(EDIT: Video uploaded http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SN5XZRekgxg&hd=1 )

Well, I snatched this bass on ebay, but no one could really figure out what it was (http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/bass-guitar-discussion/189793-ibanez-soundgear-identification.html).

Today I received it and the first thing I did was look in the neck pocket for clues as to what it might be. On the neck "SR 1000 #2" was stamped and on the body "SR1010e". After a bit of reading I found that there were no ash bodied SR1010e's in the European or American markets, which leads me to believe (as also suggested in my SS.org thread) that this is a Japanese home market model.

I will leave it at that and say that this bass is of amazing quality. Definitely on par (if not better) than my (Indonesian) Prestige SR1006efm! I can't believe this bass is 18 years old. Apart from some very slight wear, it's mint (electronic cavity plastic still on!) - virtually no fretwear at all. Plays and sounds like a dream! I was honestly surprised by the IBZ USA C2 pickups - they sound absolutely great! Definitely complements my SR1006efm's USA Bartolinis very well. I haven't explored the power curve system that much, but I don't think I will use it a lot, although it could definitely come in handy - http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g125/danomite64/Basses/PowerCurve1b.jpg
I am really in love with the woods of this bass. I love the look, feel and weight of ash! This bass weighs around 7.5lbs where my SR1006efm weighs around 14lbs! My left shoulder is definitely going to thank me after long rehearsals and gigs with this bass
The wenge/bubinga neck is fast and the wenge fretboard is nicely grainy and looks awesome (almost like a cell shaded rosewood if that makes any sense ).

I have some coated EB strings on the way I will try on this axe. I will probably post a cover or some other demonstration of the bass.

Ah well, I have bored you enough:

Last edited by xFilth at Mar 9, 2012,
HNBD! looks very cool, and congratulations on the pictures! you nailed it with the background.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
Quote by captainsnazz
WOW that is a beautiful bass! I'm guessing it's either a discontinued line, or like you said it could be a japanese only model. It looks similar to some of these but none of them have that pickup configuration.
HNBD!

Thanks! Yeah, I wish it was easier to find more than a few Japanese catalogs on the internet, but it seems impossible. Can't find the Japanese 1994 catalog for my life.

Quote by Sudaka
HNBD! looks very cool, and congratulations on the pictures! you nailed it with the background.

Haha, thanks!
As an admitted Ibby fan girl, that bass is so freaking amazing. Its amazing looking!

And for more info, you may want to contact the folks at Ibanezrules.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/index.htm

They have some of the most extensive info on Ibanez instruments.
Last edited by anarkee at Mar 7, 2012,
Thanks guys

Quote by anarkee
As an admitted Ibby fan girl, that bass is so freaking amazing. Its amazing looking!

And for more info, you may want to contact the folks at Ibanezrules.

http://www.ibanezrules.com/catalogs/index.htm

They have some of the most extensive info on Ibanez instruments.

Who doesn't love a nice MIJ Ibby?

I'll try contacting Ibanezrules, but since they don't have a database of the Japanese catalogs, I don't have too high hopes.

I'm really tempted to spend 10 bucks on a months subscription to Vintaxe.com just to check it. Seems to be the only place on the internet which has the 1994 JP catalog.

There's a very similar bass on ebay right now listed as "
IBANEZ SOUNDGEAR BASS SR1500 JAPAN MADE EMG PRECISION JAZZ PICKUPS MIJ PRESTIGE". The grain is different, but it has the same configuration and the same neck. Currently $270.00 with 8 days, 3 hours to go.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
I probably would if I weren't in the UK. Stupid import tax.
Quote by FatalGear41
Bassists don't hover on the forum day and night like guitarists. We've got lives to lead, music to play and whiskey to drink.

Quote by Ziphoblat
I'd rather go at my hands with a hacksaw than play lead guitar, and I'm only slightly exaggerating.
I came down to this thread the second time, and the words "Qué lindo es ese bajo!" just came out of my mouth without even thinking of it. (means "that bass is so beautiful")

I imagine it plays and sound good, but man, I am frikin lovin it! and it's one of few instruments that look good with gold hardware...
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2