I have a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 interface and an MXL 990 condenser mic that I've been using to record electric guitar, bass, and vocals. They work pretty well for what I need them to do. However, I just got a new guitar amp (Fender Blues Deluxe) that is significantly louder than my old one (VOX AC4), and I'm having clipping issues.

I have my mic about 6 inches away from the speaker (about 4 inches off-center, if you must know) and even with the gain control on the interface all the way down it still flashes orange and red, indicating that the signal is too strong. I know I could just turn the amp down, but then it just doesn't sound as good.

So am I missing something here? Why can't my interface handle signals from stuff that's anything above bedroom levels? I can't imagine it's the mic, because condenser mics like that are used to mic up amps at stage volumes.

Thanks,
Luke

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234
you sir, have just won for this statement. =D

Young Knees
^ i would question the interface if you turn the gain all the way down and you're getting a signal in.
Is there a pad for the input?

I haven't heard a lot of good things about the Scarlett series, unfortunately.
Let's party.
I don't think it has a pad.

Also, what does the instrument/line switch on each channel do? That might have something to do with this.

Quote by dullsilver_mike
The resonant frequency of the clitoris is too low for the guitar players to take care of.

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
You have your input gain on the Scarlett all the way down and it does this?
http://www.twitter.com/iamcIine

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Not got a problem with my Scarlett 2i2, I have an SM57 an inch from the grill and sometimes another condensor mic but I found it better to use this as a room mic placed about 4 feet away.
how does it look on your DAW? maybe you're just high on the meters in the interface
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Yes, the gain is all the way down on the interface and it still says that the signal is too strong. I don't think my DAW is the problem, since the ring around the gain knob on the Scarlett flashes red and orange to indicate clipping. I really don't get it.

Is my mic just making a signal that is too strong? Beezerk says that he uses an SM57, so could the mics make weaker/stronger signals that the other? I have no idea what's going on, but I don't like it.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Bump.

I tried it out with my brother's cheapo Alesis USB mixer and I had to pretty much turn all three volume controls down in order to get an okay level. That just doesn't seem right to me. If anyone has more information, that would be great.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Sounds to me like something could very well be wrong with the mic if you're having the issue with another piece of equipment.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
You're using a shitty condenser mic that cant handle loud volumes with a loud amp. You need a new mic, like a SM57
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
When I use my condenser mic along side my SM57 I have to have it at least a good 12 inches away for it to stop clipping.
They're just too damn sensitive mate, try placing it a bit further away with something like a blanket or whatever over it and the amp so it doesn't pick up all the room noise.
I'm still a complete noob at recording but I've learned loads about mic placement recently, I found even moving my SM57 a couple of inches made a huge difference to the recorded sound.
Alright, I think I'll look into an SM57 once I get some cash. Thanks, guys.

Quote by dullsilver_mike

Quote by jackers1234

Young Knees
Quote by lkngro
Alright, I think I'll look into an SM57 once I get some cash. Thanks, guys.

Look at it as an investment. One that will always pay off.

ESP Eclipse II Standard
Krank Revolution+
Krank Revolution 4x12
MXR 10-Band EQ
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
MXR Custom Comp
Maxon OD808
Boss NS-2
Quote by iamcline
Look at it as an investment. One that will always pay off.

Exactly, I got mine for about £35 second hand off Ebay. Just be careful about fakes, there's some out there.