Hey Guys,

So I have a question. I would like to know how to make my guitar sound better. Also, what exactly changes a guitar's sound? is it the pick ups I use, the strings, the guitar in general or the amp?

Current gear:
Amp: Marshall Valvestate 8080
Guitar: Richwood Les Paul
Guitar pick ups: stock
Guitar pedal: digitech RP 255

Thanks!
Improve your technique.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
^ +1.

Technique to me honestly is one of the most important things in your playing aswell as if your guitar is suited to you or not.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by awesome2201
Hey Guys,

So I have a question. I would like to know how to make my guitar sound better. Also, what exactly changes a guitar's sound? is it the pick ups I use, the strings, the guitar in general or the amp?

Current gear:
Amp: Marshall Valvestate 8080
Guitar: Richwood Les Paul
Guitar pick ups: stock
Guitar pedal: digitech RP 255

Thanks!

All the things you've mentioned and many more do affect your tone. As people have said though, good technique is easily the most important factor. Controlled bends/vibrato, clean fretting and even picking are the places to start
My Soundcloud
Always up for some C4C, been compared to Frank Turner, The Cure's Robert Smith and Bruce Springsteen so check out my stuff if you like the sound of that
None of the gear you mentioned sounds like it would be holding you back. I would work on nice clean playing for now to improve your sound. If down the road you find something really specific you want to change (e.g. "I want a slightly hotter sound out of my bridge without sacrificing a lot of clarity"), then you can start fiddling with settings and gear.
language
jazyk
kieli
язык
العربية

My Tumblr: Lots of artist recommendations, album reviews, and ideas about music (as well as some film and bike stuff).

Go Sharks! Go Wings! Go Flyers! Go Kings!
get a tube amp

obviously practise too
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
What EQ are you using?
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
I've been completely reworking the way I pick and that has a MASSIVE difference on your tone. Gear makes your potential tone better, but you have to get a good technique down to unlock it.

That's how I see it at least.
Quote by BigSmokeDawg
Gear makes your potential tone better, but you have to get a good technique down to unlock it.

That's how I see it at least.

exactly

but bad gear can hold you back, too

i subscribe to the weakest link theory
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
every single thing effects your tone. Your amp, guitar, pickups, electronics, pedals, leads, strings, picks, fingers, type of floor your on... it all matters.

"improving" your tone is a very broad statement. what exactly about your tone don't you like? or, what do you want it to be like that it isn't? the more specific you can be, the more actual help you'll get.
i predict a new fad on TGP for boutique carpets.

you saw it here first
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
i predict a new fad on TGP for boutique carpets.

you saw it here first

Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I've been playing the same guitar for 10 years now and I think it sounds better now than ever. The only thing that's changed is I have 10 more years of playing experience under my belt.
It might be the rp through the valvestate though.
Valvestate is practically solidstate. Most solidstates don't work too well with a pedal in front of them, especially not a modeller.

I used my rp through a solidstate (not a valvestate tough but similar) and never got it to work the way I liked too.
I bet my pod HD500 would equally suck through that same amp, eventhough it's a better modeller. But use that modeller through a tube amp (doesn't even have to be a stack, a small 10-watter would do the trick, well maybe not for gigging) and you'll have much more feel and transparency.

My point is; if you want to upgrade something, start with the amp if you want the pedal to be your tone. Richwood make decent guitars, so no worries there.
Valvestates are not bad amps on their own either, I just don't think they combine well with pedals.

Soooow: if you want to use the pedal=> new amp
if you like the tone of the amp more=> remove the pedal from the chain
and focus all your attention on twisting them knobs on your amp to
find your tone.