I took one of my active P.A speakers into my local shop to get repaired last week and today I received a phone call telling me that the amp has blown and it needs a new one.

The problem is I took the speaker in with just a broken gain pot!

They told me that it didn't work at all, and when they opened it up they noticed a screw had come loose and shorted one of the circuits.

Do I have any rights in this matter? I used it the day before I took it in and it was working fine (minus the gain pot).

I don't know what to say to get me out of this mess, other than to ask if they aren't insured for things like this, The worst thing is they sold it to me second hand with the broken gain pot in the first place!
Ask for a full refund on the product or for them to repair it free of chage. They sold you a faulty product and then when you sent it to be repaired they broke it further and are trying to get you to buy another one. It's their job to sort the situation out.

Once it's solved I wouldn't go there again. They sound like the don't know what they're doing and seem to be milking you for cash.
'And after a while, you can work on points for style.
Like the club tie, and the firm handshake,
A certain look in the eye and an easy smile.'

'You have to be trusted by the people that you lie to,
So that when they turn their backs on you,
You'll get the chance to put the knife in.'

Cheapest Air Jordan Shoes,Tiffany Jewelry Company,Wholesale Hollister Clothing

Online Store:

Cheapest Vans Shoes $37

Fashion Tiffany Bangles $20

Wholesale Hollister Tshirt $18

jordan shoes $38

nike shox $37

Christan Audigier bikini $18

Ed Hardy Bikini $18

Sinful short_t-shirt_woman $16

He is in the UK
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by Hydra150
He is in the UK

Then he should take a look
Guitars:
EVH Wolfgang Special LH
Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013
Ibanez EW20LASE-NT LH

Effects:
BOSS GT-100

Amps:
Fender Hot Rod DeVille 410
Laney IRT Studio + 112 cab
Thanks for the advice. They're actually a pretty big shop - I've been going there for years and they've always been good to me.

Another problem is I bought this gear about 4 months ago but have only just started using it (and realized it was faulty) which I don't think is going to help my cause.

I suppose it's just my word against theirs. I'm going to go in tomorrow and ask them to cover half of the cost of the new amp.

Edit: I read up on that link, cheers. Not sure they will abide by that though.
Last edited by Karmaface at Mar 7, 2012,
I can't speak for anything over in Great Britain, but in the States, when you buy used equipment, it is almost always "as is", with no warranty. It was up to you to make sure the stuff worked properly when you purchased it. As far as the bad amp now, what exactly did you tell the shop when you dropped it off? Did you tell them specifically to fix the pot, or did you just tell them it was "broken" and need to be repaired? Did you let them know that it was working OK except for the bad pot? You may be stuck paying for the repair at this point. You haven't provided enough objective info to really know for sure....
I read the title as someone ripping off a photoshopped picture you made.

I have nothing more to add.
Quote by Karmaface
Thanks for the advice. They're actually a pretty big shop - I've been going there for years and they've always been good to me.

Another problem is I bought this gear about 4 months ago but have only just started using it (and realized it was faulty) which I don't think is going to help my cause.

I suppose it's just my word against theirs. I'm going to go in tomorrow and ask them to cover half of the cost of the new amp.

Edit: I read up on that link, cheers. Not sure they will abide by that though.

They don't have a choice but to abide by the sale of goods act. Items they sell have to be fit for purpose, and that's their responsibility, so they can't fob you off with the manufactrer's warranty.
As far as I'm aware, all the screws on the product would be screwed in from the outside, so how could a screw fall in to the product (while on) in order to short any of the circuitry? If they already had it open, and a screw got in there, it's there own fault for turning the product on with the outer casing off.

Kinda hard to prove it was their fault that it happened, but you could maybe demand they fix it free of charge/return it, and if they do neither say you'll take it elsewhere for a second opinion. If they are BS'ing you, they probably won't want you to go elsewhere and have a qualified professional call them on their mistake
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
What was happening was the speaker was only running at about 10% volume. The gain pot span round without stopping so I assumed it wasn't turning up full, so I took it in and said it wasn't reaching full volume and said I assume it's the gain pot.

The thing is they said it was fried as soon as they tried it - which I doubt is true as it was working the day before, but that leaves me with my word against theirs.
just keep bugging them, they'll give in.

if it shorted with a screw(unlikely) then thats there problem for unscrewing it when it was plugged in.

ask to see a manager, customer is always right and all.
now extra flamey
That's like the equivalent of bringing in a car for a busted power steering pump or something, and then ending up getting your entire suspension replaced when it wasn't broken in the first place. Even if it was, you didn't want it fixed.

So you're gonna go there, get your money back OR straight up throw shit towards the nearest fan.
I love the random spam up there but there's no company name or link or anything... Silly adbots
Quote by So-Cal
Incest is wincest!

Quote by Neo Evil11
Because he's the hero The Pit deserves, but not the one it needs right now. So, we'll hunt him, because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian. A watchful protector. A Dark Anus.
Quote by Ikey
just keep bugging them, they'll give in.

if it shorted with a screw(unlikely) then thats there problem for unscrewing it when it was plugged in.

ask to see a manager, customer is always right and all.

The customer is wrong. A lot.

Anyways, if the unit was new, it's a lot simpler- the retailer must prove it wasn't faulty if it has gone wrong in the first six months. Obviously a screw causing a short, if it wasn't done by the repairperson, is a manufacturing fault. Second hand sales isn't quite as clear cut, often being sold 'as seen.'