C4C.
Attachments:
friend like me rock.gp5
Last edited by FrauVfromPoB at Mar 6, 2012,
I'm a pretty big disney fan, so i jumped straight this thread when I saw the title. You did a fairly good job. Bar 17, the main riff thing, sounds the best. And I was singing along during the verse, so that worked too. However, at bar 41, your using semiquavers on the guitar alongside quaver triplets on the drums, which barely ever works, and in your case it doesn't. That and the offbeat snare on the blast makes it suddenly sound like a different song. In fact I don't even think this part is in the original song. It should be going to the 'Mister Aladdin sir, what will your pleasure be?' bit, and I'm a little dissapointed that you didn't do that bit.
But's that nothing compared to the next section. I cut out bars 48-55 and it actually worked better. I understand that section's not how you want it, but I don't think it's need at all.
Overall I think it would've worked better if you'd followed the original song more. All the original sections change it from being a cover into an original song with bits of Friend Like Me in it. The extra sections didn't always sound like part of the same song and you might be better off using them in an original song of your own.

Eh, might as well shameless ask for a C4C while I'm here. It's the last one in my sig
Musical Theatre! *jazz hands*

...what am I doing on this site...
Quote by MetaIronForce

I'm a pretty big disney fan, so i jumped straight this thread when I saw the title. You did a fairly good job. Bar 17, the main riff thing, sounds the best. And I was singing along during the verse, so that worked too. However, at bar 41, your using semiquavers on the guitar alongside quaver triplets on the drums, which barely ever works, and in your case it doesn't. That and the offbeat snare on the blast makes it suddenly sound like a different song. In fact I don't even think this part is in the original song. It should be going to the 'Mister Aladdin sir, what will your pleasure be?' bit, and I'm a little dissapointed that you didn't do that bit.
But's that nothing compared to the next section. I cut out bars 48-55 and it actually worked better. I understand that section's not how you want it, but I don't think it's need at all.

Eh, might as well shameless ask for a C4C while I'm here. It's the last one in my sig

Thanks for the crit, man. I have to say though, that structurally, I followed the original exactly. The lyrics follow the same pattern and everything. Obviously I took some liberties with melodies and rhythms to make it more metal or whatever, but its all based off of a transcription of the original piece. I can see how the tremolo picking and thrash drumming parts might throw you off, but my belief is that a cover like this shouldn't be a facsimile of the original with distorted guitars, but rather its own distinct interpretation.

Either way, I critted your song. It's not as detailed as yours, but there wasn't much for me to say.