So in a pedal chain with both an O/D pedal and a distortion pedal, which should come first. Specifically for boosting solos to cut through the rest of the band.

I know theres a million and one pedal board topics asking what order shit should go in but i DID search and couldnt find one relating to this specific topic.

Thanks you for your help
the one that is going to be louder should be last, although I don't do that, I just use my lead channel for boosting. I go compressor->overdrive->distortion->amp and crank the volume on the overdrive to change the way my distortion behaves.
There's no rule here. It really depends on the individual pedals. Some pedals just prefer to be in a certain order while others are less discerning. Try both and see how they effect each other. Personally, I'd be more inclined to hit the heavier distortion with the lighter OD (so OD first, into distortion) but that's just based on the pedals I own, your results may vary.

This is why we have individual pedals instead of multi effects... Its supposed to be the fun part!
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I put my O/D before the distortion. My set-up is: guitar>wah>tuner>compressor>O/D>distortion>metal core>noise gate>flanger>delay>amp. And as rob904 says, you can also use your O/D as a booster for your other distortion pedals. Check out the Boss pedal site too on setting-up a pedal board.
if you use them at the same time`i would lead with the cleaner pedal first.

what pedals are we talking about here?
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by gstring120
I put my O/D before the distortion. My set-up is: guitar>wah>tuner>compressor>O/D>distortion>metal core>noise gate>flanger>delay>amp. And as rob904 says, you can also use your O/D as a booster for your other distortion pedals. Check out the Boss pedal site too on setting-up a pedal board.

You put your wah first :O...I've never done that...I though it was against the rules...trying something new today
Quote by rob904
You put your wah first :O...I've never done that...I though it was against the rules...trying something new today

Wah is always supposed to be first, at least that's the general consensus. That's really one of the only pedal chain order 'rules.' Obviously its not a rule since you do differently, but generally that is the best place to keep excess noise down from the wah.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by rob904
I've tried my wah in different places in the chain, but have always gone back to putting it first. Just like the way it sounds there.
Quote by tubetime86
Wah is always supposed to be first, at least that's the general consensus. That's really one of the only pedal chain order 'rules.' Obviously its not a rule since you do differently, but generally that is the best place to keep excess noise down from the wah.

through the various forums I went around on when I got my wah, I camt to the consensus that it should go last. The logic was/is all that treble going through distortion and overdrive=bleeding ears. That said I've never tried it, and with everything I've bought since the wah I can't believe I haven't yet.
Quote by rob904

Really? I thought everyone had their wah first. Like was already stated, that's one of the few "rules" of the chain. Y'know, wah first, delay/loopers last, etc.
Some wahs really don't take well to going after distortion.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by The Last Dandy
Really? I thought everyone had their wah first. Like was already stated, that's one of the few "rules" of the chain. Y'know, wah first, delay/loopers last, etc.

There's no real rules per se, although that said you'd usually want the Wah first since it's affecting the base sound, hence you'd typically want to have the cleanest signal flowing through your wah.

Again there are no rules as to whether it's dist before OD, however, I like my low gain pedals AFTER my high gain, that way I can use the low gain pedals to fine tune the high gain sound. However, you should try it both ways and see what gives you the best sound, it's less about rules and more about what sounds like it'll cave your chest in.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Last edited by ragingkitty at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by ragingkitty
However, you should try it both ways and see what gives you the best sound, it's less about rules and more about what sounds like it'll cave your chest in.

I look for tones that will repair caved in chests actually.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
I look for tones that will repair caved in chests actually.

Commander Dante would beg to differ

Apologies... couldn't resist the geeky Warhammer humour.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Hmmm, two differences in opinion. Looks like i'll just have to try them out and see what works, like i say id generally be using the o/d for a solo boost
Note that if you're playing with high distortion, punching in more gain will only compress your signal further and push you further into the background... which is the last thing you'd want for a solo boost.

Hence, having more gain may not always be the solution for a solo.
Quote by Blompcube

( )( )
Last edited by ragingkitty at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by The Last Dandy
Try them in every possible configuration, decide what sounds the best. Simple as that.

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?