I just recently traded in an all tube Marshall head for a little extra cash, and used some left over money to buy a Peavey Classic 30 and an Agile AL2000. These new purchases have made me rethink my ability to be a gear snob. I loved the Marshall but the Peavey Classic 30 is an amazing amp, especially for the price, which was about $300 USD used. The Agile is a great guitar, again for the money it can outplay a $500-600 guitar. I am not saying they are better than a $2000 Gibson, that is comparing apples to oranges. Here's my question:

How much of the gear that we buy is because of the perception that we have to have certain gear in order to "fit in" with the elite musicians that have owned them?

I am not bashing any brand here, I just find it odd that I can like guitars and amps that are cheaper but don't have the big name more than my more expensive gear. I have owned Gibson's, Ibbys, Marshall's, Fender's, etc. all are great, but much more expensive.

Sorry for the long post, just questioning.
Gibson LP traditional and DC standard, PRS S2 Custom 24, Schecter Banshee 7
EVH 5153, Mesa DR Tremoverb combo 2-2x12's
Line 6 M13
My main amp (the Abbey) is something nobody else has ever heard of and my main guitar is custom built to my specs. So I guess in my case, not in the slightest.
Says the man currently trying to build a Gary Moore rig for shits and giggles.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Kind of makes you wonder whether you are buying these amazing pieces of gear or the amazing name associated with them. By the way, just checked out some of your Cathbard amps, and those are pretty awesome looking. Makes me wish I had the ability to make those types of things. I will just stick to project guitars.
Line 6 M13
Last edited by bobafettacheese at Mar 7, 2012,
Does it have to be one or the other?
If all your favorite albums were recorded on an AC30, is it really surprising that one of the better places to turn for that tone is a Vox product?

We get a lot of whining around here about brand names. Not to say that's what you're doing, but people who gravitate towards budget gear love to claim that the name is the only reason to buy the more expensive, bigger name brands. That's no more true than the idea that buying those brands will always yield better results.
Being a gear snob is not a good thing.

I've owned several Gibsons, a couple of Fenders and a Gretsch in the past and I can honestly say I get more pleasure out of my current range of inexpensive guitars than I did out of the more expensive ones. I think this is partly because I had higher expectation of the premium brands and partly because most of my current guitars are excellent quality despite being relatively unknown brands.

I'm not saying I'd never own a premium brand guitar again, however I don't miss my old Fenders or Gibsons at all. I do miss my old Gretsch though.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Well, how would that be applicable to me? Name one big name act that uses an Abbey amp?

Building the Moore rig is just an intellectual exercise to see how close I can get. I'll probably never gig with it. It is simply a challenge I've set myself as a tech. To clarify, I'm building the amp from scratch, not buying gear like he used, actually building it from the ground up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
My gear is not pricey by any means, but I get the sounds I hear in my head out and I guess that is the main idea. I wouldn't turn down the expensive gear, but I would not seek it out. I've found that like Roc said it doesn't necessarily mean that you will yield higher results. I am sure for many people perception is reality, owning the expensive brand names will make you better, when it just simply isn't the case.
Line 6 M13
i've never been concerned with "trying to fit in" with supposed "cool" music circles. i've always been about getting the best thing i can find that works for what i can afford to spend. believe me that has never been a whole lot. learned a lot about how to make gear work that way. my fav guitar is a Vineyard strat copy and i know those are almost never mentioned here or at the other boards i post at. my "main" guitar is a Fender Strat Plus Deluxe but suprisingly it's not really my fav. none of the rest of my gear has much "snob" appeal either. don't care because in the end its my playing that does the talking. after all the years of making due i've learned to get decent tone from just about any amp (within reason of course). fx are great but i don't rely on them they are just the icing.
Quote by Roc8995
If all your favorite albums were recorded on an AC30, is it really surprising that one of the better places to turn for that tone is a Vox product?

We get a lot of whining around here about brand names. Not to say that's what you're doing, but people who gravitate towards budget gear love to claim that the name is the only reason to buy the more expensive, bigger name brands. That's no more true than the idea that buying those brands will always yield better results.

+1

I complain about the big brands all the time, but I don't have much time for the "my $50 agile is better than a custom shop gibson" brigade either.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I'm kind of in between. My Godin Icon was not cheap at $1300, but cheaper than most high end Gibsons and PRS guitars. Its not a household name but the quality is the same as the two brands I mentioned. So no matter the price I want that quality, I just don't care what name is on it.
GEAR
Godin Icon Type 2 Classic
Vox SDC 33
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50 2x12
Roland Cube 80XL
Boss Tuner
BBE Boosta Grande
Ibanez TS9 Tube Screamer
Amptweaker Tightmetal
ISP Decimator
Zoom G3
TC Electronic Flashback
Visual Sound H2O
^ same here
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It's swings and roundabouts when it comes to gear preferences. It depends on the outcome you are looking for. I play what I need for the sound I want - I've got a $1700 AVRI '62 Jazzmaster and a custom-specced strat that weighs in at almost the same price, but a lot of the time if I'm playing garage rock I'll use the cheapo battered vox teardrop through a ratty fender champ that cost me less than half that price because it sounds so much better for that style of music. That said, if I'm playing instrumental surf, it's a whole different ball game. It's whatever suits the task at hand as far as I'm concerned.
Gear:
Fender AVRI '62 Jazzmaster, Fender Gold Sparkle Strat (custom), Custom Swirled Roswell Rhoads
Marshall DSL15H, Weber Speakers, Fender Champs (x2),
'63 Fender Reverb, Mosrite Fuzzrite, Joe Bonamassa Fuzz Face, Whiteface RAT
Vintage Tubes!
Last edited by jukejointjohnny at Mar 7, 2012,
I get what you are saying bobafet.

I'm a huge huge fan of Marshall for example. Always have been. But when I decided to pick up guitar I wasn't so sure that a Marshall was going to do it for me and I was convinced that I needed to buy a new amp. What did I do? I bought a used a Splawn. People can call me a gear snob if they want because of that but I have just as much fun rockin the Vypyr with my Schecter.
Quote by Roc8995

the OP really isn't whining about name brands after all he traded one name brand amp for another. i totally agree that you often gravitate towards the gear that will give you the sounds you love. i kinda think that the point of the post is that it doesn't have to be some expensive high end boutique gear. if you could say find a Peavey (or perhaps a Bugera) that would give you the same (or close enough) sound as the Vox AC 30 for half the price wouldn't you at least consider it? the snob of course would say Vox or nothing. maybe he'd be willing to get some boutique amp that does the same thing (for twice the price). you do pay at least a little for the "name" this is part of advertising. is the Gibson name adding say $1600 over one of the better Agile LP copies? nope, i'd be hard pressed to believe that.

i think that with any gear you do run into the law of diminishing returns. is the Custom Shop made Strat really $1500 better than the American Deluxe? to my ears no not really. it might look a little nicer and the feel might be a little better but that doesn't justify the cost to me. for others of course it might. as i said i buy the best i can afford. this means doing some research and of course letting my ears and hands make the final determination. like many new players i tried to go as cheap as possible and often bought stuff i didn't really need because i believed i "had to have it" of at least give the appearence that i did. you can buy a whole pedal board full of say Behringer fx for the cost of my delay and overdrive. i don't believe that you have to spend huge money for good results but more often than not you do have to spend a reasonable sum to get decent quality. knowing where to draw the line is the hard part.
Quote by monwobobbo
the OP really isn't whining about name brands after all he traded one name brand amp for another.

That is why I included a line acknowledging that he is not.

As far as cheaper gear being "good enough" or a better value - yes, it often is. But it's actually a lot more rare, on this forum at least, to hear someone say "only a vox is good enough" instead of "Get the Bugera clone, it's just as good" when perhaps it is not. (I say "good" here meaning "sounds like a Vox." I liked the V22 but it's no AC15.)

My point was that most of the complaining on this forum is actually about these alleged elitists, who are surprisingly hard to find in reality. We get posts and threads all the time calling people who spend over $X,000 on a guitar stupid and wasting money - yet I haven't seen one yet that is encouraging people to, say, save for another year and get a MIM Strat and an AC15 instead of settling on a Squier and a V22.

Short version: The perception and complaints that there are snobs is way more common than the actual presence of snobs. Turns out most "snobs" just have a decent job and can spend a little extra on something nice.
Quote by Roc8995
That is why I included a line acknowledging that he is not.

As far as cheaper gear being "good enough" or a better value - yes, it often is. But it's actually a lot more rare, on this forum at least, to hear someone say "only a vox is good enough" instead of "Get the Bugera clone, it's just as good" when perhaps it is not. (I say "good" here meaning "sounds like a Vox." I liked the V22 but it's no AC15.)

My point was that most of the complaining on this forum is actually about these alleged elitists, who are surprisingly hard to find in reality. We get posts and threads all the time calling people who spend over $X,000 on a guitar stupid and wasting money - yet I haven't seen one yet that is encouraging people to, say, save for another year and get a MIM Strat and an AC15 instead of settling on a Squier and a V22.

Short version: The perception and complaints that there are snobs is way more common than the actual presence of snobs. Turns out most "snobs" just have a decent job and can spend a little extra on something nice.

stop over at the Gear Page for the more "elitist" attitude. . you will find those who do recommend saving for better gear all the time. problem is that this is usually all that is said and that doesn't encourage the lenghty discussions that buying the cheaper stuff does. the guy that is talking about getting the Squier and Bugera is more often than not a kid that doesn't have A - money and B- Patience. telling someone to save for a year to get better gear is often advice that will go unheard as it doesn't involve instant gratification. if i need to save for a long while it's not a problem as i already have decent gear so waiting for something is no biggie. this isn't the case for many here. the other thing to keep in mind is that those who do have the patience to save often aren't the ones asking for advice. i give a lot of advice but you will rarely if ever see me asking for it here. this isn't bec ause i'm "better" than everyone (hardly) but because i've had a ton of experience and acess to plenty of gear to try myself. basically speaking i know what i want.

we've all run into "snobs" at one time or another and that is i believe what most are referring to not necessarily just people on this board. there are certainly brand fan boys to be found here.
Quote by Roc8995

Or they know how to find a bargain.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
No. If you have nice gear you paid too much for it. There is no second path.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band

but yeah i agree with colin. there are certainly snobs out there, but there's a big difference between snobs and people who have nice gear.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
My main amp is shite. It's a 30-40 year old Bullet 60 watt SS amp (not fender bullet, bullet) It has tube overdrive and it sounds pretty banging, mind you I go through my pedal (Zoom G2.1u...) Still sounds alright And the guitar i like playing the most either has to be my shitty rockburn, or a dean a friend gave me today. My Idols play Fenders and Les Pauls through Marshalls and whatever amp John Mayer uses..

Saying that I would love a Marshall or Les Paul, but not just because my favourite guitarists use them, o just like them.

Mind you, a lot of people just buy these stuff because the big names play them, prime example, a friend of mine (Hasn't been playing guitar long at all) Got an AFD Les Paul and an AFD100 amp, i asked what he likes about them, his reply was obviously ''Slash.''
Quote by Roc8995
No. If you have nice gear you paid too much for it. There is no second path.

i know that you are joking but it's this kind of quote that that a casual viewer might read that turns into the "snob" thing.

i think that maybe for the sake of discussion here that there needs to be a differenciation between having "nice gear" and going overboard. a fine line in many cases but at least that leaves some room for discussion. if you are say a john mayer fan do you "have" to have his sig guitar (custom shop model of course) and his sig 2-rock amp (or even better a Dumble)? on the other hand would a decent strat and an amp with good cleans with a couple of good quality pedals do the job and get you reasonably close to his sound. obviously a starter pack squier strat and SS practice amp isn't going to really get you there (but could work to get you playing).
The bottom line is tone. The reason you think your Classic 30 is better than the Marshall you had is because you like the tone better, or it's tone is "good enough" to satisfy you given the price.

Similarly for the feel of a guitar - if a cheap guitar feels "right" to you, it's easy to say that expensive guitars are a waste of money. But that's not being objective about the facts at all.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by monwobobbo
i know that you are joking but it's this kind of quote that that a casual viewer might read that turns into the "snob" thing.

I don't think there's a single literate person who would think that. Even if there were, it would just prove the point that there's more perceived snobbery than actual.

i think that maybe for the sake of discussion here that there needs to be a differenciation between having "nice gear" and going overboard. a fine line in many cases but at least that leaves some room for discussion. if you are say a john mayer fan do you "have" to have his sig guitar (custom shop model of course) and his sig 2-rock amp (or even better a Dumble)? on the other hand would a decent strat and an amp with good cleans with a couple of good quality pedals do the job and get you reasonably close to his sound. obviously a starter pack squier strat and SS practice amp isn't going to really get you there (but could work to get you playing).

Nobody, ever, is saying that you 'have' to have that gear, like you're implying. I've never seen that posted in a serious manner here. What I do see, a lot, is people who have decided to spend less (for perfectly good reasons) begrudging or refusing to understand people who have spent significantly more on gear (also for perfectly good reasons). On TGP it's the opposite, but the problem is still the same.

Don't define "good enough" for someone else. That's all I'm saying.
Quote by Roc8995
I don't think there's a single literate person who would think that. Even if there were, it would just prove the point that there's more perceived snobbery than actual.

Nobody, ever, is saying that you 'have' to have that gear, like you're implying. I've never seen that posted in a serious manner here. What I do see, a lot, is people who have decided to spend less (for perfectly good reasons) begrudging or refusing to understand people who have spent significantly more on gear (also for perfectly good reasons). On TGP it's the opposite, but the problem is still the same.

on the first point i think you are giving way more credit than is due. i've seen plenty of statements that were made in jest being taken seriously (including a few of my own).

on the second point i agree(to a point). you did missunderstand what i was saying though. i wasn't implying that you "have" to have anything. i used my statement as an example nothing more. there would be no point in having this thread or any discussion at all if we all didn't in some way define "good enough". it's human nature and is the basis for any advice given here really. you find a piece of gear to be really good "for you" and want to turn others on to the potential it has for them. it's an opinion of course but as a mod you know that folks will defend that opinion to the point of getting out of hand. makes the boards intersting and at times informative.
Quote by monwobobbo

yep, exactly. Or more or less, anyway. I mean I'm not saying there aren't reasons for more expensive kit, but there's definitely a line over which stuff is "good enough". Which is not to say the dearer stuff might not be "better", but yeah.

Quote by Roc8995

that too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been playing a Mexican Strat and a vox modeller for two years now, been gigging them for one. I've been wanting to build my own amp, and buy some analog effects, and all of that, but I realize I don't need to yet. My rig may be considered for beginners or n00bs, but it works for me. I guess that answers your question.
Quote by bobafettacheese

How much of the gear that we buy is because of the perception that we have to have certain gear in order to "fit in" with the elite musicians that have owned them?

Almost all of it.

A well-made Squire and any decent amp will sound good if you actually know how to play. People just want expensive gear because they think it'll make them sound better.

If you focus on songwriting and playing out - you won't worry about getting *that sound* or that new guitar as much.

Myself included.
You are exactly the sort of person I was talking about.

People want expensive gear because they think it will make them sound better because often it does.

I'm glad you're concentrating on the music, that's definitely the right thing to do, but wanting to sound better isn't unreasonable, and nicer gear is a perfectly valid way to improve your sound.
+ infinity

also the whole "if you can play you can sound good even on a shoebox strung with elastic bands" theory is something of a double-edged sword... I'd agree to a certain extent, but i'd also suggest that if you haven't achieved a certain level of proficiency on the instrument (or even just not played many good instruments) you might actually not be able to tell that better gear is, in fact, better.

both extremes are kinda silly. if you only sound good through a dumble and a 1959 les paul then there's something wrong. But likewise if you don't notice any difference between a $50 starter pack and a killer rig there's something wrong, too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+ infinity

also the whole "if you can play you can sound good even on a shoebox strung with elastic bands" theory is something of a double-edged sword... I'd agree to a certain extent, but i'd also suggest that if you haven't achieved a certain level of proficiency on the instrument (or even just not played many good instruments) you might actually not be able to tell that better gear is, in fact, better.

both extremes are kinda silly. if you only sound good through a dumble and a 1959 les paul then there's something wrong. But likewise if you don't notice any difference between a $50 starter pack and a killer rig there's something wrong, too.

Very well said.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
+ infinity

i only sound good if the shoebox is from a high end shoe store and the elastic is NASA appoved.

totally agree that you have to have some skill in playing and had time to develop your ear before you are in a position to tell what is "good enough"

Oceansbetweenus i can tell you that i'd much rather play my Strat Plus Deluxe over the Squier that lives in my closet. the squier isn't a bad guitar and i picked the one i have (originally bought for kid) because it was pretty good. through my setup it still sounds rather thin and it has issues with staying in tune even with a good setup. do i feel that i need a custom shop strat well no the strat plus deluxe is "good enough"
I have to say that this thread contains more bollocks and more gross generalisations than pretty much any thread I have ever read. Good gear will not only sound better but it will make it easier to play. Good gear doesn't have to be expensive, sometimes it is. You buy what you can find for the money you have available. My amp I scored cheap, my good guitar I paid a lot of money for. In their own way they are both outstanding pieces of equipment. Neither of them are used by anybody else I have ever come across (the guitar is actually a unique "one off")
Do people choose that gear based on what other people are using? Some do some don't.
Stupid thread is stupid.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
In my case I believe I'm a mix of what Cathbard, monwobobbo and Roc8995 say. It's not that I care about brand names or such but maybe a known brand has made something that can make you really happy. I'm in the idea that yeah, is good to wait, save more money and get better stuff, but sometimes you can get something that fullfils your needs without needing to wait. Another thing that chases me is that is sooooo ****'n hard to get decent gear over my area, rig stuff is way overpriced and there are not so many options (but luckily you could find something good for you in some cases). Everything depends on what do I need and what can I get at a certain moment and since I'm not a millionaire price matters.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by monwobobbo
i only sound good if the shoebox is from a high end shoe store and the elastic is NASA appoved.

totally agree that you have to have some skill in playing and had time to develop your ear before you are in a position to tell what is "good enough"

and

Quote by Cathbard
I have to say that this thread contains more bollocks and more gross generalisations than pretty much any thread I have ever read. Good gear will not only sound better but it will make it easier to play. Good gear doesn't have to be expensive, sometimes it is. You buy what you can find for the money you have available. My amp I scored cheap, my good guitar I paid a lot of money for. In their own way they are both outstanding pieces of equipment. Neither of them are used by anybody else I have ever come across (the guitar is actually a unique "one off")
Do people choose that gear based on what other people are using? Some do some don't.
Stupid thread is stupid.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?