Poll: What are your thoughts on smart phones?
Poll Options
View poll results: What are your thoughts on smart phones?
I have one, and I couldn't live without it
32 30%
I have one, and I don't really need it
34 32%
I don't have one, but I wish I did
15 14%
I don't have one, and I'm proud like TS
24 23%
Voters: 105.
Page 1 of 2
I don't think they are. I get along just fine with my old ass phone that doesn't have internet capabilities or what not. Most of the people who I see with smart phones only play games on them anyway, so it's like why even spend hundreds of dollars on them anyway?

Do you have smart phones pit? Do you think they are useful? And this can even extend to touch iPods/iPads and other fancy devices.
I dont think its "necessary" but makes my life >9000x more convenient having my emails in my pocket.
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
No one thinks they're necessary. Just a nice bonus to a regular phone.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
I dont think its "necessary" but makes my life >9000x more convenient having my emails in my pocket.

This.

Having e-mail, a GPS, google, or whatever with me all the time REALLY helps.
Quote by JimmyBanks6
I dont think its "necessary" but makes my life >9000x more convenient

Agreed. I can check anything on the internet, got an app for my busses and tram times, check my e-mail, anything on a map, if stores are open, my university schedule and locations, google calendar, etc.

It's just really, really useful. Not necessary, though, as I got along without one before.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
Definitely not necessary.

But it is damn convenient to be able to check email, look up things, use GPS or maps, and use banking from your pocket.
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
i have a smart phone and what do i ue it for?
calling and texting and occasional web use

thats it...

edit: yeah GPS is very helpful, even thought the maps app sucks balls. like huge hairy monkey balls. with ticks.
Last edited by jrcsgtpeppers at Mar 6, 2012,
I have a regular stupidphone. A smartphone would be cool but the fees are expensive as shit.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
As a bartender it'd be really nice to have that encyclopedia in my phone, but I dont have the patience for them.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I find mine extremely handy. I use it to use the internet while on the road *not the driver*, which is a lot lately. Youtube Mobile, internet browser, and Twitter mobile keep me from getting bored. Emails get to me a few minutes/hours late, but I don't get important enough emails for that to matter.
Fanfiction profile: Kutlessrocker's Fanfiction profile. Click Me!

Quote by BrokenBricks
haha yah, kinda. cows are such hilarious creatures, they would be so worthless in nature. the totality of their existence is to taste good with A1 poured on them.
I'd like one just for google maps and stuff but I don't really need one. I don't like the idea of being tied to my e-mail 24/7
Had my old phone for 5 years. Went to look for a new smart phone because I thought they were cheap due to everyone having one. Turns out they're not! I'll stick to my old phone thanks and save some cash.
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
None of the poll options fit my opinion on the matter.
Check out my lyrics! (C4C)

Critical Condition
Tombstone

Quote by SteveHouse
That's actually the point of this. Tell your inner editor to shut the fock up and just write.
Got one and I could live without it, but it sure as hell makes busing between collage and home go a lot faster.
My internet was down for a few hours last night, and my phone saved the day.
Last edited by Gyroscope : Tomorrow at 01:00 PM.
Nothing is really "necessary". You don't need anything at all except food and water.

Sure I could be getting by with a 1st generation ipod and a cell phone from 2002, but why should I when I can afford a 4th gen itouch and iphone 4s?

I'm sure we could all get along nicely with a $100 squire strat, but when you simply want a nice guitar why shouldn't you buy it if you have the capability to?

But I really like the convenience of having the internet at my fingertips. It makes things just a little bit easier, like checking my grades in class to see if the teachers put it in correctly, checking snow reports/ road reports on my way to ski, checking baseball schedule, or if I'm curious about something I can look it up right away. Little things like those that just make life a little easier.
I smoke like Rasta, got hair like pasta
I be sippin' on them shots then bustin' rhymes like Busta

Load up the bong, crank up the song, let the informa call 911
Last edited by vanhailin at Mar 6, 2012,
That's like asking is the wheel necessary, and the answer is no- but it makes our lives a helluva lot more convenient. I have one of the best smartphones, the Samsung Galaxy SII, and I'd say it's actually got way more features than I really need..
It is useless where you live where I live. Mobile internet speeds are worse than dial up and you'd pay more than it would cost for a 5 Mb/s line.

And they advertise '4g' here which is like 2 Mb/s max (so you'd mostly likely get way less than that).
The content of this signature is pretty much irrelevant
I don't even use my laptop since I got an iPhone. I do all of my personal email and work emailing on my phone, it holds all of my calendars, appointments and reminders and contacts and of course, it's a phone. No, it's not necessary but it makes my life OVER 9000 times easier. Probably not quite that much, but seriously.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I'm sure all my nude pictures are being accessed by my apps and being fapped to by employees at google.
I have a Nokia Lumia 800 and it's probably overkill. I don't have many apps, I just really like the design of the phone and the operating system.
The only apps I went and downloaded were a dictionary, currency converter, BBC and HuffPost (i know i'm a square)

The things I do really appreciate having are my synced email, calender, and the GPS for maps and satnav. Saved my ass when walking through Edinburgh yesterday!
i broke my brand new sony ericcson android smartphone by dropping a plate on it while weihgtlifting

i think it was subconsciously intentional because i hated calling my girlfriend, hated texting friends that mean nothing to me, and i absolutely ****ing hate ANYBODY calling me to be honest
Quote by SilverSpurs616
That's like asking is the wheel necessary, and the answer is no- but it makes our lives a helluva lot more convenient. I have one of the best smartphones, the Samsung Galaxy SII, and I'd say it's actually got way more features than I really need..

I'd say the wheel is a helluva lot more necessary than a phone...
Quote by chev311e
I'd say the wheel is a helluva lot more necessary than a phone...

In some ways yeah, but think about a 2012 businessman. I would argue that a smart phone is more useful to them than a wheel.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
I don't even have a normal cellphone... how could it possibly be necessary?
Quote by Deliriumbassist

My two pennies- theory. Learn it.
Skills. Get them.
Hair. Grow it to your ass.

Quote by Dempsey68
i can only keep it up for about 30 seconds before my fingers cramp up =[

Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
Sorry, but because you listen to Tool doesn't mean you're intelligent.
Why does something have to be necessary to be worth having? Hell, this is a website dedicated to music - this is the home of the unnecessary.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Voted "I don't have one, but I wish I did". I don't think it's strictly necessary, but it's certainly convenient. Somewhat relevant, there's a tablet computer a la iPad in Robocop. Isn't is fucking badass how far technology has come, where we actually have things from Robocop in our houses? For the record, I think tablet computers are a complete waste of money. Laptops FTW.

Quote by CoreysMonster

I still like cho0onger more than the 2 of you

Quote by OneHappyCamper
joke's on you, i actually fuck my cat
Quote by Artemis Entreri
In some ways yeah, but think about a 2012 businessman. I would argue that a smart phone is more useful to them than a wheel.

Well even though this is sort of off topic, taking the phone out of the picture would hinder society 1000X less than taking out the wheel..even for that businessman. I think there are a lot of people out there who really would consider the smart phone necessary, I guess not many people in the pit, but still, the wheel is necessary and so is electricity and stuff like that...the smart phone? No.
They're just really kickass.

I want one. But Verizon's required $360/year data plan is what's not necessary. F*ck Verizon, stupid f*cks.
Quote by Robchappers
Ha ha love you to dude ;-)

Quote by fearofthemark
10/10 Slater is amazing

Fender Deluxe Roadhouse Strat
Ibanez RG4EXFM1
Washburn D46S
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
Fulltone OCD Overdrive
Boss SD-1 Overdrive
MXR M-148 Micro Chorus
Jet City JCA2112RC 20W
It's really really nice to have a smartphone. If you get lost, it's pretty quick to reorient yourself. When I have to use the bus system, it's pretty convenient to get quick info like that.
Battling FC: 0259 8373 3725
I ****ing love my Galaxy S2. Controls my computer, controls my home entertainment system, can play my entire music library from a streaming service, fast as hell, endlessly customizable, finds me great places to eat around Indianapolis, keeps me from getting lost on road trips, hides my important text messages behind several walls of security.

Didn't have a smartphone until this one, now I don't know what I'd do without it when it comes to media.
I need constant email access at all times, even when I'm not at a computer, because of work, so its a necessity for my living.
and worth every penny, but that's just my opinion
I Like Green!
Quote by blake1221
No Todd, you don't understand.

Music is my life.

Quote by Artemis Entreri
+1
Whether sarcasm or not, +1

Sadly, your life isn't necessary either.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Page 1 of 2