How ya' doin' Ya'll?

On my first ever guitar, an old SG, never gets used. I recently started re-stringing it, polishing it. I want to put it into B Standard tuning (it's a 6string) what gauge is best?

Cheers UG -
Gear

Ibanez RGD320
BC Rich Bich
JimDeacon SG
Fender Mustang II
^ Odd that you found them tight. I should have thought 54 at C would still be on the looser end of the scale. Definitely playable (I personally use a 52 in C, granted it wouldn't be a noticeable difference).

Anyways, B is 7 string standard and that usually means a 56 for the lowest string. So depends on how you like your tension? If you want it fairly light then about 11 - 54/56 should work nicely. If you want it really tight then maybe aim towards something more like 13 - 66ish. Somewhere inbetween there should work.
. . ▄████▄ . ▄███▄
. █████████▀ . . . . . . . . . . . . ▄▄
.███▌█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█|█▐███▄▄
. ████████▄ . . . . . . . . . . . . . º º º º º º º
. . ▀████▀. ▀██▀
B standard? Personally I wouldn't go thinner than .013-.060. I wouldn't suggest a .056 for B, since the tension on it tuned to B is about a .009 in standard.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 6, 2012,
Quote by oneblackened
B standard? Personally I wouldn't go thinner than .013-.060. I wouldn't suggest a .056 for B, since the tension on it tuned to B is about a .009 in standard.

+1, this sounds about right. I'd go even heavier on the low B though. I have a 56 for my low C currently, and that's too floppy for me.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Random3
I would have suggested Ernie Ball Beefy Slinkies, which are 11-54.

I used to use them for C standard but I found them a bit tight.

Weird... I use Beefy Slinkies for Drop C and D standard and find them just right. You find them tight in C standard? In C standard and Drop B I use Not Even Slinkies and I they work ok for B standard as well even though they leave a little to be desired in tension... then again, I like my strings tighter. When I play in Drop D, I use a 10-46 set as well.

E Standard/Drop D = Regular Slinkies

D Standard/Drop C = Beefy Slinkies

C Standard/Drop B = Not Even Slinkies

B Standard/Drop A = Not Even Slinkies would work ok, but I'd get a 7 string set and throw out the highest string. 7-String Regular Slinkies are still higher gauge than a Not Even Slinkies set if you get rid of the high E from the package and that would be the equivalent of B standard on a six so you'd be good with, in my opinion, a 7-String Regular Slinkies set. But considering your guitar is a 25.5" scale, you could go with a thicker 7-String set. A .56 for the B might be a little less tight than you want and the strings in general all around might be a little less taught because a seven string is generally a larger scale length. I'd still go for a regular set and, if they aren't tight enough, step up to a thicker 7-String set.
Ibanez S2170FB Prestige + Crunch Lab
Ibanez RG1570MRR Prestige + Crunch Lab
Taylor 214CE
Peavey 6505MH + Orange PPC112 + TS9 + ISP Decimator + MXR 10-Band EQ

Watch and subscribe to my guitar ventures!
Search Nick Catelli on YouTube
Last edited by Krauser at Mar 6, 2012,
I mean, I use a 66 in B on my 7, so I agree with the heavier bit
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Quote by Krauser
E Standard/Drop D = Regular Slinkies

D Standard/Drop C = Beefy Slinkies

C Standard/Drop B = Not Even Slinkies

I use Skinny Top Heavy Bottoms now for my C standard guitar, and to me they really feel great, not loose at all. Guess it's a preference thing.
1) Buy a 7-string set of strings; Buy whatever gauge you'd normally use for E Standard on 6 string, just get the 7-string version.
2) Don't use the 1st string.

And you're done.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
something close to a 13-60. maybe even a tad bigger. on gibson scaled guitars you have to go even bigger than you normally would. not even slinkies are my go to strings for drop b and c standard but they may be lacking for b standard. i like em tight though.
my stuff:
schecter c-1+
ibanez rg3exfm1
schecter avenger 7-string with emgs
esp/ltd mh-50
peavey 6505+ 112 combo
tc electronic polytune
way huge green rhino
mxr micro flange
mxr smart gate
dunlop crybaby
The only issue with using a pre made 7 string set is that you're left with a wound 3rd, which is not to everyone's preference.

What gauges are you used to in standard tuning, with a string tension calculator it's possible to achieve the same tension as you would tuned to E.

Some pre packaged sets you could start with can go from around 11-56, 12-60, 13-62 (wound 3rd) for example, but it's all dependent upon what you prefer tension wise