Page 1 of 2
It's me again!
I know, i just can't make my mind up
also i've got a better look at my options now

I'll try to make it interesting this time. As always, your help is absolute gold, so thank you in advance. Since i have an inferiority complex towards real guitarists, i really will value your opinion.

THE STORY
- 600 euro budget, stretched
- bedroom levels + jams (drums + bass) + small gigs possibly
- For Industrial Metal and Industrial + Pantera (in terms of distortion lvls.) + Alice in Chains + Alternative (Jane's Add., Faith No More, RATM, Primus) + you know, metal
- I don't really want to get a distortion pedal too

- Right now i'm quite an inactive player, not many gigs or jams atm...but i really want to invest in some good gear, something i can keep for as long as possible, that will adapt to my own needs when i start gigging and stuff.
I'm ambitious and i don't want any gear limitations to hold me back.

WHAT I'VE FOUND SO FAR

Combos:
Peavey (Valveking 112 or 6505+ 112)

Heads: Blackstar HT-5 - sacrificing wattage for quality and a good cab)
Crate BV120, peavey Valve King - with budget stretch

Cabs:
Marshall 1960a
Blackstar Htv-412a Venue Cab

Considering my budget, are there any good deals here? Am i missing something?
1)If you buy from thomann you can gets Harley Benton G412 Vintage 30 can for much less money than the Marshall and the blackstar and much more value for money. It has the same speakers as the Marshall and much better ones that the blackstar and it's pretty damn durable. It'll give you much more to spend on a good amp.
2) The Peavey 6505 head is much better than the valve king. I'd get that with the Harley Benton cab. The blackstar ht-5 is most certainly not lower wattage for better quality, it has many solid state components and TBH only the high wattage blackstars in the HT series sound as good as said. Anyway, the peavey 6505 destroys it with distorted tones but the cleans are Definately worse.
I would also recommend a bugera, maybe the 6220 or 332xl to go with the Harley Benton cab or in a combo.
It'll fit into your budget best and sound really good.
Last edited by TheDuckMajor at Mar 7, 2012,
I'd say the VK is probably voiced a bit better for what you play and has a dedicated clean channel that is real nice if that is important. The amp really comes to life with a new speaker and some other easy mods/tricks but you'll need rougly $100 for a new speaker and a $100 for an OD/EQ/tubes whatever you decide.

The 6505+112 is pretty decent imo but is not like its big brothers. Cleans up fairly nicely but is more of br00talz amp. It could potentially use a better speakers too.

I can't really recommend the Blackstar.

I cannot recommend the Valveking cab.

I'd say for the stuff you play you might be happier with a used Marshall DSL or an Orange of some kind. Maybe a Jet City.

My personal recommendation is to look at a Peavey Vypyr 60. I know say that a lot on this board but really is very capable. I bought mine used for $315 USA.
*briefly researched*

- Bugera 333-212 (not infinium..is that different?): will definitely try that one out! 400 euros, is that good?

- the Harley Benton G412 Vintage 30 costs the same as the Marshall at my local store, i think i'd rather play it safe tbh :/

That's what i've got so far.

What about the Crate Blue Voodoo head?
Quote by Basti95
*briefly researched*

- Bugera 333-212 (not infinium..is that different?): will definitely try that one out! 400 euros, is that good?

- the Harley Benton G412 Vintage 30 costs the same as the Marshall at my local store, i think i'd rather play it safe tbh :/

I've never heard of the Crate Blue Voodoo but I feel obliged to super highly recommend the Orange Dark Terror. Abolutely great for metal, a hella loud for 15 watts, cleans pretty well and Orange Amps probably go better with Celestion V30s than any other amp.
I've got a 333 half stack and it sounds like sex. It's more or less a copied combination of a peavey XXX and a JSX. The infinium is just the new tube preserving shit they've got that pretty much eliminates the need to bias, so I would make sure it's got that. And 400 euros ≈ $650, right? If so that's a little more than what it is in America. I googled and saw $550-600, but that might vary with your location.
That's more or less the exchange i guess...
But the difference between an Infinium (on the internet) and a not-Infinium (local shop) is a fair bundle of cash :/ worth it?

I can get the Dark Terror online for around the same price as most of the amps i'm looking at, my shop only sells a regular Tiny Terror
Quote by Basti95
*briefly researched*

Crate Blue Voodo's were an Class A tube amp that was endorsed by Marty Friedman of Megadeth.

Don't know any more than that apart from the fact they are hard to get hold of.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Crate Blue Voodo's were an Class A tube amp that was endorsed by Marty Friedman of Megadeth.

Don't know any more than that apart from the fact they are hard to get hold of.

Really?
400 euros, new, at my local shop

...YAY?
Yup, I think he played them around after Countdown To Extinction on the Cryptic Writings album I think.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
I'd say the VK is probably voiced a bit better for what you play and has a dedicated clean channel that is real nice if that is important. The amp really comes to life with a new speaker and some other easy mods/tricks but you'll need rougly $100 for a new speaker and a $100 for an OD/EQ/tubes whatever you decide.

The 6505+112 is pretty decent imo but is not like its big brothers. Cleans up fairly nicely but is more of br00talz amp. It could potentially use a better speakers too.

I can't really recommend the Blackstar.

I cannot recommend the Valveking cab.

I'd say for the stuff you play you might be happier with a used Marshall DSL or an Orange of some kind. Maybe a Jet City.

My personal recommendation is to look at a Peavey Vypyr 60. I know say that a lot on this board but really is very capable. I bought mine used for $315 USA.

+infinity.
The Jet City and the Vyp0yr are your best bets.
Blue Voodoos rock.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
So it's a good deal? It definitely looks cool and i'm hearing more and more good things...
Plus the Blue Voodoo is actually in my price range. I'l try the other ones too of course, you never know, but what do you think,

Should i jump on that?
If you can do it TS trying before buyings a great idea, but head onto youtube to hear some samples of each amp.

Even though that's not worth very much, but itgives you a general idea of what to expect.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I can try the Valve Kings, Bugera 333 212 combos, the Blue Voodoo and HT5 heads + Marshall 1960 cab

Basically everything in the OP and the Bugera.

The store is pretty big btw

(Invalid img)
Quote by Cathbard
Blue Voodoos rock.

+311

Very inexpensive and has its own sound. I honestly liked the Clean, glassy with SCs.

Need to be careful about maxing out the Gain as it becomes noisy. Backing off a bit is Gain unique to the BV, can go from Classic to Metal. It loves the Bogner cab with V30s and T75s.

Quote by Basti95
I can try the Valve Kings, Bugera 333 212 combos, the Blue Voodoo and HT5 heads + Marshall 1960 cab

Basically everything in the OP and the Bugera.

The store is pretty big btw

(Invalid img)

That is one pretty store.

The HT-5's are good amps but they're not exactly the loudest in the world.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Eh? I thought you didnt like those?

Don't know where you got that idea from.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Its on the Cathbard fan site.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I might have to discard the HT-5 by default, 5 Watts is just not going to get me anywhere...i once tried jamming with drums and bass through a - granted, real crappy - 15W amp turned up all the way, it wasn't enough.

Will most definitely try the Valveking combo and the Blue Voodoo head, then i'll see what else i can come across.

Thanks so much for the help still open to suggestions
I have a BV 120H and absolutely LOVE it. The only thing I can tell you is that you may want to, once you get it and enjoy it for a little bit, save up some money (probably $200 or so) and take it to a shop to upgrade it. There's actually a post on here, if you search Crate Blue Voodoo, that lists the mods you can do to clean it up. The issue is that once you start getting into more of a higher gain scenario, the sound 'muddies' up a whole lot. The attack isn't quite as clean on higher gain either. Also, the lows could be a bit deeper and bigger. But DAMN that thing still sounds good. My other guitar player has a Marshall JCM 900 TSL and the Crate hangs with it all day. It's a phenomenal amp for the $ and I would recommend it to anybody anytime!
+1 to the Vypyr Tube. Check it out.

Disregard the HT-5. It'll be irrelevant at metal band volumes.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Month old bump
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Well shit.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
And just in time. I'm getting pretty close to finally getting a damn amp.

I think I'll be going with Bugera. The 333 and 6262 are both cheaper and have higher wattage than the available 6505+ combo. Pretty good deal in sight.

I've totally discarded the HT-5 as a choice, 5 watts is way too low unfortunately.
As for the Blue Voodoo, that would more than drain my funds. I don't want a head just for the sake of having a head and choosing the budget option, also i don't know how i could get that and a cab.
Power output is hardly a reason not to get a 6505+. Those things are crazy loud.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Power output is hardly a reason not to get a 6505+. Those things are crazy loud.

Yeah you're right. I mean it's a good 100 euro more expensive, yet i've heard better things about the Bugera amps on the whole. I will try them all out though, and have a great time in the process

edit: all the same, how to they compare in your opinion?
Last edited by Basti95 at Apr 27, 2012,
General concensus on the Bugera's

Great Tone
Crappy Quality

if you know the ins and outs of tube amps you can probably alleviate 75% of the Bugera issues starting with the power section.

the 6505+112 combo is also made in China and has had its share of issue but not as great as Bugera.
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
General concensus on the Bugera's

Great Tone
Crappy Quality

If that's the case, wouldn't that render them worth repairing? I mean, unless there's an alternative, same price range, with equally great tone and better quality...
If you mean they break easily, i heard they generally had one issue in particular, i would be okay with the hope that it can be patched up
Page 1 of 2