I agree with it in some forms or another
77 53%
Not too sure
20 14%
I stronlgy disagree with it
29 20%
Voters: 144.
Page 1 of 3
What are your thoughts on Nihilism? Would you call yourself a nihilist in any sense of the word?

For those who don't know, here are some Wikipedia definitions of Nihilism. It's relatively easy to get:

"Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value."

"Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived."

There's more to it than that, but this is enough to get the gist of it all.

For me, I used to really dislike Nihilism, mainly because it's very popular among angsty pessimistic teenagers, and I don't like those kind of people. However deep down I do feel like it's something very hard to argue against, which is why I think most people just turn their back to it and ignore it. At least that's what I do.
Last edited by The Madcap at Mar 6, 2012,
Nihilism is worse then Naziism.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
I'm not for or against nihilism. It's not exactly an issue one would take a side of.

I am a nihilist, if that's what you're asking.
Boring, retrograde, annoying way of thinking; it's followers tend to fit the same descriptors
My God, it's full of stars!
For the 'existential' half, I believe you fashion yourself a purpose in life. There isn't an objective purpose though.

For the 'moral' half, I believe that given a situation and context, the right (best) course of action can be reliably determined.
Quote by Dreadnought
Boring, retrograde, annoying way of thinking; it's followers tend to fit the same descriptors

Don't care, life is meaningless, blah blah.
I'm certainly existential nihilistic, but I don't see the lack of purpose as a negative thing. If anything it's the best bit about life. I don't see the need to ordain a purpose to life for it to be a wonderful thing. Art is purposeless, and yet it is undoubtedly one of the most incredible and enjoyable things humankind has ever indulged in.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Mar 6, 2012,
I'm somewhere between existentialist and nihilist. It depends on my mood, I guess
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by The Madcap
What are your thoughts on Nihilism? Would you call yourself a nihilist in any sense of the word?

For those who don't know, here are some Wikipedia definitions of Nihilism. It's relatively easy to get:

"Most commonly, nihilism is presented in the form of existential nihilism which argues that life is without objective meaning, purpose, or intrinsic value."

"Moral nihilists assert that morality does not inherently exist, and that any established moral values are abstractly contrived."

For me, I used to really dislike Nihilism, mainly because it's very popular among angsty pessimistic teenagers, and I don't like those kind of people. However deep down I do feel like it's something very hard to argue against, which is why I think most people just turn their back to it and ignore it.

I've never read up much on nihilism but the basic understanding I have is pretty much what you wrote. My opinion is the same as OP's, it's hard to argue against because it seems like the emergence of life is something that happened due to chance, therefore I see no reason why there would be some form of inherent value or meaning to life. Life does have subjective meaning though, life is what you make of it.
There are some points that I strongly agree with, in regards to Nihilism.

However, I've learned that dedicating yourself to a singular belief means you miss out on a lot of things in life. I try to incorporate the things I like in many philosophies. That way I feel like I am truly living to the fullest without missing out on something because I have blinders on.
Srs answer: I believe the only purpose in life is to survive, and that there are no set morals. All is relative. That doesn't mean you shouldn't set out to give life meaning or purpose in addition to survival, or become moral and all that jazz.

So I don't know where that puts me on the nihilistic scale.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Todd Hart
I'm certainly existential nihilistic, but I don't see the lack of purpose as a negative thing, though. If anything it's the best bit about life. I don't see the need to ordain a purpose to life for it to be a wonderful think. Art is purposeless, and yet it is undoubtedly one of the most incredible and enjoyable things humankind has ever indulged in.

This.
I'M A COWBOY
It's a complicated subject. I mean there are times in my life where my mind just asks me so many questions about life. Then there are times where I'm set to look for those happy feelings.

There's no point talking about it with someone who has everything going for him or her. Someone who's high on endorphins.
From the cosmological standpoint... Yes, life is essentially pointless and nothing we as humans do will ever affect the cosmos in any appreciable way.
It's unlikely that we will ever be able to leave our little solar system.

However, I have a broader view of things. In that we human beings have evolved intelligence (however imperfect), it is incumbent upon us to preserve what may be a very rare commodity in the universe.
Additionally, since I have no spiritual notions whatever, I think that a humanist approach to life is also incumbent upon us as a species. To maximize the potential for human beings; to eliminate to the degree possible the injustices and hazards of life.
To be sentient creatures able to appreciate a marvelous universe is a rare privledge and we should not abuse it.
I'm a nihilist, specifically noting mereological epistemological, moral, and existential.

That doesn't mean I'm a horrible person, in fact most people note I'm nicer than most.

EDIT: In person I don't think I've met another nihilist (aware of the fact I mean).

Also I'm not an angsty teenager.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Last edited by Deadlock Riff at Mar 6, 2012,
I studied it for a couple of years in college, and it does branch out a lot further than that into other philosophical ways of thinking.
The one that really got me was metaphysical nihilism. Blew my ****ing mind trying to comprehend it.

But yeah, I would say I do possess a fair few traits of that thinking. I think anyone who is completely devoid of cynicism is just still very naive.
I'm quite nihilistic in the sense that life is basically about survival and reproduction (no real point that should be fulfilled), but there are morals and almost rules we should live by.
But I think socially, I'm not really nihilistic, the human race has adapted to changes and evolved

Don't know why but I always link nihilism with ignorance
The time has come for all to see

The men behind the curtain cast at you disease

Yours Sincerely
Quote by Todd Hart
I'm certainly existential nihilistic, but I don't see the lack of purpose as a negative thing. If anything it's the best bit about life. I don't see the need to ordain a purpose to life for it to be a wonderful thing. Art is purposeless, and yet it is undoubtedly one of the most incredible and enjoyable things humankind has ever indulged in.

this
On the most surface level, yes. I don't believe that life has any intrinsic meaning or value, and this is generally a belief held by most atheists as there is nothing to give meaning. However, I expand further on the concept into Atheistic Existential. I adhere to the philosophy "l'existence précède l'essence" (Existence precedes essence) by Jean-Paul Sartre, which was cited in his essay Being and Nothingness. It essentially claims that first you exist or are born with no meaning nor value, but in life, you define yourself. We are the creators of meaning and value.
--------------╯╰--------------
A SIGNATURE.
--------------╮╭--------------
Imo, the people who walk around saying, blahblah life sucks, Im a nihilist herpderp. They're just morons.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

Quote by Deadlock Riff
Imo, the people who walk around saying, blahblah life sucks, Im a nihilist herpderp. They're just morons.

Amen. Nihilism doesn't state that life sucks, it's simply the (fairly obvious) point that there isn't actually a purpose to it.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart
Amen. Nihilism doesn't state that life sucks, it's simply the (fairly obvious) point that there isn't actually a purpose to it.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

F*ck nihilism.
You want some more seeneyj hate? WELL YOU CAN'T HAVE IT

You're all a bunch of f*cking slaves! - Jim Morrison

UG Awards
1st: Biggest Ego
1st: Most Likely To Become Famous
1st: Most Pretentious User
Quote by Todd Hart

So much this.
I am a nihilist in the sense that I don't believe in any objective purpose in anything. I find my own subjective meanings in everything though.
Nihilism is bad because it turns people into gloomy folk like the metal forum.
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
There's no way to prove a meaning of life, so I don't see a way to prove nihilism wrong. So it's correct!
However, I personally like to believe that the purpose of living is to have joy.
Contradictory? Maybe..
Quote by The Madcap

For me, I used to really dislike Nihilism, mainly because it's very popular among angsty pessimistic teenagers, and I don't like those kind of people. However deep down I do feel like it's something very hard to argue against, which is why I think most people just turn their back to it and ignore it. At least that's what I do.

hard to argue against but an incredibly annoying and cynical mindset
Chelsea FC

Quote by Blues Hippie
As for the swim team member that drowned, it just means the swim team just got a lot better. Same with him too, it's time to move on, the weakest link is gone...
First of all, LOL at "support" Nihilism.

I see it as a stance which simply criticizes and mocks all modes of philosophy and political discourse because, well, there is no inherent moral structure that's apparent in existence. Prove the positive; that there is a tangible moral structure, and you will disprove the base nihilistic claim. Unfortunately, morality is within the realm of the abstract not the tangible so disproving the claim would be utterly pointless.

EDIT: Claiming that such a view is cynical or that such people who hold it view humanity and morality solely negative is a misunderstanding of Nihilism. An understanding that morality and purpose are void of inherent value does not diminish the beauty of such things save for those who claim beauty is to be equated with inherent value.
Quote by mcw00t
"so you mean if the father is sterile, the kid will be sterile too?"

Proof God exists and evolution is a lie:
Quote by elguitarrista3
the prove is u because u did n create urself and ur parents dindt and their parents didnt and so on and we are not monkeys peace

Last edited by Rust_in_Peace34 at Mar 6, 2012,
I think as a lot of other people have said here: yeah I'd agree there's not objective intrinsic value in the world.

I think there is a moral truth across all human beings, but not something in the world or external of human beings. I don't know if you'd call that objective or not.

But also as everyone else has said: who cares? Who cares if it's not cosmologically significant what I do in my life, or that the universe doesn't care what I do?
I care. It matters to me because... because that's what I am. I am the kind of thing that creates value. That doesn't make value meaningless or life pointless, it just means that value comes from me.
It just means that meaning or purpose are parts of how humans think, as opposed to being objective and inherent and physical. I don't think that's a particularly pessimistic idea.
I have yet to meet a Nihilist that did not find a reason to live when presented with the probability of dying.
Quote by seabear70
I have yet to meet a Nihilist that did not find a reason to live when presented with the probability of dying.

I have two problems with this.

Firstly, nihilism doesn't mean you don't have a reason to live.

And secondly, how did every nihilist you've ever met have a near-death experience at some point after having met you? Was it some kind of freakish coincidence, or have you been going around maiming nihilists to make a point?
Last edited by whalepudding at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by moscaespañol
Life is meaningless.

inside my prettyboy shell of nice hair and a six pack and a brand new thirty grand sports car, this is who i really am
Page 1 of 3