Hello,

I'm a beginner at guitar/songwriting/music in general and was wondering what kind of device would be best for capturing musical ideas whenever they pop up (in the car, in front of the TV, etc.).

Just a regular (cheap) voice recorder? Or one like the zoom h2, which is more expensive: http://www.amazon.com/Zoom-H2-Portable-Stereo-Recorder/dp/B000VBH2IG/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1331140080&sr=1-1

Or something totally different?

Thanks for any suggestions!
I got me a Tascam DP-004 for such situations and I really like the results, but it took me a while to get comfortable with it.
Axes
Peavey V-Type NTB ST
Peavey PXD 23 II
Jackson JS32T
Ibanez RG 1570
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Blue Royale
ESP LTD EX-50

Amps & Effects
Mesa Boogie Nomad 55
Boss Katana KTN-Head
Roland JC-120
Boss GT-100
Boss ME-80
Zoom G5
I've got a simple voice recorder app on my smartphone. Works great for capturing little ideas. I beatbox and hum melodies into it.
The Line6 backtrack instant replay is perhaps a little overpriced when you compare it to something like the H2, but might be what you're looking for.

Goes between your guitar and amp like a pedal, but is constantly recording. If you've just played something really cool, you press a button afterwards to permanently save it. Also has an ok condenser mic for acoustic guitar, voice etc.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/line-6-backtrack-instant-replay-recorder-with-microphone

If you want cheap but decent, the Tascam Twotrack looks like a good stereo field recorder for around the same price as a normal voice recorder.
yes! that zoom is great
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Thanks for all your input.

- The voice recorder app on the smartphone is a good idea. - But I still want a separate device just for the purpose of capturing ideas.

- The Tascam DP-004 looks good, but a little complicated probably. I think I'd prefer the zoom h2

- The line 6 backtrack seems like a great device for the time when actually playing...Didn't know something like that existed. -I will get that, too, sooner or later.

For now it seems, like the zoom h2 is a good, and affordable portable recording device. I think I'll get it.