hey guys(and girls). Im looking into buying a tube preamp. My budget is bout 300 bucks. I will be running it through a Mosvalve 962 poweramp out to a 4x12. I play all styles from Niel Young right on up to Killswitch Engage type metal. I wanna run my Line 6 XT Live thru it for fx.
Im looking at such great preamps like the ADA MP1, Peavey Rockmaster, Rocktron Gainiac ii, etc. Cant afford a tri-axsis or anything that high in price yet. So gimme some ideas here. Thanks!
Your options will be limited with that budget. Maybe something Peavey?
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
yea i realize the options are slim but ive seen the above mentioned ones go used anywhere from 200 to 400 bucks. Any other suggestions? I do know i want a tube preamp.
You should really just save for a while and see if you can't find an old Bogner Fish.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Quote by R45VT
Have you looked at the engl es530?

I don't know the used price.

This is what you need.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by stratman_13
You should really just save for a while and see if you can't find an old Bogner Fish.

Those still go for ridiculous prices, IF you can find one at all. I do, however, second the idea of saving more money. It will open up a lot more really good options (used). I paid <800 for my Triaxis, and considerably less for my Mesa Studio Pre.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by Vulcan
Those still go for ridiculous prices, IF you can find one at all. I do, however, second the idea of saving more money. It will open up a lot more really good options (used). I paid <800 for my Triaxis, and considerably less for my Mesa Studio Pre.

The Fish was more of a half-joking suggestion.

But you're really not going to get a great preamp for ~300
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
thanks guys! I actually looked at a Mesa Dual Rec studio pre. Is the difference between that and the actual head that much? If any? Ive seen the Mesa V-TWIN pedal preamp go for bout between $200 and $300 also.
I was also thinking bout the Digitech 2101 or something in that series. Im actualy leaning more towards the ADA MP-1.
Or how bout any SOLID state rack preamps for that matter? Tech 21 ps1 or something like that?
Do you mean the Recto preamp or the Studio preamp as they are both very different beasts. The studio is based off the MkII preamp and can be modded to MkII-C+ spec for proper metal shenanigans and is way cheaper then a recto preamp.

Other than that I will add another rec for the E530 as I really enjoyed owning one a few years back. I only sold it to buy my Diezel and would happily own another, I just loved the 4 band eq on channel 2
ESP M-1 - Dimarzio Super3
Ibanez RG3270 ToneZone/Blue Velvet/Paf Pro
Ibanez RG1527
PRS CE22
Mercer Blackmachine Replica

Diezel Herbert
Diezel Einstein Combo
TC GMajor

Gain Wh0re and Diezel Mafioso
Quote by halikus
Do you mean the Recto preamp or the Studio preamp as they are both very different beasts. The studio is based off the MkII preamp and can be modded to MkII-C+ spec for proper metal shenanigans and is way cheaper then a recto preamp.

Only problem with the Studio Pre is that almost everyone has found that you end up compromising either your clean channel or your gain channel to get the other one just right. Only one set of controls for both channels makes this a great studio unit, but not quite so good for live use. Otherwise, it's a superb-sounding unit. The Recto Pre really needs the Recto amp to go with it. Again, it sounds fantastic and is far more versatile than one might think from the name. I have both of these pres, and wouldn't part with either.
PRS SC245
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Quilter OD200, 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
find a mp1 or a mp2 on ebay those are great preamps
RG320DXQM
RG4EXQM1
S370DX
GRGA42QA
Washburn WR 150
lotus les paul copy
special 112
valveking 100 watt head
ADA MP1 & MP2
QUDRAVERB
Msp4
MORLEY BAD HORSIE WAH
RX412 Randall cab
2x12 with eminence legends
im pretty sure it was the Recto pre. My local GC wanted $1000 for it. Im using my Line6 Pod XTlive for my preamp section now. That goes into BBE maximizer then to the Mosvale 962 then out to the 4x12(eminence man o war speakers) but im getting tired of the pod sound as far as gain and my distortion sound. Great fx tho.
I bought a used Peavey Rockmaster preamp off ebay approx a year ago for £122. I power it with an Engl 840/50 valve power amp (again, ebay £270) and throw it out of an Ashdown Fallen angel 4x12 (guess what? Yep, ebay £100.) Closest comparison is 5150/6565 (no surprise there) but it makes them sound a bit thin (I have done direct sound comparisons so I know I'm not exagerating). This set up should also qualify as the worlds loudest amp- gig volume has the Engl at 1 and the peavey at 1.5/1.75, approx 2/2.5% of total output.
Don't say it can't be done on a budget, I can kill almost any other amp on the planet for £500!!!
^Please don't bump 2 1/2 month old threads.

Though, I agree - The Rockmaster is a cool preamp, as is the ADA MP1 for the price.

FWIW, I thought the Recto preamp was horrible.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com