Page 1 of 4
...or football and football.

There seems to be a great deal of butthurtedness on both sides about how to label these two sports. My question here is this; who cares?

Now, this is not a place to debate which sport you think is better. This is simply about how they're named and why people get all up in arms.

To Americans: It looks like an egg, we carry it with our hands, so of course they're going to call it hand-egg, no matter how ridiculous that sounds. Oh well, get over it, we still call it football.

To the rest of the world: Yeah, it's a ball, you kick it with your foot. It makes sense. Americans just like calling their sport football and yours soccer. Does it really affect anything? No. Get over it. You can still call it football.

tl;dr who cares what you call it? Get over it.

Your thoughts?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
I think American football is objectively a much more exciting and dramatic sport.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
tl;dr hockey

I think football and soccer are boring but I'll watch if there's nothing else on. Aussie rules is marginally better
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Mar 6, 2012,
That could actually be the most moronic thing I've read on UG. I don't care in the slightest about either sport, but I do know that is dumb.
Hopefully this thread will change people's opinions on the matter.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by SG_dave
Like this argument matters?

Everyone knows Rugby is the most superior sport in existence.
The "brutality" of American Football, with the speed/continuity of Association Football.

What speed and continuity? It's all the same boring game with penalties, grown men crying and no goals. Oh wait I guess that is continuity.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
I think on a multi-national site like this, it might help if people make it clear which football they're talking about. When you're making a thread about them, for example, it doesn't hurt to just say "football (NFL)" or "football (soccer)" and so on. At least then it'll cut down on users coming into threads expecting "their" variety.

Having said that, if people go into a thread and see it's about a different kind of football, all it takes is a couple of clicks of the back button (or backspace button) to be back where they started. That's quicker than being all "THIS IS THE WRONG SPORT."
Handegg sounds funny and should become the correct terminology.
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by Ichikurosaki
i never learned the difference between handegg and rugby

Rugby has no downs, and you can't throw/pass it forward.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by Kensai
What speed and continuity? It's all the same boring game with penalties, grown men crying and no goals. Oh wait I guess that is continuity.

More the fact that gameplay lasts for more than 5 seconds at a time

I personally don't watch football, the professional game went to shit a long time ago.
Quote by whalepudding
Handegg sounds funny and should become the correct terminology.

Only if they change association football to (something)-truncated-icosahedron.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by JustRooster
My question here is this; who cares?

Obviously you do if you are so up in arms about it that you're making a thread.
Quote by jimmy hendrix 2
Don't argue with my new deity.
This is football:

Everything else is irrelevant.

EDIT:
F.C. PORTO ALLEZ!!!
...Just because F.C. Porto is ALWAYS relevant.
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Last edited by Linkerman at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by captainsnazz
I have no interest in anything involving sweaty men playing with balls of any description.

You are missing out on quite a lot.
Sadly my favourite contact sport (Aussie Rules Football) is the easiest to take the piss out of. It's a bunch of hairy sweaty men running around in tight singlets and short shorts trying to grab eachother just so they can have a little ball .
I'm from Canada and I think calling handegg "football" is stupid as well. Soccer is played with your feet, hence FOOTball. Handegg is played with mostly hands, hence HANDegg. That being said - look at rugby. Handegg 2?
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Handegg? Seriously? What a ****ing stupid name.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by naedauuf
I'm from Canada and I think calling handegg "football" is stupid as well. Soccer is played with your feet, hence FOOTball. Handegg is played with mostly hands, hence HANDegg. That being said - look at rugby. Handegg 2?

You obviously don't know where the name "football" comes from, do you?
I don't care much about any of these two, but football as soccer would make more sense to me, hand-egg is fine for 'Mericuhan football, just as ridiculous as the game to watch.
Not sure if a sig is a necessity.
Quote by naedauuf

Rugby was created in a town called, funnily enough, Rugby.

I was originally a variation of Association Football that universities took up as a competition sport in it's own right.
I like both but I find American football much more exciting.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Football is great. American football is great.
Quote by Fassa Albrecht
You can't prove that people DON'T walk on water. turn water into wine etc.
Quote by theogonia777
You obviously don't know where the name "football" comes from, do you?

I don't know, seems pretty straight forward. FOOT and BALL. You play with a ball using your feet.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by Todd Hart
Handegg? Seriously? What a ****ing stupid name.

It's a joke, it's just emphasizing the fact that football is a silly name to describe American football.

But any way Americans and Australians can sit comfortably in their own bubble calling it soccer, while the rest of the world calls it football
Quote by Linkerman
This is soccer:

FTFY
~don't finkdinkle when ur supposed to be dimpdickin~
Quote by Minkaro
I swear, every time I see you post it's angry.

I sustain a peaceful and happy disposition in real life by maintaining an incredibly angry one on the internet.
Quote by Todd Hart
I sustain a peaceful and happy disposition in real life by maintaining an incredibly angry one on the internet.

I FUCKING HATE WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT!
If people couldn't find anything to bitch about, they'd never speak to one another.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Quote by Primus2112
FTFY

You're wrong.
As the name indicates, football is a sport played with the foot.

In most non-english speaking countries the word "soccer" doesn't even have translation.
This is football, or as we call it in my country, Portugal, futebol:

Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
Quote by naedauuf
I don't know, seems pretty straight forward. FOOT and BALL. You play with a ball using your feet.

Looks like that's a "no" then.

Quote by Linkerman
You're wrong.

Well actually...

The name "football" came around in the middle ages or whenever. A long time ago. Now, at this time, there were a number of sports such as polo, which were played by rich people. Now, poor people didn't have horses, so they played poor people sports on foot, hence the name football. American football, association football, Australian rules football, Canadian football, Gaelic football, the various codes of rugby (league, union), etc all evolved from these games.

And so the term football denotes that these games were played by advancing the ball on foot as opposed to on horseback. Therefore calling American football et al "football" is perfectly logical based on this.
Where does the name "soccer" come from anyway?
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by Linkerman
You're wrong.

In most non-english speaking countries the word "soccer" doesn't even have translation.
This is football, or as we call it in my country, Portugal, futebol:

Quote by whoomit
I FUCKING HATE WHEN PEOPLE DO THAT!

You know what, whoomit, you can sit on my middle finger and swivel! **** you! ****ing asshole!
Page 1 of 4