So, I have a MIM HSS Strat and a Marshall MG15DFX. I want a vale amp and don't have much money.
I considered a Marshall MA but heard they suck. I'm now thinking about Orange amps. I like playing simple stuff like Bowie or hard shredding a la Malmsteen, Bach, etc. Blues, cleans, etc.

so, Tiny Terror 15 vs TH30 Combo?
I want an amp loud enough for gigging and I doubt the TT15 will be enough, right?

And what about their two knobs? Gain+Tone; that's it? Do they get good sounds or do 2 knobs just sound ridiculous?
TT should be enough with a drummer who isn't King Kong and a decent 2X12/4X12

the TH30 would be more than enough I think.

Got no idea on the tones of either though.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
The tiny terror will not stay clean with a drummer. If you need cleans you need to up the wattage. Thirty watts should be fine.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
How come?

I mean 15watt is NOTHING. There's no way I can gig with that is there?

I just said you can't, without being miced, if you need to play clean.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Quote by Powersurge213
Have you considered Blackstar amps at all?

i tried one, and it was quite terrible!

i think they sound quite dirty
Quote by tubetime86
I just said you can't, without being miced, if you need to play clean.

sorry

and what about its 2 knobs? Are they as versatile as Bass Middle Treble?
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
i tried one, and it was quite terrible!

i think they sound quite dirty

Not sure I agree with that, did you dile it in with some mids up and didn't scoop it?

I'm an owner of a HT-5 and I don't think it sounds dirty, but ears in the beholder tbh.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
sorry

and what about its 2 knobs? Are they as versatile as Bass Middle Treble?

I haven't used one... But I can say that by definition it is not as versatile. How much it hinders the tone, I can't say for sure though. I'd suggest trying one out.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I'm currently running a 1987 Strat Plus through an Orange Rocker 30 head and quite like the tone I get for blues rock. As far as the TT15 I've never played one in a gigging situation but I wouldn't imagine you would have much trouble getting over a drummer with that.

Still my recommendation would go to the TH30 combo because you can switch between 7,15,and 30 watts for practice, around the house, and gigs. The TH30 also comes with the option of running a daisy chain to another cabinet (not to say you couldn't with the TT). We're also talking a difference of ~$700 between the two as well.

edit: I spent a bit of time yesterday playing with a tiny terror yesterday at Guitar Center I dunno if I would use it for a gig.
Last edited by rocket monkey at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
How come?

It's not going to be loud enough clean. But crank that "gain" knob up and shit'll get nasty.
Quote by rocket monkey
I'm currently running a 1987 Strat Plus through an Orange Rocker 30 head and quite like the tone I get for blues rock. As far as the TT15 I've never played one in a gigging situation but I wouldn't imagine you would have much trouble getting over a drummer with that.

Still my recommendation would go to the TH30 combo because you can switch between 7,15,and 30 watts for practice, around the house, and gigs. The TH30 also comes with the option of running a daisy chain to another cabinet (not to say you couldn't with the TT). We're also talking a difference of ~$700 between the two as well.

edit: I spent a bit of time yesterday playing with a tiny terror yesterday at Guitar Center I dunno if I would use it for a gig.

I have around 500€: they offer me TT15=550€ TH30=850€ (all new)
Now, do u recommend waiting? And if waiting, do I wait even a bit longer for a Marshall?
I'd rather have a combo than a head for now tho!
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
How come?

15W is very different when it comes to valve amps. I've played a 0.5W amp that would blow your MG out of the water!

I've gigged with the tiny terror a fair bit and it's a good sounding amp and plenty loud enough for rhythm. However, I found the lead really didn't cut through the mix at all, there's just not enough headroom for a big searing lead guitar tone.

I'd suggest checking out the Bugera 1990 and the Hayden Mofo.
The single tone knob is not for adjusting it a lot as much as it is a light tweak. If you're not happy with its tone, the knob probably won't change your mind. And as has been pointed out, giggable cleans are iffy.

Why Orange? If you like the sound of the TT, try the AD-30; it's a much more similar tone than the Thunder 30.
Quote by Wisthekiller
tl;dr How does one safely remove the smell of a corpse from a banjo?

Would you run down past the fence?

Tell us, is the black box lying?
I wonder how long it's been since there was a thread about amps where some Blackstar fanboi didn't try to plug one of their fizzy hybrid pieces of shit. They've become the new 6505. Doesn't matter what somebody is looking for it's "buy a Blackstar." I wish you guys would just FO.

The TH30 would be a good choice if you like the sound of it. It's loud enough to do the job.
Lots of knobs are over-rated. If you like the sound wtf does it matter if it has 1 knob or 30? Lots of albums were recorded with Champs with nothing but a volume knob. Go give one a try, if you like the sound it has, buy it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
So, I have a MIM HSS Strat and a Marshall MG15DFX. I want a vale amp and don't have much money.
I considered a Marshall MA but heard they suck. I'm now thinking about Orange amps. I like playing simple stuff like Bowie or hard shredding a la Malmsteen, Bach, etc. Blues, cleans, etc.

so, Tiny Terror 15 vs TH30 Combo?
I want an amp loud enough for gigging and I doubt the TT15 will be enough, right?

And what about their two knobs? Gain+Tone; that's it? Do they get good sounds or do 2 knobs just sound ridiculous?

dude this is like your 10th thread asking the same ?s didn't the last bunch of times you asked about amps answer them?
Quote by monwobobbo
dude this is like your 10th thread asking the same ?s didn't the last bunch of times you asked about amps answer them?

+1
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Quote by monwobobbo

no they didnt, that's why i STILL have my doubts - after all, if it really hurts your soul that much:

just ignore my threads; my posting isnt killing you in any way is it?
I've tried the TT15 combo, wasn't impressed with the tones at all, and it couldn't stay clean at high volumes.
I suggest that you wait untill you can get the TH30. I own one, and I really like the tones I can get from it: lovely cleans (from dark to fenderish), and gritty distorted tones.
I use mine for melodic hardcore, and it does the job quite well, it's not as tight as I want, but I like the distorted sounds.
Try out different amps though, you might like other brands more, since orange has a distinct sound.

#2 of the Orange TH30 Clique
Gear:
Orange TH30 Head
Orange PPC410 Cab
Ibanez ART500e
Cort KX5
Almansa 434 Cedro
Quote by YYMMalmsteen
no they didnt, that's why i STILL have my doubts - after all, if it really hurts your soul that much:

just ignore my threads; my posting isnt killing you in any way is it?

no it isn't killing me at all. would it kill you to be polite? what i'm getting at is that your credibilty is taking a major nosedive as you keep asking the same things over and over. dude just go try out some amps and figure out what works best for you.

as for doubts well be specific as to what is bothering you. also accept the fact that most amps aren't perfect for everything and that you appearently can't afford the ones that do reasonably cover all bases. no shame in that. i've given you a ton of advice already as have several others and yet still no amp. have some balls and pick one out. spend some time with it and down the road you can get something better when you are ready.
Th30!
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Cathbard
I wonder how long it's been since there was a thread about amps where some Blackstar fanboi didn't try to plug one of their fizzy hybrid pieces of shit. They've become the new 6505. Doesn't matter what somebody is looking for it's "buy a Blackstar." I wish you guys would just FO.

hating on people with bad taste is like making fun of people who eat vegemite. in some cultures the sound of the blackstar may actually be preferred (think of this as the inflatable kiddie pool of guitar playing), these undeveloped ears are actually attracted to this over-the-top, unbalanced, and obnoxious sound.

it's kinda like as a child you'd eat cardboard with salt on it (hot dog with ketchup or mustard) instead of something richly textured with a wide range of subtle flavors (foie gras).

i actually find that younger, and less developed players prefer the aggressive compression, the noisy harmonic content and the lack of dynamic response. it makes their tone sound more consistent (which is important in a player that hasn't developed consistency in his mechanics as yet).

'better' guitar amps tend to respond quite dramatically to dynamics and tend to make newer players sound less consistent (which they equate with sounding 'worse'). 'nice' guitar amps frustrate younger players for a number of reasons...

another factor being that they usually expect more distortion from 'better' amps. radio production tends to make many backing guitars sound really thick and saturated and newer players usually think guitars are more distorted than they really are (but is really layering and production tricks made in studios using nice equipment and multi-tracking methods).

i think 'crappy' equipment (spider iii, MG) sounds bad to us for the same exact reasons it sounds good to beginners. most beginners don't play in band settings, they play in their bedrooms (most likely, they may play along with radios, stereo's or computer speakers). spider iii's, blackstars and MG's are really good with fading into the background when playing along with stereos (what do you know, you disappear in the mix and it sounds better? sound like a beginner amp to me)

the realization usually happens when they actually do play in a band, and they actually start relating their guitar tone more to the "other guitar player's guitar tone" rather than a recording. they find they can't be heard in the mix and you usually can't even tell what they're playing when they are heard. they'll find there tone has no dynamics and that playing with a live band is completely different than playing along with a stereo.

at least, that is the way i remember it (i started playing guitar once too, i had a marshall valvestate). i don't really think a 'majority' of guitar players really get past this point either, many 'guitarists' will never play in bands and most eventually just stop playing. the cultured and advanced guitarists is really quite the minority.

btw, i gotta orange OR50H, single channel, 3 band eq, master, gain, and something of a 'presence' knob. super simple, sounds awesome. i recommend it. like it much better than rockerverb and TH models (except the TH200, this things is awesome)
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 12, 2012,