Hi, I'm a fool because I stripped my truss rod nut on my Godin LG Signature. I have been told it's a 4mm allen key that's needed to adjust the nut, but it's just spinning in the hole now. I even tried one of the gripper wrenches from Stew Mac (the 4 mm one), and it probably just stripped it even worse.

What are the options now? I believe the rod is double adjusting, which may complicate things. I actually have a tad too much bow in the neck, but the instrument is still playable long term; I just want to avoid a disaster later.
If it uses an Allen key it's not a nut. A nut would be easier to fix as you could simply remove and replace it.
One quick fix is to slot the head for common screwdriver, not sure how strong the "slot" would be, if you stripped out the allen key hole the rod must be fairly hard to turn.
Another approach depending upon contruction and cost is to remove the fingerboard and replace the rod. A fairly costly process.
Moving on.....
Thanks for your tip. Another thing I was thinking is that maybe I didn't release enough tension on the strings for my gripper wrench to start turning. It still sort of "grips", it's just hard to turn. I'll try that and then the screwdriver option.
Melt a pen, stick it down the hole and let it set. I've heard this works with regular screws, but I'm not sure if it'd work on a tross rod, and it might just make the issue even worse lol
Only fix for this ive seen is cutting a slot and using a screwdriver.

Removing the fingerboard may be possible, but its a professionals job. Expensive, and you may end up destroying the fingerboard doing it.
Gibson 58 RI VOS Custombuckers
Mesa Lonestar Special 2x12
Quote by Tallica9000
Hi, I'm a fool because I stripped my truss rod nut on my Godin LG Signature. I have been told it's a 4mm allen key that's needed to adjust the nut, but it's just spinning in the hole now. I even tried one of the gripper wrenches from Stew Mac (the 4 mm one), and it probably just stripped it even worse.

What are the options now? I believe the rod is double adjusting, which may complicate things. I actually have a tad too much bow in the neck, but the instrument is still playable long term; I just want to avoid a disaster later.

Maybe it needs an Imperial Allen key? Also a possibility, i'm not sure if you have adjusted it before and it just stripped.

I'd suggest consult the manual/godin website first, before doing anything radical.
Quote by El_Bozo
Maybe it needs an Imperial Allen key? Also a possibility, i'm not sure if you have adjusted it before and it just stripped.

I'd suggest consult the manual/godin website first, before doing anything radical.

Yeah, checked with a tech at Godin, it's 4mm. It's definitely stripped now, so I doubt any regular allen key will work. Like I said though, I still get some traction with the gripper wrench, so I'll slack off the strings and try again with that. Last night I was trying to loosen with the strings tuned up, which is probably dumb.
Here's a thought.... cut off a short section of 4mm allen wrench. Get some JB Weld, put a little on one end of the allen wrench section and put it into the truss rod end... let it cure for the recommended time, now you can use a 4mm nut driver to adjust the truss rod. Try it out first before using the JB weld to make sure you have it cut to the right length.
Quote by stormin1155
Here's a thought.... cut off a short section of 4mm allen wrench. Get some JB Weld, put a little on one end of the allen wrench section and put it into the truss rod end... let it cure for the recommended time, now you can use a 4mm nut driver to adjust the truss rod. Try it out first before using the JB weld to make sure you have it cut to the right length.

That's thinking with your dipstick. Turn your innie into an outtie.
I like the JB weld idea, but you might get away with an 11/64 allen key, it's .014 larger (Yeah, 14 thousandths) than a 4mm and might get you where you need to be.

And trying to adjust your truss rod with string tension wasn't 'probably' dumb...just plain dumb...

Live and learn.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by stormin1155

i like this idea, but just try and explain it to someone u sell the guitar too in the future.
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by stormin1155

I was actually going to suggest this, ive talked to many people who have done it and it works. I almost ended up doing this to my 1998 RG470FM but then I traded it off to a guy for a Warlock.