Page 1 of 9
Yea, this thread is about tipping servers at resturants.

I find it annoyig that servers are pretty much at a point where they expect a healthy tip for just doing thier job. The way I see it is that a tip is essentially a reward for excellent service from the customer, but in order to earn a tip, you hve to bust your ass.

The reason I say this is because over the weekend I was at a desert priented resturant with my girlfriend after a movie, we then found out that a couple of our close friends were in the area and we wanted them to join us at this resturant. So I told asked a waitress if we could move to a larger table to accomodate the extra people. So my girlfriend moved our stuff to the new table while I went outside to get our friends. When I came back, we sat down at the new table. Shortly after, the waitress I spoke to earlier came to us and said that we had to move back to our old table because the waitress that served us there wouldnt get a tip otherwise. So im essentially like wtf why are you guys complaining about your tips to me? Amd thing got complicated but we worked a way that would give the original waitress her tip as well as the waitress at the new table.
So the food came and we started eating the desert. Half hour later nobody came to take the order for our friends so I told them Id drive them to Timms and wed pay and leave.

So when the bill comes, the eaitress who was bitching about her tip was practically breathing down my neck as I was getting the change to pay for everything so ofc by now Im pissed so I ledt an absurdly small tip. (only enough to round tp the nearest $, which was under 20 cents)

And I used to work in the kitchen of a fairly upscale resturant so Im used to hearing servers complain about things like only getting a 12% tip as a posed to 15%.

Does this expectation of a healthy tip piss anyone else off? (btw sorry for the rant)
In the uk , we don't feel the need to tip because we have a minimum wage that is enough to survive.

People get paid a wage , why the f*** should i have to give them some of my hard earned money like they are some sort of beggar? I don't give a shop owner an extra pound every time i go in to buy a newspaper and i don't tip a bus driver for driving me where hes paid to take me , why the hell should a lazy waiter be different?

It's the employers job to pay the staff , not mine. greedy bastards.
Last edited by burghUK at Mar 6, 2012,
The American tipping culture is retarded. Everywhere else people round it up to the nearest few pounds/euros/whatever other non-retarded currencies that normal people use.
Tipping is retarded. When I eat a $15 dollar meal, you give me my food and drink and get a (let's say) 10% tip of $1.5.

Then when I eat a nice place and spend $150 dollars, the waiter would do the same job and get a 10% tip of $15.

Makes no sense. Tipping is the dumbest thing ever.

brb working an unskilled job that anyone can do and bringing home an effective $17/hr wage.

I don't get tipped at my work and my job is much more difficult than bringing people food.

In b4 waiters claim their job is so difficult, like always
in b4 "we make below minimum wage" (nope)
The lake was silent for some time. Finally it said:
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
If you're a server and get mad about not being tipped even though you "worked hard", you lack the social skills and ability to work under pressure to be cut out for the job.

Can't wait for this thread to turn into the inevitable shitstorm though. Prove me wrong, bitches.
I deliver pizza, so I am also a slave to the tippers. I'm interested to hear people's opinions.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
People fear if they don't tip the waiters will give them bad service or mess with their food next time.

Just gives further evidence that waiters (and tipping culture) are scum.
"I weep for Narcissus, but I never noticed that Narcissus was beautiful. I weep because, each time he knelt beside my banks, I could see, in the depths of his eyes, my own beauty reflected."
I only give tips if they go out fo their way to do something, or something happens that makes their job more difficult etc. Vast majority of the time I would never do it
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
Quote by burghUK
In the uk , we don't feel the need to tip because we have a minimum wage that is enough to survive.

People get paid a wage , why the f*** should i have to give them some of my hard earned money like they are some sort of beggar? I don't give a shop owner an extra pound every time i go in to buy a newspaper and i don't tip a bus driver for driving me where hes paid to take me , why the hell should a lazy waiter be different?

It's the employers job to pay the staff , not mine. greedy bastards.

Waiters/waitresses here get paid significantly less than minimum wage. They in fact have their own separate minimum wage. If they aren't tipped, they'll make next to no money.

If tips weren't given and they were paid more by their employer, food prices at restaurants would increase significantly to cover the extra wage cost.

In the end it's probably cheaper for the consumer to leave a tip than to pay for increased meal prices.

I could be wrong though.
Where I worked servers made less than minumum wage and runners made way more cause they weren't tipped lol
Laws allow tipped employees to be paid under minumum wage in some states.

^^NINJA'D >
But he's right, you'd pay more per meal if servers were actually paid minimum wage or more.
Last edited by DukeDeRox at Mar 6, 2012,
this conversation has already been filmed, its the first 10 minutes of Reservoir Dogs
Quote by WantsLesPaul
You are a sick man, Riley.
Quote by CrunchyRoll
People fear if they don't tip the waiters will give them bad service or mess with their food next time.

Just gives further evidence that waiters are scum.

I was a waiter for a year, and I was probably the only one on staff who didn't take it as a personal attack if I didn't get tipped.

It's encouraged in my country, but not required by law. Get over it, nobody owes you a living except your employers.
Over here (ontario) you give them tips because they do make a decent amount below minimum wage like 8.75/hr instead of 10.25/hr... So in that case I don't really mind tipping 15% to be honest. When they expect more or so for doing a shitty job then you leave nothing, simple as that.
GEAR:
Epiphone Les Paul Studio Deluxe
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

"There's nothing constant in the universe.
All ebb and flow, and every shape that's born,
bears in it's womb, the seeds of change".
From the couple months I worked in a kitchen, I realised how retared it is, like any of the cooks or dishwashers work alot harder and get nothing. Yea that makes sense.

Btw to the guy who makes 17$/H. What do you do? Im not trying to flame you or call bull, Im just curious
Lol.. All I can hear is Dwight Schrute's voice in my head:

"Why tip someone for a job I’m capable of doing myself? I can deliver food. I can drive a taxi. I can, and do, cut my own hair. I did however, tip my urologist, because I am unable to pulverize my own kidney stones."
I tip a normal amount, but I always think to myself that they are probably making pretty good money.
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by darkwolf291
Yes, they do.
In NJ, Minimum wage is $7.25 an hour.
Most waiters/waitresses make $2.25 an hour.
Where I work ,we pay them $4.25 an hour

But why is that the customer's problem?

It's nice to tip, sure, I do it. But why do servers feel so entitled?
Quote by daytripper75

Waiters/waitresses here get paid significantly less than minimum wage. They in fact have their own separate minimum wage. If they aren't tipped, they'll make next to no money.

How can it be legal to pay people less than minimum wage?
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart

They have a separate minimum for servers, with the expectation that the rest will be supplemented with tips.

In reality they are making more than the normal minimum wage if you take the tips combined with their hourly wage.
Quote by daytripper75
They have a separate minimum for servers, with the expectation that the rest will be supplemented with tips.

In reality they are making more than the normal minimum wage if you take the tips combined with their hourly wage.

So waiters have different rights to the rest of the population? ' the ****?
Ok fine if they get paid less than minimum wage but the resturant I worked at it was pretty close to minimum wage.

Whats id make in 3 days over 3 shifts (about 200$) waiters at my resturant made in 1 8 hour shift tops. If they worked the hours I worked there theyd easily double maybe even triple what I make mainly from tips
Quote by Todd Hart

Here in the US certain states have laws that state employers are allowed to pay below minimum wage if the job meets a certain standard for tipping.
How is that judged? Depends on the state and the crazy people that make our laws.
Does it make sense? No.

Companies just like saving money I guess.
Quote by daytripper75

This. It's just part of the system. I typically tip 20%, and expect to, unless the service is poor, in which case, that drops considerably. If I don't have the money to tip, I don't go out to eat, because it's not fair to shaft a waiter. They ARE entitled to tips here, and that's just how it is, so get over it, eurofags.
Quote by Todd Hart
So waiters have different rights to the rest of the population? ' the ****?

Not different rights per say, but any job where tipping is a common thing can be payed less than minimum wage over here. It's expected that the tips make up the rest of your missing pay.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by Siv During Livh

Quote by muffinduck01
Not different rights per say, but any job where tipping is a common thing can be payed less than minimum wage over here. It's expected that the tips make up the rest of your missing pay.

This is why your economy is royally ****ed.

Well, not royally; damn colonies and your monarchlessness.
I actually find I make more from my wage+tips as a Pizza Delivery guy then my sister does bagging groceries at the super market, making minimum wage. I make between $40 to $50 a night in tips alone.
Quote by MakinLattes
Quote by Siv During Livh

If the server does a good job, gets the order right, is friendly, puts up with my wife's request for substitutions (happens every time), then I have no problem tipping him/her 20%.
But if they do their job in a way that seemed burdensome, I tip less then 10%
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Quote by maker's marked
If the server does a good job, gets the order right, is friendly, puts up with my wife's request for substitutions (happens every time), then I have no problem tipping him/her 20%.
But if they do their job in a way that seemed burdensome, I tip less then 10%

You still tip for bad service?
Quote by Todd Hart
You still tip for bad service?

If it was really bad, then no. But if it's just so-so, then I'll still tip a little.

I don't share Mr. Pink's view.
I'd like to help, but not as much as I'd like not to.

"To be successful, you need to be a good musician. To be popular, you just need to be fashionable" - Ritchie Blackmore
Honestly I don't care whether or not people want to tip or not (I'm not a waiter, never have been). What I don't understand is the fact that people cry about it all the time.

Here's how I see it: You go to a restaurant knowing full well a tip is intended from you, yet you cry when you have to give one. If that you're that broke to pitch out $1.50 don't go out to eat. If you're crying about a $15 tip on a $150 bill, then you're just cheap. If you can fork out that much for a meal, what's $15 to you? If you don't wanna tip, make your own food and serve it to yourself. That's why you're giving a tip, so you don't have to make the food and bring it to your own table or get up to refill your glass.

I don't know about you guys, but a lot of places where I'm from have to tip out the kitchen as well. So the waitresses give 20% or something of their tips to the cooks.
GEAR:
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W

If they aren't happy not being tipped then they should find another career path.

You don't stick in a job if its not paying enough , its common sense. I'm at a restraunt to eat , not to pay the waiters rent.
Quote by burghUK
If they aren't happy not being tipped then they should find another career path.

You don't stick in a job if its not paying enough , its common sense. I'm at a restraunt to eat , not to pay the waiters rent.

Yes, because being a waiter is obviously what they want to be for the rest of their life.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by burghUK

Yup, the job market is brimming with opportunities and vacancies at the moment...
Quote by darkwolf291
Yes, they do.
In NJ, Minimum wage is $7.25 an hour.
Most waiters/waitresses make $2.25 an hour.
Where I work ,we pay them $4.25 an hour

Nope. It's illegal to be paid under minimum wage.

If they only average out to 4.50 an hour with a 7.0 min wage, the employer must pay the difference.

Thus, if no tips were made, they would make minimum wage.

Therefore, they do not make less than minimum wage.
I don't believe in tipping either. The worst is tipping a tattoo artist, in another forum I visit Americans typically say they tip $100+ dollars on top of the $150 (or more) per hour they spend getting the tattoo. Imagine going in for 8 hours giving the guy $1200 (more than some people get in a month!) then giving him even more money.

Why tip a Pizza boy who's job is delivering pizza but not tip a bus driver, or a dentist or a cashier or any other person who is doing their job.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by CrunchyRoll
Nope. It's illegal to be paid under minimum wage.

If they only average out to 4.50 an hour with a 7.0 min wage, the employer must pay the difference.

Thus, if no tips were made, they would make minimum wage.

Therefore, they do not make less than minimum wage.

All depends where you're from buddy. I can tell you right now if I were a waiter and didn't get one tip I would not be making the same minimum wage as a non-service job worker.

Don't believe me? Source
GEAR:
ESP LTD EX-360
Peavey VYPYR 30W