I just was curious what you guys think about recording vocals and acoustic at the same time vs tracking them separately. I am not sure which because it is sounding really un-natural in some of my tracks when i track them separately but i don't want to lose the clarity and the editing options with tracking each separately.
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Separately for sure.
You just need to adjust your mix if it's sounding wierd. It can only get clearer recording them separately.
I prefer tracking at the same time, just because the performance usually comes out better. Make sure you get a good sound straight onto tape (so to speak) and you won't have to worry so much about post-processing. If it's a pretty dense mix, you might want to go separate.
If it sounds odd then there is probably something off time slightly. It is possible that there could be recording lag. You should have more natural if anything. If not you need to learn keep timing better or you have latency.

You could use two mics and record them at the same time, but then you have to worry about sound bleeding. You could try to eliminate the sound bleeding by getting the gain to the right setting it only picks up vocal or guitar.

I would do them separately if I were you.
Last edited by FireHawk at Mar 6, 2012,
I'd always record them separately as they will need different EQ, FX etc in the final mix.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
I record a main guitar track then i record a vocal track while playing guitar with the mic positioned to optimally pick up the vocals. That way you can process them separately and having the guitar bleed on the vocal track with different processing really gives and interesting guitar sound when combined with the main guitar track
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
In a perfect world, you would be able to record both parts at the same time with very little bleed between the two mics. The advantage is that you get the "vibe" of a live performance. It sounds more honest and less clinical. It sounds like one pair of things working together rather than two separate things layered on top of each other.

It can be done, but getting a pair of figure-8 mics is expensive. Room treatment (because close-miking is not really ideal for this) is also something that most people don't get to. The further away from the source you place the mic, the more of the room you hear. For most people, that is not desirable.

Two strikes, you're out.

Your compromise is not that bad, though, if you're willing to spend some time with mic placement. You WILL get some bleed between the parts, but that is what will help glue them together and sound as one - so long as you're careful to avoid phasing. Also, make sure that the mic is close enough to the sound source to eliminate most of the room sound, unless you don't mind the sound of your room.

Isolation between tracks - even when doing live drums - is often over-rated. Sometimes it is what you want, but not always.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
i find it very hard to get a good take with a single mic while playing and singing. you have to find that perfect balance of direction and placement to make sure the relative volumes are correct. ive done it before, and wouldnt want to do it unless i had no choice.

with two takes, you can lose some of the performance if the person is someone who typically plays and sings. i know for some things i sing better while playing (though i might play worse ) i think it results in a better mix though, and it is easier to get something that sounds balanced and full.

if you can use two mics, you can sort of achieve both. as people said, you want to minimize some of the bleed and avoid phase issues. as long as you spend a bit of time setting up mics and listening as you move thigns around, this isnt overly difficult. ive been doing this more myself, and i think its a good approach if youve got the right mics for the job.
also depends where you position your mic. if you have it by the sound hole, it will be very bassy. i find the best place is by the 12 fret.

if you have vocals you'll need a second mic. it won't balance right if you're using one mic.
-Martin D-28
-Custom HH Flying v style (W.I.P)
-Squier Strat SSS
-Yamaha FG720S (red)
Last edited by CoventryEngland at Mar 7, 2012,