Page 1 of 2
What is your stance on it? Are you for it, against it?

Note, arranged marriages are not the same as forced marriages. It's essentially assisted marriage and you have the chance to say no when presented with a candidate.

That said it is an outdated tradition and you really shouldn't need it to get married yourself. And we're not all Indian >_>

So, thoughts?
I don't think anyone should be forced into marriage....you may marry an ugly bastard
Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
It's stupid.

Quote by slash_GNR666
I don't think anyone should be forced into marriage....you may marry an ugly bastard

Harsh but true.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I have no problem with arranged marriages, so long as they're not forced.

In some ways it actualy makes a lot of sense. People who really are not suited to each other get married on a whim, then find out later that they simply are not compatable for a long term relationship, they got married because they were either too young or socially immature to realise it at the time, but older folks, such as parents, can often more instinctivly see two people who would be ideal for each other in a long term relationship and arrange for them to get together.

If we think of the more experienced older generation as experts on relationships, why not trust their experience? If I wanted my house re-wiring or my plumbing re-arranging, I'd at least consult with an expert first, probably even hire them to do the job for me, so why shouldn't people treat relationships in the same way?
First world culture vs other cultures, let the battle begin!

Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Quote by TimTheWizard
First world culture vs other cultures, let the battle begin!

Arranged marriages have been a traditional part of 'first world' culture too y'know.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Arranged marriages have been a traditional part of 'first world' culture too y'know.

So was torching people for being witches, but we've progressed from that and call it "barbaric" when another culture still does it
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
i think arranged marriages are just a way for parents to make sure there child marries someone from a wealthy position that matches their vision of a 'good son/daughter in law'

in my opinion, it's not about the parents but about the 2 people loving each other and stuff and their parents should have nothing to with their adult child's love affairs.

but i respect other cultures so i don't care
Quote by psyks
You are filthy.
Quote by TimTheWizard
So was torching people for being witches, but we've progressed from that and call it "barbaric" when another culture still does it

But torching people for being witches has nothing to do with arranged marriages, so why would you compare the two?

We've also had the wheel and writing for about 6000 years, but we don't call people barbaric for using them.
They seem to work out better than people relying on hormones, but I am not sure if that is because people are trying to make things work for their children, or because the cultures that use them generally do not allow divorce.
Quote by seabear70
They seem to work out better than people relying on hormones, but I am not sure if that is because people are trying to make things work for their children, or because the cultures that use them generally do not allow divorce.

Nearly all cultures allow divorce, it's just that in some it's harder to attain without good reason than it is in others.
I think it doesnt matter who introduces the couple to eachother as long as the couple decides if they want to marry each other.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
I think it doesnt matter who introduces the couple to eachother as long as the couple decides if they want to marry each other.

Which they would in an 'unforced' arranged marriage as the TS stated.

Oh, and I agree with you.
I know a girls who's 'destined' for an arranged marriage.

The way she explained it there's a bunch of people within the community (some branch of judaism I think) who travel all across europe and try to find the best match for the children of people who've enlisted their service.

At first I was a bit taken aback but then she explained that it's essentially like a really thorough dating service. She'll go on a date with the guy just to get to know him a bit but she still has the option of refusing and then the matchmaker will carry on looking.

Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I wouldn't label it barbaric.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
Quote by Lemoninfluence
I know a girls who's 'destined' for an arranged marriage.

The way she explained it there's a bunch of people within the community (some branch of judaism I think) who travel all across europe and try to find the best match for the children of people who've enlisted their service.

At first I was a bit taken aback but then she explained that it's essentially like a really thorough dating service. She'll go on a date with the guy just to get to know him a bit but she still has the option of refusing and then the matchmaker will carry on looking.

Not necessarily my cup of tea, but I wouldn't label it barbaric.

Precisely.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

I think so.(Invalid img)
Ew. Just ew.
not going viral

Hot E-Cousin of rjaylaf

Non Evil E-Twin of stealstrings

E-NEMESIS of deathdrummer
I don't really see what's wrong with it so long as it isn't forced. The parents, much to their child's anger and angst, will know what to look for in a good partner better - and I fail to see how it's any different to dating websites/evenings in the Western world: if anything arranged marriage is far more constructive towards forming a lasting, meaningful relationship than such events which we don't bat an eyelid at.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
People do what they want, who am I to stop them? However, I will ferociously judge them.

Which is fine... so long as you're OK with people ferociously judging you for ferociously judging others.
It doesn't bother or disturb me. I think of them more as symbolic political marriages.

Forced marriage does. But the arranged types don't. There's been arranged marriages going on with royalty in Europe between different countries since, well, forever.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Which is fine... so long as you're OK with people ferociously judging you for ferociously judging others.

I'll just ferociously judge with twice the fury!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
Ever heard the term 'escalation'?

I've seen it happen first hand...

...in my pants.

i'm kidding, i'm not that judgmental

EDIT: And just to be serious, no I haven't got much against arranged marriages. Like I said, people are free to do as they want but when it comes to forced marriages then I would have an objection if it's someone I know, but in lots of cultures today it's an accepted and widespread thing so I wouldn't have any reason to interfere.
Last edited by ali.guitarkid7 at Mar 7, 2012,
1 time out of 10 it might be good.
But really 9 time out of 10 one of the two involved are just gonna get hurt.
Quote by mybanez
1 time out of 10 it might be good.
But really 9 time out of 10 one of the two involved are just gonna get hurt.

How?
Quote by Todd Hart
How?

Because if you need to have a marriage arranged for you your probably pretty shit and lonely. Sooo your like OMG I'm getting married. The the girl/guy is like oh he/she is to clingy/talkative/ugly/fat/smelly/sexyformyshirt/tall... whatever. I just don't think it would work.

Occasionally you might get two people who straight off the bat like each other, Not a lot though.
Quote by mybanez
Because if you need to have a marriage arranged for you your probably pretty shit and lonely. Sooo your like OMG I'm getting married. The the girl/guy is like oh he/she is to clingy/talkative/ugly/fat/smelly/sexyformyshirt/tall... whatever. I just don't think it would work.

Occasionally you might get two people who straight off the bat like each other, Not a lot though.

Right, so you're against people meeting on the off-chance that they might not like each other?
Quote by Todd Hart
Right, so you're against people meeting on the off-chance that they might not like each other?

No I'm saying 9 times out of 10 you meet someone for the first time you don't marry them. Am I right? (I'd think the number would be closer to 999 out of 1000).
Last edited by mybanez at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by mybanez
No I'm saying 9 times out of 10 you meet someone for the first time you don't marry them. Am I right? (I'd think the number would be closer to 999 out of 1000.

Yeah but these are two people meeting together with at least the possibility of marriage, and they've been chosen by their parents for the possibility. It's like meeting someone on a dating website - in normal life its rare you'll meet someone for the first time and then start dating, but the whole point of such establishments/conventions.
Quote by Todd Hart
Yeah but these are two people meeting together with at least the possibility of marriage, and they've been chosen by their parents for the possibility. It's like meeting someone on a dating website - in normal life its rare you'll meet someone for the first time and then start dating, but the whole point of such establishments/conventions.

I'll poo on you Todd.
Also I'm right. I kinda think what you just wrote if anything backed me up.
Last edited by mybanez at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by mybanez
I'll poo on you Todd.
Also I'm right. I kinda think what you just wrote if anything backed me up.

I'm nursing a semi at the thought.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
But torching people for being witches has nothing to do with arranged marriages, so why would you compare the two?

We've also had the wheel and writing for about 6000 years, but we don't call people barbaric for using them.

I compare the two because these days whatever we used to do i our own culture we immediately consider something old-fashioned and barbaric when another one still does.
It's the same as people who swear by e-mails and call others who still use letters "belonging to the dark ages".

I didn't say I find it barbaric. Sure it's an old habit, but the first world practically lost all of its values and morals within the turn of the millenium
Don't even condemn countries for still using the death penalty (if used correctly), it's what we should do more often tbh.

Now I'm gonna shut up because I was just gonna sit back and lmao but you just comment on everyone.
Quote by Ulalume
Quote by Todd Hart
I'm nursing a semi at the thought.

Actually laughed out loud, thank you.
Whenever my mom's mad at me she threatens to make me get married to this guy who was born 2 days before me.
I know she's kidding but I'm Indian so it's a possibility if other relatives bully her into it or something

for this reason I'm completely against it
cat
Quote by chaoticfables
. And we're not all Indian >_>

But some of us are

I for one am extremely content with my arranged wife.

Say hello to UG, Padmarukminiamma

Quote by thanksgiving
I'm coming for you with a castrator!
You sick bastard.

Watch that video below

If this video reaches 1000 views before Christmas, I'll play with my titties on cam.

Quote by TimTheWizard
I compare the two because these days whatever we used to do i our own culture we immediately consider something old-fashioned and barbaric when another one still does.

We do? Why would we do something like that? Why would we call a practice barbaric simply because it's old? Shouldn't we be calling uncivilised acts of cruelty or crudeness barbaric instead?
Quote by TimTheWizard
It's the same as people who swear by e-mails and call others who still use letters "belonging to the dark ages".

Ahh, so you're using the word 'barbaric' to mean 'primitive'.
Quote by TimTheWizard

I didn't say I find it barbaric.

To be fair, you compared it to "torching people for being witches", and said that we'd "progressed" from that, suggesting that arranged marriage is also something that we should have progressed from by now.
Quote by TimTheWizard
Sure it's an old habit, but the first world practically lost all of its values and morals within the turn of the millenium

I'm not seeing the point you're making here.
Quote by TimTheWizard
Don't even condemn countries for still using the death penalty (if used correctly), it's what we should do more often tbh.

Are you saying that arranged marriage is as barbaric as death penalties, or that you should support arranged marriages because you also support the death penalty?
Quote by TimTheWizard

Now I'm gonna shut up because I was just gonna sit back and lmao

Laough your arse off at what? Did I miss something funny?
Quote by TimTheWizard
but you just comment on everyone.

No I don't, so far in this thread, I commented on you considering arranged marriage as something that has nothing to do with first world culture, and corrected you, then I commented on your replies to me, such as when you compared arranged marriage to burning witches.
Are you "everyone"?
Society arranges your marriage, no matter where you live. How much choice do you really have in marriage? Think about it.
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
Quote by ripple07
Society arranges your marriage, no matter where you live. How much choice do you really have in marriage? Think about it.

Marriage is a strange game. The only winning move is not to play.
Page 1 of 2