I have been trying to practice my finger picking and have run into the problem of having sausage fingers and found i can pick super faster and more accurately with just my thumb other than when i pluck two strings at once, is this a problem as far as making it harder to play in the long run?
ESP LTD EC-1000 vintage black
sunburst fender MIM tele
Epiphone LP standard ebony
Mesa/boogie dual rectifier
Mesa/Boogie .50 caliber plus head
Marshall JCM900 Hi-gain MII 2500
Fender Hot rod Deluxe
Depends on your ambitions - do you want to be able to pluck out simple blues solos or do you want to actually be able to do any fingerpicked music (ie apreggios, chord-melody playing, classical, flamenco, comping with chords)?

In fact, in either case you'd be better using proper technique.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 7, 2012,
I think if you're learning it's always best to start learning with proper technique. It just makes guitar playing easier in the long run.
If you are just using the thumb, you are not "fingerpicking". Essentially, you're using your thumb as a flatpick. Nothing wrong with that; there are a lot of folks who have gone pretty far in the music business doing nothing more.
Still, if you want to actually learn to play fingerstyle, and you have big, meaty fingers, you might consider a different guitar.
Various acoustics come with extra-wide necks, or you could just buy a classical guitar. This will give you a bit more room to maneuver.
Quote by Bikewer
Nothing wrong with that; there are a lot of folks who have gone pretty far in the music business doing nothing more.

True, Wes Montgomery and (I think) Jeff Beck sound amazing just using the thumb, it could be another weapon in your sonic arsenal. However dont give up and blame your hands, a bit of patience, proper practice and if need be different gear should have you fingerpicking despite your genetics.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do