View poll results: Dennis'
Dennises
80 82%
Dennis
6 6%
Dicks
12 12%
Voters: 98.
I'm randomly wondering about something incredibly inconsequential. When you say a possessive noun that ends in S already, do you pronounce another S at the end?

For example:

I was sitting on Dennis' couch yesterday.

Do you say "I was sitting on Dennis couch" or "I was sitting on Dennises couch"?

I'm not even entirely sure which one is correct. I shame my grammar Nazi heritage.
PM me for newts
I say "I was shitting on Dennises couch"
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I say it as a possessive noun. I was sitting on Dennis' [Dennises] couch yesterday. Although 'Dicks' is a close second..
ESP LTD m400
Peavey Vypyr 30 w/ Sanpera I
Dunlop Crybaby Wah pedal
ISP Decimator

"Dream big, and dare to fail. I dare you to do that." - James Hetfield, HoF Speech, 09
I don't know, I feel like I avoid this somehow but I don't know what I say
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by StewieSwan
I'm randomly wondering about something incredibly inconsequential. When you say a possessive noun that ends in S already, do you pronounce another S at the end?

For example:

I was sitting on Dennis' couch yesterday.

Do you say "I was sitting on Dennis couch" or "I was sitting on Dennises couch"?

I'm not even entirely sure which one is correct. I shame my grammar Nazi heritage.

this is the only correct answer, i'm surprised you're actually asking.
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
Dennises fo sho.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Dinnises, but I'd spell it Dennis'
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by TOMMYB22
this is the only correct answer, i'm surprised you're actually asking.

Why? There isn't an extra S in Dennis'. At the very least it's debatable.
PM me for newts
I heard they use the apostrophe as Dennis's is awkward to read/type.

EDIT: I say Dennis-es
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.
I call every person I know or talk about "Dick", so that's kinda weird that you knew that and accommodated me there.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by guitarxo
I don't know, I feel like I avoid this somehow but I don't know what I say

Say Dennises, technically, but it sounds awkward so if your talking fast just leave it off.

Quote by lushacrous
I call every person I know or talk about "Dick", so that's kinda weird that you knew that and accommodated me there.

How much did you drink last night?

281-330-8004, that's my cell phone number, hit me up on the low
Dennises couch. Otherwise it sounds like you were sitting on someone named Dennis Couch...
Quote by moscaespañol
How much did you drink last night?

Too much. I'm not too experienced of a drinker, but I told my roomie that I wanted to feel it, but not be hungover for my midterm at 9. Next thing I know, bam, I'm making threads. To my knowledge I had ~8 shots, pretty good, but still coulda done a fair bit worse.

Still completely unprepared for that midterm though.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by moscaespañol
Say Dennises, technically, but it sounds awkward so if your talking fast just leave it off.

but if I say things like "I went to dennis house" I'll sound so incredibly ESL

Dennises sounds really strange though, like a snake trying to say Dennis
cat
I would say Dennises, but I would also write it Dennis's. I don't think that's acceptable grammar in the US but it's pretty common in the UK.
It certainly is a stupid question. Anyone who doesn't say "es" has a severe speech disability.
Quote by slash_GNR666
I say "I was shitting on Dennises couch"

That's how Sean Connery would say it. >_>
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
Yeah why do you even need to ask? It might be written Dennis' but anyone who says "I was sitting on Dennis couch" is a fluking moron.
Depending on whether this Dennis fellow is one of my mates or not, I would say either Dennises or Dicks.
This is why I don't associate with people with names that end with s.
Gear:
Ibanez S470DXQM
Laney GH50L - Laney GS212IE
Boss GE7
MXR Wylde OD
Boss DD2
Boss CE20
Walden G570
If I were to write it it would look like Dennis', but if I were saying it it would sound like "Dennises"
Party on Wayne. Party on Garth.
Dennis' or Dennis's are both acceptable. In Dennis' the extra s is implied, it just looks kind of awkward so it's usually omitted. It's a convention, not indicative of how the word is actually pronounced.