I have a Mesa 295 power amp that I'd like to run two different preamps into via an amp switcher. I'm thinking I can run into the pedal from my guitar, then run one preamp into the A power section, and the other into the B power section. The problem I'll run into is that I'm running a single speaker cable (8 ohms) to a single speaker cab, so I won't have both the A and B speaker outputs connected to the cab. It's a Mesa 4X12 cab though, and I think if I run into both the 4ohm inputs on the cab, I'll have only one side of the cab powered with each preamp.

The other predicament is that I run a parametric EQ after my preamp of choice, and I'd like to be able to use that with both. If there were some way that I could have some kind of elite pedal or piece of rack gear that would allow me to switch between both preamps going into a single cab via the same power amp with a parametric EQ in the loop that would be excellent.

What can I do in my situation?
Last edited by thared33 at Mar 5, 2012,
Does the power amp have specific speaker outs for stereo?
Does your EQ have the option to receive two different input signals?
If not, have you considered an A/B/Y pedal?
Does your Mesa cab have a stereo option? (wired in series/parallel with a jacks)
Do both jacks on the Cab say 4 ohm?
What are the specific options on the amp for impedance?

bump
hit me up via PM I can help you out!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Does the power amp have specific speaker outs for stereo?
Does your EQ have the option to receive two different input signals?
If not, have you considered an A/B/Y pedal?
Does your Mesa cab have a stereo option? (wired in series/parallel with a jacks)
Do both jacks on the Cab say 4 ohm?
What are the specific options on the amp for impedance?

bump

It has an A and B output so yeah, you can run it in stereo.
The EQ is mono unfortunately.
The ABY pedal still introduces a problem as explained.
My cab has a stereo option as mentioned but it only powers one side of it.
Yes both jacks say 8ohm
8 and 4.
OK. Just checking. I don't have any real world experience with this but I'll give you another free bump.

The only thing I can think of that might work would be something from Radial, like their Switchbone. There might be cheaper products out there not sure.

http://tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm

I guess what I was envisioning would be a 'Y' splitter cable coming out of both preamps and then into the EQ once and then into the Switchbone which would then have separate outs to the power amp. I think it would just act like a big A/B/Y pedal.

Do you already have a footswitch to toggle between preamps or are you wanting to run in stereo. Would the EQ parameters be different for each preamp (impossible I guess at this point) or is the curve the same? I know their are EQ pedals that allow different settings but you would probably need a MIDI switcher to switch preamps and EQ settings at the same time if that is your ultimate goal.

Power amp would be 4 and 4 on each side into each side of cab - I guess you know that already.

Or hell, would 2 'Y' splitters work?

pre pre
....Y....
...EQ..
....ʎ....
power amp

Maybe fastlanestoner or someone else has a better idea
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
OK. Just checking. I don't have any real world experience with this but I'll give you another free bump.

The only thing I can think of that might work would be something from Radial, like their Switchbone. There might be cheaper products out there not sure.

http://tonebone.com/tb-switchbone.htm

I guess what I was envisioning would be a 'Y' splitter cable coming out of both preamps and then into the EQ once and then into the Switchbone which would then have separate outs to the power amp. I think it would just act like a big A/B/Y pedal.

Do you already have a footswitch to toggle between preamps or are you wanting to run in stereo. Would the EQ parameters be different for each preamp (impossible I guess at this point) or is the curve the same? I know their are EQ pedals that allow different settings but you would probably need a MIDI switcher to switch preamps and EQ settings at the same time if that is your ultimate goal.

Power amp would be 4 and 4 on each side into each side of cab - I guess you know that already.

Or hell, would 2 'Y' splitters work?

pre pre
....Y....
...EQ..
....ʎ....
power amp

Maybe fastlanestoner or someone else has a better idea

This with an A/B box before the Preamps and ditch the secon Y cable and just run mono into the poweramp and cab unless the poweramp doesnt bridge to mono
Last edited by Seanthesheep at Mar 7, 2012,
One problem is that I want to use a single cable into the 8ohm jack since I want to power all 4 speakers. Running it in 4ohm mode on my cab - it only powers one side of the cab. I want all 4.

I'm thinking I can possibly run into an A/B switcher pedal, which will feed both preamps, and from the preamp outputs use a Y cable, and that Y cable feeds the single input on my EQ. Then from my EQ just go to the power amp and set it up as usual.

The only concern I have though is that there's something about overloading a cab by running two amps into it, or something like that. Is running two preamps into a single input on a power amp a bad idea (take in mind it's coming from the EQ though)? Hell, running two preamps into an EQ might damage the EQ itself. One amp will still be 'on' even though nothing's coming through so I'm not sure. Don't want to break anything.

If there's no problem, then I'll get a new switcher pedal and a Y cable. Deal done. If I'll have a problem with feeding two preamps into a single EQ/power amp, I may have to get two A/B pedals or something.
Last edited by thared33 at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by Seanthesheep
Read my post.

To run mono into the cab, you only need 1 Y cable and 1 A/B box

There's no problem with the load/impedance/whatever you call all of that? So like this:

Guitar -->
A/B/Y pedal -->
Preamps 1 + 2 -->
(Y Cable)2Mono EQ -->
Power Amp -->
Cab

And I should be good? There's always a noise floor when running my guitar stuff so I hope this won't make it too much worse since I'll have two preamps active/going.

Thanks for the help, I've never run anything like this!
Last edited by thared33 at Mar 7, 2012,