I'm using a fast track pro and an sm58 and while i've been happy with my acoustic guitar tones, whenever i try record vocals they sound really 'boxy' for lack of a better word. I've tried a couple of locations and the problems remains. Any advice?
Posting a clip will give everyone something better to work with.

Boxy often mean different things to different people. But given the massive mid range bump in a 57 Google the frequency response graph. I'd start by EQing out 500hz range.

I can't really say much without more info
You bought the wrong mic.

SM58 = live vocal mic, you need a large diaphragm condenser mic to get the highest fidelity vocals.

That said, some vocalists can get a great studio sound with the SM58 (Bono and Steve Tyler have been known to use em, for example), but you'd need excellent preamps to get the most out of it.
the boxiness is more likely coming from the room in which you are recording.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by fastlanestoner
the boxiness is more likely coming from the room in which you are recording.

This.

I've gotten very good vocals recorded with an SM58 through a mid-range tube preamp. (Peavey TMP1, "little brother" of the VMP2)... but only once.

How far away from the mic are you singing? The closer you get to the mic, the less the room affects the sound.

How close to a reflective surface is the mic? The closer you are, the boxier it can sound. Careful, though, you don't want to be equidistant between two reflective surfaces either, as that can be just as bad or worse.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Thanks for the responses guys. I made this thread in a moment of frustration and nearly forgot about it

I don't necessarily need 'high fidelity vocals' but I do need something less amateur sounding. I'd post a clip but i'm too shy with the horrible sound i've been getting

Will buying a large condenser or better pre-amp automatically solve my problem? Will it only be a minor difference in quality? I suppose that's what i really wanted to know.
Quote by spitonastranger
Thanks for the responses guys. I made this thread in a moment of frustration and nearly forgot about it

I don't necessarily need 'high fidelity vocals' but I do need something less amateur sounding. I'd post a clip but i'm too shy with the horrible sound i've been getting

Will buying a large condenser or better pre-amp automatically solve my problem? Will it only be a minor difference in quality? I suppose that's what i really wanted to know.

CLIPS