Hello

Today I've experienced a scary moment in life where my guitar didn't sound as it should have.. I thought my pickups were ruined or something happened to them. For some reason they attract dust pretty quickly but I guess that has something to do with the static. Then I realized that my 3-way switch was in the bridge position so now it works perfectly again.

Anyways, I was wondering what can damage the pickups? Could dust even be a factor? If you have any leads please tell me possible things that can help me protect my pickups so they last for a long time. Thanks!
Rust.

I wipe my pickups after playing, I dunno whether if helps or not. But it doesn't rust like my previous guitar's pickups.
Last edited by MaddMann274 at Mar 6, 2012,
After a while they can come microphonic (like my jacksons) I think to fix this you dip them in wax or something.
Quote by Devilish Dave
Hello

Today I've experienced a scary moment in life where my guitar didn't sound as it should have.. I thought my pickups were ruined or something happened to them. For some reason they attract dust pretty quickly but I guess that has something to do with the static. Then I realized that my 3-way switch was in the bridge position so now it works perfectly again.

Anyways, I was wondering what can damage the pickups? Could dust even be a factor? If you have any leads please tell me possible things that can help me protect my pickups so they last for a long time. Thanks!

Moisture.
Dicking around with the windings
Pulling them apart
Industrial strength magnets.

All those are things that could damage pickups, but generally speaking they're pretty indestructible as there's not an awful lot there to break.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Nothing. Pickups can't break through means other than direct physical assault (dismantling, cutting the wire, etc.).
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
^^ This. Ted Nugent claims his sweat has caused pickups on his Gibson Byrdlands to become waterlogged and ruined, but I've never heard of anyone else having this issue. I sweat buckets myself, but the only problem I've ever had was all the plating coming off the gold pickups on my old les paul custom, resulting in a horrible rusted/green appearance to them where my hands rested on them.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Well theres a few things that pop to mind. Moisure getting into unpotted pickups. Extreme heat melting wax if pickups are potted. Anything that can demagnetise the pickups like a big knock or years of polishing the poles.

Either way its pretty dammed hard to break a pickup and certainly not somthing that could happen with normal use. Frankly all I do is give mine a wipe now and again to keep em dust free and that, is only cos I keep my shit clean!
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Pickups can degauss if stored close to one another for long periods of time. It is possible to completely ruin a pickup if it is stored close to a particularly powerfull pickup, or magnetic field.

Some players will degauss a hot pickup to mellow it out on purpose.
Last edited by 667 at Mar 6, 2012,
oxidation is your biggest opponent here
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
C4
concentrated acid
being run over by an abrams tank

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Being hit with a boss pedal
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

I've dropped a Boss pedal on a pickup before. The pickup was fine.

It must have not been a real Boss.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by steven seagull

Haha. Then it tips over, catches fire, and explodes - like in The Simpsons.