hello
ive been playing bass since christmas, however as i played guitar before i found it much easier to use a pick. I want to start using my fingers, and learn slap. my finger picking is very...uneven? thats the only word i can think to describe it. any tips on getting it to sound more natural and even? and slap, i can do the slap ok-ish, and the pop well, just not together. and tips for that? thanks
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
When you play with your fingers try to strum just over your pick-ups that way you will get an even tone and it is just a case of building up finger strength. Slapping!! I dont really know how to help without seeing you play, as long as your hand is off the body of the bass and you hit the string with the joint of your thumb, then its a case of practise. You will get there man.
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

thank you for the speedy reply. il try playing over the pickups, and tips on getting the timing even as well as the tone? il definately practice slap. i have been all evening :L starting to get a blister on my thumb.
Bass:Squire Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
Guitar: Fender Mexican Telecaster Standard
Pedals: Boss ME-25>EHX Germanium 4 Big Muff Pi>EHX Small Stone
Bass Amp: Orange Crush 100
Amp: Fender Mustang II
Hope it works out for you dude
You are part of the rebel alliance, and a traitor.

slap will come eventually. it came for me after 3 months of messing around between "serious practice" (I can only slap simple things, of course). as far as finger playing style, left guitar, and started playing bass, i started playing fingerstyle. it's nothing but practice, and have patience so that you give your body the time to accomodate to the instrument.

also, if you hear yourself uneven, i recommend you to record yourself when you're practicing so that you can tell what are your mistakes, and then what to focus on. and give yourself time, things like this takes a while, but comes naturally (IF you practice seriously).

i started playing much better since i record myself. it really helps you to listen what is going on when you play.
Quote by FatalGear41
When you break a bass string, that snapping sound is the sound of six dollars going down the crapper.

Sterling Ray 35
Hartke Ha3500 head - Gallien Krueger 212MBE cab
Tech 21 VT Bass
Zoom b2
I use a pick for the bass to.. just cant seem to keep up with my fingers :/

Quote by JakeElson
and tips on getting the timing even?

Use a metronome silly
Everything in this thread is pretty much answered by practise, practise and more practise.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!