I've been looking into amps in the 400 to 500 dollar range (I know I'm cheap) I know I won't get anything amazing with such litle money but the peavey Windsor looks genuinely good for the price it looks like it has some nice high gain sounds. Anybody here have experience with this amp, or suggestions for another model?
id just save another $100 and get the 6505 combo, although i have no experience with it. im sure other people can chime in on this
Guitar Rig:
Fender Telecaster
Martin GPCPA5
Orange Rockerverb 50

Bass Rig:
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz V
Hartke HA3500
The peavey is a single channel amp.

In the same $$ range there is also the crate blue voodoo. It's a two channel amp.
I work at a music store... We carry peavey...
noone has ever wanted to try this amp in the 6 months ive been employed part time...
Gear

Guitars
Ibanez ART 300
Squier Strat
Godin 12 string Antique cedarburst
Ibanez RGD 320

Amps
Peavey Vypyr Tube 60W
Peavey Solo 15 W
Fender 10 W

Effects
Dunlop GCB - 95 Crybaby wah
Boss DD-7 Digital Delay
Boss MT-2 Distortion
they arent great amps, not worth the 4-500 new for sure. They arent high gain amps either. If you are looking for an approximation of a jcm800 tone, find one used for $200-250.
I find that the valve king is good for older stuff, NWOBHM, 80's metal, stuff like that.
May I recommend the Peavey Vypyr Tube?

Excellent amp for the money.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
Quote by Lptubeking
I've been looking into amps in the 400 to 500 dollar range (I know I'm cheap) I know I won't get anything amazing with such litle money but the peavey Windsor looks genuinely good for the price it looks like it has some nice high gain sounds. Anybody here have experience with this amp, or suggestions for another model?

I own one...

I play Blues Rock and Classic Rock... It's a one channel amp, but it's got power to spare, and I think it sounds pretty good for the $300.00 I payed for it. I got it with the Stock Windsor 4x12 Slant cab, which leaves a bit to be desired, but does the job until I can get it upgraded.

I start out with the master at about 10 out of 12, then roll the gain up to the desired level. It's going to growl a bit, but roll the volume back on your guitar and it cleans up pretty nice... It's got a "Marshall-esque" tone quality to it, but it's a straight up, old school tube amp. No effects, no reverb, no crap... The Effects loop is ok, but seems to be a bit noisy with my reverb pedal, (it's a really cheap one though) It's got both a presence and a resonance knob which gives you some more tone control.

If you put this amp side by side to a Marshall JCM 800, yea.. you'd notice a difference... but if a guy the night before you was playing a Marshall, and you showed up the next night with this... They probably wouldn't notice too much of a difference, and you'd have 2 grand more in your pocket than the other guy... It'll do the job, and do it nicely.... Don't expect bells and whistles, because there aren't any...
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!
I wouldn't say that it's not flexible- it takes pedals pretty well... It is however a single channel amp if that means anything to you. Most of the time I don't mind but occasionally it would be nice to have the second channel. Overall though, I really enjoy mine and it does do a marshall-y sound pretty well.
Quote by Smcash
I wouldn't say that it's not flexible- it takes pedals pretty well... It is however a single channel amp if that means anything to you. Most of the time I don't mind but occasionally it would be nice to have the second channel. Overall though, I really enjoy mine and it does do a marshall-y sound pretty well.

That is true. I've seen bands get a good Stoner tone using the Windsor and a good Muff type fuzz.
I owned one a few years back. I really enjoyed it. It's a single channel rock machine.

If you can get by with a single channel, and don't need pristine cleans, then it's a good choice. I much prefer the Windsor to the Valve King, and I've owned both in the past.

Depending on what kind of high-gain tones you're looking for, you're most likely going to want boost it with an OD of some sort. If you're on a budget, I highly recommend the Digitech Bad Monkey.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Quote by sjones
I much prefer the Windsor to the Valve King, and I've owned both in the past.

Hmmm.... I've been considering getting a Valve King because of the 2 channels... I've thought of running both, the Windsor and the VK at the same time... Although Stage space is typically at a premium at the venues we've played... I really got to get in and listen to one
I Play Guitar
Some Like it
Some don't
I don't care
Beats Workin'
OLD GUYS RULE!!!!