Hey guys I was just wondering if anyone could help me out with vocal harmonies. I love harmony so much. I am in jazz choir and many other choirs and just love singing it. Any ways I was interested in writing my own harmonies. See the thing is I can write 2 or 3 part harmonies, but how do you write like 6 part harmonies like the beatles and fun.? I really want to move on from just basic harmonies, any advice. Also is there any videos/books that explain this really well?
I'm Bored.

tumblr
<- follow me
Quote by supersac
you can double parts its like making chords basically and have each voice sing a different note in the chord

Yeah I understand like how you make the chords and stuff I guess I have just never actually tried it. I am going to go mess around with it.
I'm Bored.

tumblr
<- follow me
Quote by stevosmusic1
Yeah I understand like how you make the chords and stuff I guess I have just never actually tried it. I am going to go mess around with it.

cool i find it very fun to write i just wish i was a better singer
Quote by supersac
cool i find it very fun to write i just wish i was a better singer

whats wrong with your singing?
I'm Bored.

tumblr
<- follow me
6 part harmonies? I can think of very few harmonies that have 6 distinct parts...

But if you learn how to do basic 4-part writing , the kind you'd learn in any intro to theory class in college...that might be a step in the right direction for you.

Look at Kostka & Payne's "Tonal Harmony" or "The Practice of Harmony" by Peter Spencer for a starting point on the part-writing rules and basic harmony...