Page 1 of 2
so I have a Jet City JCA2112RC. what speaker upgrade would be good for high gain stuff? just my next thing im saving up for. been working some overtime at work. the eminence seems kinda fizzy at high gain. any suggestions? i can deal with it..but I can always upgrade. thanks in advance.
Squier Vintage Modified 1970s Stratocaster.
Squier Classic Vibe 1970s Precision Bass
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
what type of high gain?

is there anything you want to do to the tone (say, make it brighter or darker, or more/fewer mids etc.?).

though i strongly suspect your best bet is to email a bunch of speaker companies and see what they suggest. eminence in particular is great when you email them. But most will help a lot, probably more than we can (celestion, eminence, weber, wgs, tayden, all worth an email depending on where you are in the world)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just like metallica, megadeth, slayer, lamb of god. thats about as far as I go guitar wise. just thought a nonchinese speaker would be cool. im new to this type of stuff. just want to look up some speakers for a possible future upgrade. id like something with a better low end and just handle high gain without as much fizz.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
just like metallica, megadeth, slayer, lamb of god. thats about as far as I go guitar wise. just thought a nonchinese speaker would be cool. im new to this type of stuff. just want to look up some speakers for a possible future upgrade. id like something with a better low end and just handle high gain without as much fizz.

The JCA2112 is just not voiced for that stuff.

That said, you can always go with a staple like a Celestion Vintage 30. But I think those are made in China now.

Better yet get the WGS clone Veteran 30. Less mid-spike too I hear. Cheaper.

www.warehouseguitarspeaker.com
yeah i know. but it was all I could afford at the time and I figure since im still in the learning phase. not many options.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
But....you just got it!!!!
If it doesn't do what you want (metallica, megadeth, slayer etc) then can't you return it and get something suited to that?

The 2 reasons you said you weren't going to get another vypyr 60 was because you didn't trust used items anymore and that your budget wasn't high enough. Now it is if you add in the cost of a new speaker for the JC
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Last edited by JKHC at Mar 6, 2012,
well i was going to save up and get a new speaker later. not right now. it will cost way to much to ship the amp back. it weighs 46 pounds dude. im stuck with it now.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
well i was going to save up and get a new speaker later. not right now. it will cost way to much to ship the amp back. it weighs 46 pounds dude. im stuck with it now.

no you're choosing to keep it.

you could ship it back.

did you PM coolstoryangus like i said in your other thread?
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Can't you go to your local GC and return it there?

That is, of course, if you want to return it.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
i got it from zzounds anyways. and there really isnt another option for me for $300 that is tube. i can still get a pretty nice lead metal tone. i just cant get brutal or anything. and then it would cost a shitload to ship back. for the price im happy with it. its just frustrating sometimes because i am not very good at eq.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by gregs1020
no you're choosing to keep it.

you could ship it back.

did you PM coolstoryangus like i said in your other thread?

i havent had a chance to pm him. i cant recieve pms anyways.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Garlic Owl
you could try an eminence texas heat or swamp thang.

i heard the texas heat is awesome.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The JCA2112 is just not voiced for that stuff.

That said, you can always go with a staple like a Celestion Vintage 30. But I think those are made in China now.

Better yet get the WGS clone Veteran 30. Less mid-spike too I hear. Cheaper.

www.warehouseguitarspeaker.com

Shut the f*ck up, are you serious?
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Last edited by cdr_salamander at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by cdr_salamander

Even if he wasn't, 311 usually provides thoughtful responses unless it was about Egnaters, when he becomes a fanboi

However, I would never tell him to STFU. Really.
Quote by Ippon
Even if he wasn't, 311 usually provides thoughtful responses unless it was about Egnaters, when he becomes a fanboi

It wasn't really a STFU like that but more like I was so shocked about V30s being made in China that it was an uncontrolled outburst.
Quote by Dunning~Kruger
Yes I was rude, and I was aggressive and I was offending a large group of people. But I was civlized about it.

Taylor 414CE
Quote by cdr_salamander

yeah. I'm pretty sure.

Quote by Ippon

Quote by romeozdistress
i havent had a chance to pm him. i cant recieve pms anyways.

Are you talking about the PM feature in your profile or the old PM system that is up there by the Search bar on every forum page? Try sending me a PM and I'll respond.

You can also send messages to people using the Comments feature inside someone's profile.

Anyway - his youtube clips of the JCA2112 are listed in the Gear Demo Thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28521113&postcount=28

You can probably also find stuff on netmusicians.org
Having a closed-back cab would help a lot for a tighter sound... but I doubt there's much you can do there.
Quote by Blompcube
it's so cool to hate Gibson, even the federal Department of Justice hates them.

( )( )
( . .) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
C('')('') signature to help him gain world domination.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
yeah. I'm pretty sure.

Are you talking about the PM feature in your profile or the old PM system that is up there by the Search bar on every forum page? Try sending me a PM and I'll respond.

You can also send messages to people using the Comments feature inside someone's profile.

Anyway - his youtube clips of the JCA2112 are listed in the Gear Demo Thread:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=28521113&postcount=28

You can probably also find stuff on netmusicians.org

alright thanks man. ohh and I cant get private messages at all dude. dont know why.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Last edited by romeozdistress at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by romeozdistress
i heard the texas heat is awesome.

it's very nice, though it's quite dark. just depends on what you want. It combined with a swamp thang is meant to be a very nice combo, but obviously in a 1x12 you don't have that option.

i think quail has a swamp thang on its own (i have a TH on its own) and he likes the ST,too. But i don't want to put words in his mouth.

something more british-voiced might be a better idea, though. the red coat series, i guess (though i haven't tried them).

EDIT: i'd add, though, that i have the TH in a valve junior 1x12 open-backed cab (which wouldn't be amillion miles away from your jet city's 1x12 cab) and it does sound pretty big and good. the open-back and only a single speaker don't seem to be adversely affecting the sound. You could probably do a lot worse, in other words (though you could probably do better for the tones you want, too, assuming the speakers aimed at the tones you want sound ok in a 1x12 open-backed cab).

it's not the loudest speaker i've ever heard, though- if you're trying to maximise your headroom etc. there might be better options.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Mar 7, 2012,
thanks for that.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
yeah. i might just start saving, use this for a year and get something around 1000 next year tax time.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by romeozdistress
yeah. i might just start saving, use this for a year and get something around 1000 next year tax time.

After I bought the Valveking - that is exactly what I did. I saved up. Best gear decision I ever made.
yeah that's another option. though i mean a speaker isn't that much. unless you're going to get rid of the jet city when you get a better amp, it'd probably be worth upgrading the speaker too.

hey 311 is the man-o-war based on any celestion, out of interest? i know some of them are, but after the private jack, governor and wizard i get a bit hazy
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
what would be the best speaker for palm muted stuff?
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
Quote by Dave_Mc
yeah that's another option. though i mean a speaker isn't that much. unless you're going to get rid of the jet city when you get a better amp, it'd probably be worth upgrading the speaker too.

hey 311 is the man-o-war based on any celestion, out of interest? i know some of them are, but after the private jack, governor and wizard i get a bit hazy

Actually, I don't think the MOW is based off of anything specifically. It is 'Brit' based but that is all that it says.

from MOW PDF:
Coloration: A proven and revered sound, very loud and responsive/articulate in every register.
Chunky and solid sound with a little top end sparkle.

Genre: Great for College Rock, Classic Rock, Grunge, and Heavy Metal

It is a 120w though
^ thanks "proven and revered" means it might be, though iirc the others don't say what they're based on, either

^^ for tightness or chug in the palm mutes?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
"proven and revered"

^^ for tightness or chug in the palm mutes?

G12K100 maybe

when I think of the JCA2112 I don't think of tightness or chug but maybe I need to go listen to coolstoryangus video's again. Speaking of..where has he been?
chug.
Guitar Rig 5
Presonus Audiobox
Behringer Truth B2030A
^ well the TH is pretty chunky, so i'm guessing it'd work. Just would be concerned it might be overkill (and also I'm not sure the more american voicing is what you want- according to eminence the TH does have a little british character, but it sounds american to me ). there's not point in going from one extreme (too fizzy) to the other (too dark and chunky)!

I'd email eminence. Just in case we're on the wrong track. Most times I've emailed them I have been

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
G12K100 maybe

when I think of the JCA2112 I don't think of tightness or chug but maybe I need to go listen to coolstoryangus video's again. Speaking of..where has he been?

no idea (both to the speaker and angus)

i was thinking it might be a g12t75. But i could be way off with that. just based on the magnet weight.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look into the Eminence Legend V12, I'm running the 8ohm version underneath my Jet City JCA100H and it sounds massive. The low end isn't super tight, but neither is the head and its in an open back cab

EDIT: Shop around and you can find the V12 for sale under $60. I give like $62 for mine brand new shipped, don't remember where though.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Last edited by Flux'D at Mar 7, 2012,
v30 has been used to record all those tones you want, find a used mesa v30 they are made in england still
Inspired by Ibanez RGA321F Prestige, Gibson Les Paul Standard