Hi all

Bought this guitar a little while ago and it had an extra cavity in it. Not sure what it was used for originally but there is a wire that's been chopped off that was connected to whatever was in there and the other end was connected to the top of the tone pot (I think)

I'm confused as to what this could have been as there is no switch or anything on the front to switch anything that would have been in there on and no access on the back as the cavity cover doesn't have a hole in for a switch or anything.

Anyone got any idea what could have been in there? And now, what I could put in there so it's not just an empty cavity.

Here's some pics for an idea of size...

Any suggestions would be great!
Gear:
SQ Custom 1, Washburn G-JRVs x3, Yamaha ERG121C, Samick Interceptor, Encore Acoustic, Vintage 5 String Bass, Unbranded Red Bass.
Line 6 SpiderII Halfstack, Laney/Carlsboro Halfstack.
Crybaby,Whammy,Flanger,Stage Tuner,Tremolo,Bass Overdrive
I am thinking this guitar may have had active electronics and this may have had batteries fitted in it or something?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Theoretically - the pots could be replaced with push/pull pots. Then from there, you could wire effects boards, active electronics (preamps and whatnot), or anything you want really without drilling any holes in the front of the guitar, that could be turned on or off with the pots.

It doesnt look as though the pots in it now are push/pull, but thats an option if you're looking for something to do with it.

It was definitely done after the fact, because the routing doesnt look super clean.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Mar 7, 2012,
It was probably batteries for active pups, or could be for a Fernandez sutainer.
It may have just been an attempt to make the guitar lighter. Or perhaps it was a little storage compartment.
People do weird things to guitars thinking they're making them "better."
That's the worst place on the body to be removing wood(right behind the bridge),but I would have to agree with that being a battery box.
Thanks for all of the suggestions! Was thinking I could possibly hook up some kind of effects pedal in the back of it with all of the wiring inside and possibly two extra jack sockets on the side to have the in and out wires.

Any ideas as to the best way to do this? And what kind of effects/effects pedal would be good to put in it? Looking for an effects pedal which only had a small amount of wiring so it would fit in the cavity - any ideas of any pedals which don't have much in them?

Thanks for all the help!
Gear:
SQ Custom 1, Washburn G-JRVs x3, Yamaha ERG121C, Samick Interceptor, Encore Acoustic, Vintage 5 String Bass, Unbranded Red Bass.
Line 6 SpiderII Halfstack, Laney/Carlsboro Halfstack.
Crybaby,Whammy,Flanger,Stage Tuner,Tremolo,Bass Overdrive
This isnt the best example - the pots are all mounted to the PCBs, but you could do something like this - http://www.guitarfetish.com/MODboards_c_30.html if you're looking for a built-in effect.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212