how long do you have to play through a tube head without a load to do damage? what parts are typically damaged when this occurs? my H&K cab's 1/4'' jack isnt extremely tight so the cable has slipped out twice in the past month. i hit a couple of chords before i found the problem each time. it probably wasnt more than 20 seconds or so each time. im taking the cab to get a new jack so it stops slipping out, and have taken to unplugging it every time so i know for sure to secure it before i turn the amp on again......was this enough to do any sort of damage, it still sounds fine. but if it's enough to damage the amp, i want to get it taken care of before my coverage runs out.
It's similar to turning an amp on with a mismatched speaker but it will depend on how loud you had it set. In short is sounds like you got away with it.

It will also depend on how the amp is wired and often amps have some sort of pretection built in. You may well just blow a fuse before the amp smokes.

Some newer amps such have protection circuits but don't abuse them as they get stressed!

But really you should avoid this at all cost just in case and thank whatever god you choose to worship that you were lucky this time :P
---------------------------------------------------------------
Quote by daninmanchester
It's similar to turning an amp on with a mismatched speaker but it will depend on how loud you had it set. In short is sounds like you got away with it.

It will also depend on how the amp is wired and often amps have some sort of pretection built in. You may well just blow a fuse before the amp smokes.

Some newer amps such have protection circuits but don't abuse them as they get stressed!

But really you should avoid this at all cost just in case and thank whatever god you choose to worship that you were lucky this time :P

no i know.....its bad news.....thats why i've taken to unplugging it all together every time so i dont forget to check it and make sure its seated properly. last thing i want to to is fry it and end up with a 2500$ paperweight...lol i just didnt know if it was something that would be noticeable immediately or if it might be something that would deteriorate over time.
Basically, if it still works you're fine. The main risk there is to the OT, but if that went you'd know.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by tubetime86
Basically, if it still works you're fine. The main risk there is to the OT, but if that went you'd know.

+1.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X