I've finally become dead sick of not being in a band so I'm soon going to put up signs at my school to hold an audition for band members during lunchtime in the school music room.
There aren't allot of muscians (or metalheads for that matter) in my school so I know not many people will show up.
My want my music to be like extreme metal (death metal, black metal deathcore etc) and I've thinking about making them preform me just like one really simple song I tell them to bring to the audition, I record them and watch it back and judge them on whatever.

They'll need good stage presence, be tight in the song they are playing and just try their hardest to impress me.

The school music room is a budgeting nightmare, so the only guitars have really light gauge strings so the lowest you can tune is Drop D, there is a very sparse drum setup with no double kick, and that would affect how I judge how ell they can do blast beats and gallops and whatever.

Lunchtime at my school is only about half an hour, and I'd have the equipment set up prior, take about 5 minutes to play through the song before cya later next person roll in.

I think my might choose "I won't see you tonight Part 2" by Avenged Sevenfold as it is a very simple song, just chugga chugga chugga and it has some straight foward double kick in time with the guitars, not nessacarily want my band to sound like AX7 but yeah

Has anyone got any tips on what I should look out for when auditioning like vocalists and drummers and bass players, like what should I ask them to do to show their skils, like how long can the vocalist hold a long scream or how bass can the bass player sweeppick that technical death metal lick?
METAL!
Jam with them.

Not really rocket science, man. Put them in a room and play. If it's working, you'll know.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
if they have no double kick, "i wont see you tonight part 2" seems like a pretty bad choice.
Doing it in the school music room at lunch sounds like a bad idea since they have crap gear and only 30 mins.

Post your ad at school and the local music shops with you ph number and email. When people ring/email set up a date and time for them to bring their own gear to your garage or if you dont have a big space at home ask if you can use the music room well after school finishes. If your in good with your music teacher ask him, most music teachers will do what they can to encourage you, heck even ask him about where to find people to play or even spaces to audition/rehearse.
Quote by strat0blaster
Jam with them.

Not really rocket science, man. Put them in a room and play. If it's working, you'll know.

This...

By the way, play a Morbid Angel song... maybe "Angel of Disease"?

(Nah, I'm just trying to kill your drummer)
first things first, are you a solo artist looking for a backing band or do you want to be part of a band?

if youre planning on being a solo artist just tell them exactly what you are looking for, if you want to be in a band jam with them.

Do you have any gigs lined up? if not dont worry about stage pressence yet.

also do you have to play extreme metal or will you give people some space to play their own style? if you will only play extreme metal you are severely limiting yourself especially if there aren't that many people into metal near you.
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
If you want to play extreme metal - bringing people in who play Avenged Sevenfold might not be the best match.
FUCK YOU ALL!

666 BLACK METAL HOLOCAUST!!!!!
Auditioning for a band is one thing, auditioning for one guy who wants to start a band is another.

Granted if someone is looking to join an exisitng band, then they expect to audition and to have to play and impress that band. Alternatively if this was an advert for session players for your solo work, which is paid, that would warrant an audition senario.

But that isn't the case here.

I'm not sure many people will take to your "impress me" you have to meet MY standards to be in MY band attitude. I surely wouldn't; especially as there is no band yet. Your looking for bandmates not employees.

The people above are spot on when they say that in this situation you should just jam with potential musicians. Record the jam sessions and use that to see if there's any chemistry.

If you create such a formal audition/interview setting then most people wont be interested, as it wont be about music and having fun. They wont be interested in using their spare time to play in band you dictate.

I can see this leading to the other musicians collating together and creating a separate band without you.

Sorry if thats harsh, but its how you came across to me.
I'm going totally with FrontmanShields !
Try to create a nice and polite atmosphere. Jam with the guys. It's not all about skills, technique and so on. You will spend a lot of time with these guys so sympathy is very important.
When my band does auditions we rehearse at least 3 or 4 times with a new musician before we invite him to become part of the band. It needs time and so i don*t think your idea to make an audition in the lunchtime is very good.
try and pick people who have similar musical interests and goals as you. be up front with them about what you're looking for, it will save everyone a lot of time. then once you have the group together, everyone knows what type of music you're playing, let them breathe and bring their own brand of flavor to the music. after you've written a half a dozen songs or so, you'll find "your sound". but i know this isn't exactly about that, carts before horses and all that. anyway, find somewhere where time and equipment aren't an issue and just jam. see if it's coming together or if it seems like there's no vibe or chemistry, you'll know which one it is. and one other VERY IMPORTANT quality to look for and in imo, one of the rarest skills you'll find is the ability not just to play, but to LISTEN to the whole band while playing. so many musicians only listen to the drummer's kick and snare to keep themselves on time. it's so much more than that. especially if you're going to be playing extreme metal, that Sh*t had better be tight otherwise it's just going to be noise. but give it time, maybe try a different cover song that you can play together and then jam for a bit, talk a little about your goals and influences and see if you can exist in the same space personality-wise as well. drama breaks up more good bands than creative differences. the ability to bring rent in for a practice space, if u have one that needs paying for, will they show up on time or at all, do they do their homework, ect.....but you dont want to turn it into a job interview, after all it's supposed to be fun. just jam and shoot the bull for awhile to get a general feel for what kind of person and musician he/she is. you'll know what to do from there.
Quote by krypticguitar87

Do you have any gigs lined up? if not dont worry about stage pressence yet.

also do you have to play extreme metal or will you give people some space to play their own style? if you will only play extreme metal you are severely limiting yourself especially if there aren't that many people into metal near you.

I wanna see if they'd cut it on stage and not look like zombies.
I'm a metalhead, and I wouldn't want to have some guy who plays The White Stripes in my band because it would ruin the bands creativity as a whole if he's not gonna write metal cos he listens to that kinda music thats not metal.
I'm not nessacrily extreme metal, I'll take abit of thrash, abit of power metal, even the odd hardcore inspired section and breakdown, as long as the overal sound is more original and mature than every stupid "Metal/Hardcore" band that has a facebook page and plays "Chugg Chugg Chugg" in drop A in my area.

If you want to play extreme metal - bringing people in who play Avenged Sevenfold might not be the best match.

And that's why I'm changing it to The Black Dahlia Murder's Necropolis and Wintersun's Beyond the Dark Sun.
Sounds just like the music I wanna write and preform and they're technically challenging songs.
METAL!
Quote by Ultraussie
I wanna see if they'd cut it on stage and not look like zombies.

thats easy to work on later not to mention its easier to have stage pressence in a group rather than one person.

I'm a metalhead, and I wouldn't want to have some guy who plays The White Stripes in my band because it would ruin the bands creativity as a whole if he's not gonna write metal cos he listens to that kinda music thats not metal.I'm not nessacrily extreme metal, I'll take abit of thrash, abit of power metal, even the odd hardcore inspired section and breakdown, as long as the overal sound is more original and mature than every stupid "Metal/Hardcore" band that has a facebook page and plays "Chugg Chugg Chugg" in drop A in my area.

this is prooof that you aren't ready to play in a band (the part in the bold). Thinking that people having more influences than one type of music would ruin the bands creativity is closed minded and ludicris. the more inspirations there are for the band, the more the band will be creative.

also if its a technical skill thing, the genre doesn't matter, you can still play things that are complicated.

out of curiosity, do you plan on running the band, and writing everything, like being a solo artist, or are you planning on just being part of the band and making music?
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by krypticguitar87
thats easy to work on later not to mention its easier to have stage pressence in a group rather than one person.

this is prooof that you aren't ready to play in a band (the part in the bold). Thinking that people having more influences than one type of music would ruin the bands creativity is closed minded and ludicris. the more inspirations there are for the band, the more the band will be creative.

also if its a technical skill thing, the genre doesn't matter, you can still play things that are complicated.

out of curiosity, do you plan on running the band, and writing everything, like being a solo artist, or are you planning on just being part of the band and making music?

+1 to all this.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Ultraussie
I've finally become dead sick of not being in a band so I'm soon going to put up signs at my school to hold an audition for band members during lunchtime in the school music room.
There aren't allot of muscians (or metalheads for that matter) in my school so I know not many people will show up.
My want my music to be like extreme metal (death metal, black metal deathcore etc) and I've thinking about making them preform me just like one really simple song I tell them to bring to the audition, I record them and watch it back and judge them on whatever.

They'll need good stage presence, be tight in the song they are playing and just try their hardest to impress me.

The school music room is a budgeting nightmare, so the only guitars have really light gauge strings so the lowest you can tune is Drop D, there is a very sparse drum setup with no double kick, and that would affect how I judge how ell they can do blast beats and gallops and whatever.

Lunchtime at my school is only about half an hour, and I'd have the equipment set up prior, take about 5 minutes to play through the song before cya later next person roll in.

I think my might choose "I won't see you tonight Part 2" by Avenged Sevenfold as it is a very simple song, just chugga chugga chugga and it has some straight foward double kick in time with the guitars, not nessacarily want my band to sound like AX7 but yeah

Has anyone got any tips on what I should look out for when auditioning like vocalists and drummers and bass players, like what should I ask them to do to show their skils, like how long can the vocalist hold a long scream or how bass can the bass player sweeppick that technical death metal lick?

This probably isn't going to work for you. People don't typically "audition" to be in a band that doesn't exist. You usually audition when you need to fill a slot and you a band, a set list of material, the gear and funding to gig and play shows...and regularly gigging schedule.

Let me just say this:
The hardest part of starting a band is simply finding like minded people. I don't even mean people that like the same exact type of music, but finding people that you can get along with and mesh with musically, and professionally - you need to have the same or similar goals and commitments to the band.

If you can even find people like that, which is a lot harder than you'd think, then you can start worry about what kind of music they like, then if they're up to snuff technically. ...and most people that end up playing in an original band typically aren't only interested in that genre of music. Discounting somebody because they don't play thrash metal is pretty naive and smothering.

For instance, I play in like a PopRock/Alternative band and I'm primarily a jazz guitarist...and I spent most of my teens playing shreddy metal and blues.

Anyway, you'll find that out in a band. It's usually about a compromise and naturally finding a sound that's a sum of all your parts.
Last edited by chronowarp at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by chronowarp

It's usually about a compromise and naturally finding a sound that's a sum of all your parts.

^This one statement is pretty much the most important piece of info that could be given to someone looking to be in a band....
Quote by Dirk Gently