Hi, I recently decided to buy a whole new rig, I've ordered a Gibson SG, and an eminence loaded 2x12 cab, just need a head. I have a Peavey Bandit 112, it's served me well, but no longer makes the grade.

I'm considering the Jet City JCA100h, the Peavey Windsor, and I've been looking at the Bugera range, but frankly, I don't know which Bugera to pick, and I've heard some bad things about them.

Budget - Around £500

I play a range of styles, but they all come under the banner of rock. From Free to Iron Maiden.

I know the Windsor is a 1 channel amp, and I don't care, cleans aren't a concern.
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
I'd go for the Peavey but I've not had any experience with either amp, so I can't really give a fair comparison. It just seems that the Windsor is built for the styles you listed.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
I agree that the Windsor would be a better fit.

You should also look into getting a Boss SD-1 and an EQ pedal. Set the Windsor to sound good for Free (from a quick google search, it looks like they used Plexis), then kick in the OD + EQ for Maiden.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cheers, looks like I'm going with the Windsor.
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Personally, I think the JCA is ten times the amp the Windsor is. The Windsor would still be suitable for what you want to play, but the JCA just seems like a much better amp to me.
yeah man for sure jet city. not heard much praise about windsors. like ever.
Gibson SG Special Faded(Super Distortion/PAF Pro)
Carvin V3M
Jet City JCA2112RC
Taylor 114e
Ibanez SR300e

Quote by Delanoir
In 60 years, there will still be Opeth.
You know why?
Death ain't got **** on Mikael.
Quote by Linqua5150
yeah man for sure jet city. not heard much praise about windsors. like ever.

Here I am, praising it.

Windsors go for like $250, easy. I forgot the exact number, I want to say $12 - It's ~$12 away from being modded to exact JCM800 specs. It can also be modded to Plexi specs for around the same price.

The Jet City is cool, but the Windsor essentially *is* a Plexi/800.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Winsdors don't really sound good. I don't care if they are basically Jcm 800 clones, I've olayed them and I've played Jcm 800s and I've never been impressed by the windsor. I like the jet city amps though. Great value and surprisingly well built
I'm biased against JCA because of how bad the 20h and the Picovalve are.

Peavey Windsors have reliability issues. Tried 3 at Guitar Center, and they were all broken. May have been someone else's doing, but still turned me off.

The Valveking now... The cleans are more than usable, even if that's not what you need. The lead channel is really great though. It can do more than well enough for what you need.
laney gh50L

i should add i haven't tried thejet city, though.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Peavey VTM.

/thread
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
The Jet City seems like a lovely amp, but the tone I'm going for, seems to be the Windsors territory.

One of my favourite guitar tones ever is in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFtywrOTnHw

From what I can tell, it looks like Justin is using a Dual Rectifier and Dan is using a Plexi.

On another note, I found an insane deal on a Marshall Mode Four, any thoughts?
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423

Both me and the other guitarsit in my band recorded straight into a Marshall Mode Four for our second demo. I rate it quite highly. If you want to hear some examples of it, you can hear them here: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/onlythegood666/music. The songs were: A Target In Your Sight, Devil My Care and Smoke In My Eyes. We both put the gain to '11' on the lead channel but I have no doubt it can achieve both Free and Iron Maiden tones. Hope this helps.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Quote by G-Dog_666
Both me and the other guitarsit in my band recorded straight into a Marshall Mode Four for our second demo. I rate it quite highly. If you want to hear some examples of it, you can hear them here: http://artists.ultimate-guitar.com/onlythegood666/music. The songs were: A Target In Your Sight, Devil My Care and Smoke In My Eyes. We both put the gain to '11' on the lead channel but I have no doubt it can achieve both Free and Iron Maiden tones. Hope this helps.

That's a pretty cool tone you got going on there, but not quite what I'm going for. I'm kinda looking for an Airbourne/The Darkness kinda tone. Nice tunes btw, sounds quite NWOBHM, reminds me of Blitzkrieg
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by Any7423
That's a pretty cool tone you got going on there, but not quite what I'm going for. I'm kinda looking for an Airbourne/The Darkness kinda tone. Nice tunes btw, sounds quite NWOBHM, reminds me of Blitzkrieg

Oh I know it's not the sound you're specifically looking for. I was going for a NWOBHM tone. I'm just saying it can get that heavy, so that's your Iron Maiden sound sorted. Then if you lower the gain you can get a more crunchy sound ala Free. I didn't have much time to mess around with it as we only had 10 hours to record but I'm sure you could get your 'I Believe In A Thing Called Love' tone out of it no problem. You'd just need to dial back the gain, up the volume and tweak the EQ.
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Quote by Any7423
The Jet City seems like a lovely amp, but the tone I'm going for, seems to be the Windsors territory.

One of my favourite guitar tones ever is in this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFtywrOTnHw

From what I can tell, it looks like Justin is using a Dual Rectifier and Dan is using a Plexi.

i wouldn't

i know the tones you're looking at seem to be more marshally (i haven't tried the jetcity, but i've tried a soldano avenger- killer, but a bit more modern than you probably need). that's why i suggested the laney gh50L, especially when you said cleans weren't important. it's basically (far as i'm aware) a hot rodded jcm800. It's far better than a windsor.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
+1 to what Dave said. I think the Jet City would be close enough for a Darkness tone, but a Laney GH50L is more suitable even. It's also a lot nicer than a Windsor... seriously, Windsors may be available for outrageously low prices in the States, but in the UK, a GH50L is only marginally more expensive and just a better amp.

I have one and it does a fine job getting tones like in that video.
ditto

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Dave's Laney suggestion is a very good one for such tones

But I've gotta say it again...
Peavey VTM

They built them for just a few years because Marshall got all butthurt since they were practically a JCM800 from the same era. And the best part? Nobody knows about them and they sell for dirt cheap. You can pick up a 120W model for around $250-300. They have little DIP switches on the front and you can really shape their sound for all sorts of tones.
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 7, 2012,
^ i certainly wasn't suggesting one wouldn't work- i've never tried one, but i've heard pretty much what you're saying about them (and see no reason to doubt it).

Just my only concern is that being in the UK one might be hard to find. A laney would likely be much easier to find (and might be cheaper anyway).

But certainly it'd be worth considering if one comes up.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I somehow completely missed the UK part of this

Laney GH50L is probably your best bet, considering you're in the UK. If you can track down a VTM it would be a serious contender too. Neither are a 'wrong' choice per say
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

i can agree with that
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'd take the JCA100 over the Windsor but if a GH50L isn't much more expensive I'd grab one of those. The JCA100's are very nice though; got some of that Soldano mojo going on.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
6505, derp.

Seriously though, get the Laney.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.