I have recently bought the My first tube amp did my homework on looking after it and played it today and loved it. The first chords i played to get an idea of tone sounded exactly like Ac Dc and playing more it was good for alot of classic rock and metal.

However i want to know is there something i can do to make it a little bit better the amp cost £230 so it was a bargain i couldn't refuse and it sounded good.

But i can't quite hit early Thrash metal like metallica Kill em all album i can play the rhyme but kirk hammet leads i can't seem to get and the same story with modern Hardcore punk bands like Gallow and rise against the Rhyme guitar is perfect but i want to be able to get more of a lead in solo's etc.

There also a problem with the amps naturally overdrive where it's more fuzzy then hard rock destortion and again is there something to help that too.

So is there any pedals i should get or some magic technique passed down by elders or withcraft. Keep in mind to not go over board i like to keep the floor below me tidy i just want my leads to scream and be more meat and potato.

But i id have a thought that it's not the amps fault for this and this is where i need an opinion.

Im playing of a white horse 1X12 because it was the only one i can find that can take 100 watts good for playing in my room. It's cheap and not plywood.

Also while i usally play erne ball 52-10 strings i had to play 46-10 which i quite buzzy and maybe affect the performance.

Plus im playing in door in my bedroom so i needed to keep the volume down so i don't annoy the nighbours animal or the people that live with me.

Info on the laney

it's te 6 knob one similar to a JCM800 set up wise.

I do have £150 to play with but try not too blow out all reserve alittle.
Last edited by itsonlyauser at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
OD pedal
EQ pedal
new speaker

Specifc brands or models?

And would a new speaker be enough even if the cabinet is made of shit.
To hit really "metal" tones with the 6 knob AOR, you'll want either an overdrive pedal, or an EQ pedal with a output volume control. Using one of these pedals will push the tubes just a bit more and yield more aggressive distortion.

Also, AOR's are notorious for their fuzzy quality. Some people don't like them for modern metal, but for thrash and more "lofi" sounds, it should be great.

If you didn't want any pedals, you shouldv'e aimed at the 8 knob AOR's... Those have a footswitchable tube gain boost.

Quote by itsonlyauser

I think the MXR 10 Band EQ is one with an output volume, maybe the Boss GE-7... Tubescreamers and similar pedals are a good option, but I don't like how they generally cut bass frequencies.

I wouldn't buy a new speaker for that 112... Try to find a 212 somewhere. You may be seriously pushing that speaker into distortion with enough volume.

I'd look for a 212 cab with Celestion GK100s or G12T75s. The AOR will thank you by not burning your speaker out. I think Eminence makes even higher rated speakers. Like maybe up at 150W per speaker. Check though.

Hope that helps!
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
JJ ECC83S tubes.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I think the MXR 10 Band EQ is one with an output volume, maybe the Boss GE-7... Tubescreamers and similar pedals are a good option, but I don't like how they generally cut bass frequencies.
Quote by itsonlyauser

on a budget?

Digitech Bad Monkey OD $50 Gain on 0, Level on 10. It has a bass and treble control
Danelectro Fish n Chips 6 band EQ. $35 Sturdy. Volume slider. Not too noisy
That leaves $60 for either new JJ preamp tubes like Cath suggested or a better speaker.

I have no idea what speaker you have now but a new speaker will help too.

Obviously that was USD but you get the idea
You can always reinforce the cabinet.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Ok thank you for your suggestion i may however ask the laney club on the forum as they will be alittle more qualified.

Do i need an overdrive if i need something as a boast why not a line boaster like the Carbon copy something more neutral as an overdrive would as it's charecteristic to the amp which i would like if was more ballsy and less fuzzy.

But all these thing will be put on the list to help me out.
Speakers: Ted Weber Gray Wolf, Celestion's V30, GK10 or G12T75.
Overdrives: Digitech Bad Monkey, Joyo Vintage Overdrive, Ibanez Tubescreamer, etc... (try them in a store first).
Tubes: JJ's (like Cathbard said), Sed Winged C.

That's what I know works for that old thrash sound.

I'm using a Boss DS-1 on my Laney LC15R and is working really great too. I have my gain between 7 and 8 (10 being max) and I play with my guitars volume pot. I can go from nice cleans (not stellar though) through heavy/trash engaging the Boss pedal.

The best advice I can give you is to try different pedals before you buy. On tubes I do believe it's all good if you buy some different ones so you can experiment with them, those may save your gig sometime too .

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Quote by Perverockstar69
Speakers: Ted Weber Gray Wolf, Celestion's V30, GK10 or G12T75.
Overdrives: Digitech Bad Monkey, Joyo Vintage Overdrive, Ibanez Tubescreamer, etc... (try them in a store first).
Tubes: JJ's (like Cathbard said), Sed Winged C.

That's what I know works for that old thrash sound.

I'm using a Boss DS-1 on my Laney LC15R and is working really great too. I have my gain between 7 and 8 (10 being max) and I play with my guitars volume pot. I can go from nice cleans (not stellar though) through heavy/trash engaging the Boss pedal.

The best advice I can give you is to try different pedals before you buy. On tubes I do believe it's all good if you buy some different ones so you can experiment with them, those may save your gig sometime too .

My area isn't blessed with good guitar gear the only pedal that are in my store near by or the super overdrive by boss and the DS-1
I owned a Bad Monkey until I got the 8 knob AOR... Worst case scenario order it online (ebay could work, find one for ~$30 or less) You shouldn't be disappointed unless you want it to BE your distortion sound. Some of the clean boosts I've tried produced a flubbiness that I could never dial out or understand. Your mileage may vary though...

If you do consider a speaker, you would definitely benefit from having more power handling. That's why I'd recommend either something like the Eminence Tonker or this.

A 212 might take some saving, but should give you more options as far as speakers go. You might blow out a 100W speaker if you end up playing too loud through that cab.
Maximum volume yields maximum goats.
in addition to what i saidd in the laney thread, a new speaker cab would probabaly be the thing

that harley benton 2x12 with v30s is just over £150 on thomann. might be worth considering. Haven't tried it, but heard good things (certainly for the price).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the help i've noted everything and going to try them all

1X12 seems ok construction but i will change the speaker.

Aswell as get the gear or anything close to what mic suggests and everyone else that pitched a suggestion.
I don't know if V30s are what I'd go for. EV's if you could afford it. Either that or something greenback like - but big of course. Maybe Celestion G12K100
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by itsonlyauser
Do i need an overdrive if i need something as a boast why not a line boaster like the Carbon copy something more neutral as an overdrive

The Carbon Copy is a delay pedal. It is a nice delay pedal. I have one. It is no boost pedal. But yes, a boost pedal would work too.

Like an EHX LPB-1 Nano line booster
Quote by itsonlyauser
My area isn't blessed with good guitar gear the only pedal that are in my store near by or the super overdrive by boss and the DS-1

Try the DS-1 and see if it rings your bell, if not just keep moving. You can always buy online, it's not the same but you can make it work.

Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
The Carbon Copy is a delay pedal. It is a nice delay pedal. I have one. It is no boost pedal. But yes, a boost pedal would work too.

Like an EHX LPB-1 Nano line booster

Same as me, I love that delay!

Boost pedal? Like Catalinbread's Chili Picoso maybe? Catalinbread makes really nice pedals, you can't go wrong.

Mesa Royal Atlantic
Emperor 4x12 Silver Bells
PRS Swamp Ash Limited Custom 24
EQD Acapulco Gold
MXR Carbon Copy
EHX Epitome
EHX Superego
Fuzz Hugger Algal Bloom
Way Huge Fat Sandwich
Last edited by Perverockstar69 at Mar 9, 2012,