Page 1 of 3
OK recommend me a nice tube head with really great clean sounds. It should have lots of headroom, so a higher wattage is preferable (50 to 100 watts, I assume would be good). It needs to be able to keep up with a 50 watt Marshall volume-wise. It should take pedals really well too, both in front of the amp and in the loop.

I really like the Fender Twin and Ampeg GVT for clean sounds. Unfortunately there is no Fender Twin head and they only make the Ampeg GVT heads up to 20 watts, which is probably not enough headroom for gigging.

I'm willing to spend $500, maybe a bit more. Any recommendations?
Old silverface Fender Bassmans can be found for that and fit the bill pretty well.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
I've got a Fender Roc Pro 1000 that i got for $100 that has a surprisingly good clean sound. It's also the loudest 100 watt head I've ever played.
Alright cool, thanks for the suggestions guys. I'll see if I can find a vintage bassman head, ut if that fails... Is the Bandmaster VM head any good? It's around the same price range and in production currently
you can't go wrong with either the bandmaster or a bassman. fender amp dicks will tell you that no silverface amp is good but i've played through a silverface bandmaster and i loved it, i imagine the VM won't disappoint
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
I use a Fender Champ 600 for a head, and it's really LOUD and clean. You can use an EQ pedal to up the treble a bit, because it kind of lacks in Mid and High end.
the only thing I can add in buying an old tube head is play the thing for a long long time before you buy it , sometimes they dont act up right away . Anybody who wont let you fully test out a older amp like that knows something is up with it.Mine didnt like being on the cab at all, something was loose but nothing visable and did not happen every day. And finding that out after you buy it sucks. And it is hard sometimes to find someone good to fix the older stuff and it can get expensive .
I had a 65 Bandmaster, nice sounding and really loud for the rated 40 watts, it pushed a 2x12 harder than a peavey XXX and thats rated at 120 watts.
I was able to trade mine for $400 of stuff to a local amp junkie even though it was funky. Vintage fenders in mn are going for $600 $1000 recently.
What the hell!!!
Quote by Buck's Student
I use a Fender Champ 600 for a head, and it's really LOUD and clean. You can use an EQ pedal to up the treble a bit, because it kind of lacks in Mid and High end.

He asked for headroom.

Quote by danvwman
the only thing I can add in buying an old tube head is play the thing for a long long time before you buy it , sometimes they dont act up right away . Anybody who wont let you fully test out a older amp like that knows something is up with it.Mine didnt like being on the cab at all, something was loose but nothing visable and did not happen every day. And finding that out after you buy it sucks. And it is hard sometimes to find someone good to fix the older stuff and it can get expensive .
I had a 65 Bandmaster, nice sounding and really loud for the rated 40 watts, it pushed a 2x12 harder than a peavey XXX and thats rated at 120 watts.
I was able to trade mine for $400 of stuff to a local amp junkie even though it was funky. Vintage fenders in mn are going for $600 $1000 recently.

I agree with the parts that are coherent enough to understand.
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
Last edited by tubetime86 at Mar 9, 2012,
No to derail the thread too much, but what are the main differences between silverface and blackface? My friend told me that the silverfaces don't break up as easily, but that doesn't seem like a bad thing...?
it was a different circuitry setup, the blackface used different components. but what i like about fenders is that no two amps, even the same model, are the same. since the old ones were done by hand you could come across silverface amps that had a blackface circuitry. now i'm not a wicked knowledgeable fender amp expert, but i like my silverface twin, a lot of older guys tend to think the silverface amps don't stack up against a blackface. but i honestly like the look of a silverface more, and either one is better than a line 6....so yeah
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
The Peavey ValveKing has a really good clean channel, for what you pay. I believe it's a slightly modified Blackface circuit, I'm sure someone can correct me on that.

They're very rare, but the Peavey Classic 100 heads are supposed to be godly. I just remembered those existed them a couple days ago. That's more Vox-ish than Fender-ish though.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Buck's Student

You and I have VERY different definitions of "really loud" apparently.

Blackface Bassman and Bandmaster are both fine suggestions. If you see a Twin in your pricerange I'd grab it too. No reason you couldn't make a new headshell for it and leave the combo cabinet in the attic in case you ever want to sell it later.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Plug a Champ 600 into a 4x4 cab. Good lord, I wish we had ignore lists.
Quote by Cathbard

Blackface Bassman and Bandmaster are both fine suggestions. If you see a Twin in your pricerange I'd grab it too. No reason you couldn't make a new headshell for it and leave the combo cabinet in the attic in case you ever want to sell it later.

cath is dead on as usual.

i have a 1968 bassman, sliverface. it is a great sounding amp, tons of headroom. there is evidence of its guts, but it looks like it was modded partially to blackface, with some different components, i haven't opened it up for a long time. its a great amp for LOUD cleans.

i would buy a twin on the spot for the right spot on craigslist.

another thing if you really want the reverb, i have the schematics for a fender tube driven reverb unit, that could be incorporated with further modding.

that would be nice to give you really really good reverb with different amps.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by Buck's Student

I have a Fender 5F1 Champ clone that I regularly run into a 1960A. If you think that that is loud you've never heard loud. I have 5W, 18W, 60W and 100W amps (and currently building a 45W'er and a 15W'er.) I do knows what's what in that regard. A Champ is NOT loud, I don't care what you plug it into. Sit a drummer in the same room as you and you will soon discover the error of your ways.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Buck's Student

What's a 4x4 cab? Like a pick em up truck?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

(512) Audio Engineering - Custom Pedal Builds, Mods and Repairs
^duh matt, a cab with four 4" speakers.

music man hd-130 or hd-150. headroom for days.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 9, 2012,
Also Traynor YBA 1A is a wicked clean head.
(()____(Main Rig)____())>

Carvin CS4 Goldtop
PRS Santana SE
Carvin SC90
Washburn Taurus 5-string Bass
Peavey 6505
Carvin v3m
Carvin 2x12
Spider Valve Cab
Plenty of Pedals.
Found something for you. This is as clean as it gets, super, super reliable. Loud as ****.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Roland-Jazz-Chorus-120H-Amplifier-Head-Guitar-Amp-JC-120-/220971515100?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3372edbcdc#ht_3577wt_1189

Oh no!!! Cathbard recommended a SS amp!!!!! THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE IS UPON US!!!!!!!

Seriously though. Watch that auction; just under two days to go and so far it's only at $100.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 10, 2012,
Quote by gumbilicious

music man hd-130 or hd-150. headroom for days.

And this so hard. It's nay impossible to find an amp with more clean headroom than those big Music Mans.
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Cathbard
I have a Fender 5F1 Champ clone that I regularly run into a 1960A. If you think that that is loud you've never heard loud. I have 5W, 18W, 60W and 100W amps (and currently building a 45W'er and a 15W'er.) I do knows what's what in that regard. A Champ is NOT loud, I don't care what you plug it into. Sit a drummer in the same room as you and you will soon discover the error of your ways.

I can't turn mine past Six without shaking the walls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFPqHaXOK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkwoTdG4iA0

Unless your drummer has retard strength, overriding him shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: You have a clone; no wonder. You don't have the 600 reissue. What a pathetic argument. You don't even have the same damn amp!
Quote by Buck's Student
You have a clone; no wonder. You don't have the 600 reissue. What a pathetic argument. You don't even have the same damn amp!

you're arguments make very little sense to me.

the champ 600 ri isn't a louder than a drummer stay clean amp ever and never will be.

ever.
Quote by Buck's Student
I can't turn mine past Six without shaking the walls.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaFPqHaXOK0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkwoTdG4iA0

Unless your drummer has retard strength, overriding him shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: You have a clone; no wonder. You don't have the 600 reissue. What a pathetic argument. You don't even have the same damn amp!

It's 5w. It's not going to stay clean over any drummer ever. The 600 is even quieter than a clone of the 5F1 due to insertion loss of the tone stack. How often do you gig?
E-peen:
Rhodes Gemini
Fryette Ultra Lead
Peavey 6505
THD Flexi 50

Gibson R0 Prototype
EBMM JP13 Rosewood
Fender CS Mary Kaye

WTLT

Quote by Buck's Student
You have a clone; no wonder. You don't have the 600 reissue. What a pathetic argument. You don't even have the same damn amp!

Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
I can get a clean-y sound with my AC4 when playing with a drummer without rolling back the guitar volume and everyone in the room can hear it well.

I don't get how people need a 15+ watt amp to "practise" with a drummer if they need cleans.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
Quote by Buck's Student

Quote by mmolteratx
It's 5w. It's not going to stay clean over any drummer ever. The 600 is even quieter than a clone of the 5F1 due to insertion loss of the tone stack.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I think you can find people with more brains on Topix.com. You guys should be proud. You have exceeded the troll level of even 4Chan.
So my hand built clone of the most classic Champ of all time is going to be quieter than a mass produced Chinese pos is it? A half assed Champ with an abortionary fixed tone stack designed to encourage people to part with large amounts of money for their hand-built one is better than one I've made with hand selected components, American transformers and the best NOS tubes I could find.
Thanks for clearing that up for me.

Ah, what would I know? I just build them.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Buck's Student
I think you can find people with more brains on Topix.com. You guys should be proud. You have exceeded the troll level of even 4Chan.
You're one of the cockiest and most ignorant UGers I've seen in awhile.

5W isn't THAT much power, especially not for clean use over a drummer. That's just dumb. Yes they'll get loud, it's not going to have the same headroom of a much larger amp though. Recommending a tiny Champ is a ridiculous suggestion for what the Thread Starter is wanting. It'll do it I guess, but why go to battle with a .22 when you can have a 5.56?

Do you even know what the difference between a 600 and a 5F1 is? Or what "5F1" even means? I guarantee your amp isn't as loud as Cath's clone (that's probably louder than an original example) just from the fact yours has a tonestack. Bypass that and you'll churn out quite a few more decibels and gain. I'll also guarantee Cath's Champ sounds immensely better than your stock cheap mass production PCB "Champ". At any volume, and through your "4x4" cab.

TS: Caths Jazz Chorus suggestion is an excellent one, albeit not tube.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Thanks for enlightening us with your obvious wisdom and expertise regarding Champs. Next time somebody wants me to mod their Champ 600 to sound like a real Champ I'll send them to you shall I? I mean you obviously know more than me.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Buck's Student

Go join them then, you're clearly far too intelligent and experienced for us.

Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Cathbard
Thanks for enlightening us with your obvious wisdom and expertise regarding Champs. Next time somebody wants me to mod their Champ 600 to sound like a real Champ I'll send them to you shall I? I mean you obviously know more than me.

Yeah, because I claim that I can build amps, and mod them, better than anyone.

This whole argument was over volume. Now you're saying that you're an amp genius, and I can't have an opinion or my own experience. Come on; at least have the decency not to blow your own horn. When did I do that? I didn't. I only rebutted your posts, which were rude from the beginning. How do you expect me to respond? Shrivel up in a corner and cry?

Whatever.
Cath has probably fixed more amps than you've even played.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Buck's Student
Yeah, because I claim that I can build amps, and mod them, better than anyone.

This whole argument was over volume. Now you're saying that you're an amp genius, and I can't have an opinion or my own experience. Come on; at least have the decency not to blow your own horn. When did I do that? I didn't. I only rebutted your posts, which were rude from the beginning. How do you expect me to respond? Shrivel up in a corner and cry?

Whatever.

hi.

you are wrong.

More is a comparative adjective.

I don't care how loud you think your champ is.

It's still 5 watts.

K bye.
Jumping on dat gear sig train.
PRS Hollowbody II / BKP Warpigs
Strandberg OS6T / BKP Aftermath
Strandberg OS7 / Lace Poopsticks
Skervesen Raptor 7FF / BKP Warpigs
Skervesen Raptor 6 NTB / BKP Juggernauts
Hapas Sludge 7 FF / Hapas Leviathan
Anderson Baritom / Motorcity Nuke BKP Sinner Anderson H2+
Warmoth Baritone / BKP Piledriver
Ibanez Rg2120x / BKP Nailbomb

Blackstar ID:Core Beam
Quote by Eppicurt
Cath has probably fixed more amps than you've even played.

WHAT THE **** DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH ANYTHING?

At what point did I say I have more experience? At what point did I say I was ever better than Cath? I didn't.
Quote by AcousticMirror
hi.

you are wrong.

More is a comparative adjective.

I don't care how loud you think your champ is.

It's still 5 watts.

K bye.

Because Wattage has everything to do with volume.
Page 1 of 3