i know that blues is a pretty grey area but i must inquire about one thing. okay.. so lets say i am playing in the key of Am using the pentatonic scale (from the 5th fret root on the E string). if i move up three frets to the #F i am playing the A major scale from a different position (relative to F# minor pentatonic). with that being said... i should be able to use an extention on both scales and put them together? my only issue is the C#, B, and G# in the relative scale. those being 2nd, 3rd, and 7th degrees. would those just be used as passing tones or am i just way off?
Moving up three frets from A on the E isn't an F#, it's a C, unless I am misunderstanding.
Quote by kevinSerdynski
i know that blues is a pretty grey area but i must inquire about one thing. okay.. so lets say i am playing in the key of Am using the pentatonic scale (from the 5th fret root on the E string).

You are on the 5h Fret which is an A note. This is the root of your pentatonic scale.

if i move up three frets to the #F i am playing the A major scale from a different position (relative to F# minor pentatonic). with that being said...

If you move up 3 frets you are hitting a C note. C is still in A minor Pentatonic.

i should be able to use an extention on both scales and put them together? my only issue is the C#, B, and G# in the relative scale. those being 2nd, 3rd, and 7th degrees. would those just be used as passing tones or am i just way off?

If you want to combine A major and A minor Pentatonic, you need to learn your notes on the fretboard better. You are not using relative scales though, its parrallel scales. C Major / A minor are relative. C Major / C minor are parrallel.

If you are playing A minor and hit F#, C#, or G#; They are passing tones. I wouldn't really recommend emphasizing them because they'll clash with a typical chord progression.
Gibson Les Paul Custom (Aged White)
Custom Kramer Baretta
Custom Fender Strat
Epiphone Black Beauty
Epiphone AJ
Marshall JCM900 4201
Blackheart Little Giant
MXR Dist. +
MXR Six Band EQ
MXR Phase 90
I really dont follow the question. I assume by moving three frets up you mean three frets down. You sound like you dont have a good grasp of scales/basic theory - remember that a scale is a selection of notes out of the 12 notes available, and can be played on the guitar in any way you want so dont get stuck too much in thinking of scales as 'shapes' on the fretbaord. Perhaps it would help you visualise the notes if you got some full fretboard diagrams which showed all the notes of whatever scale (GuitarPro can show you scales like this).
You may find this to be an enlightening read.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Mar 7, 2012,
whoops! sorry, my useage of the word "up" is clearly off. by up i do mean three frets down sorry. 2nd fret on the e string sorry.
Quote by Hydra150
I really dont follow the question. I assume by moving three frets up you mean three frets down. You sound like you dont have a good grasp of scales/basic theory - remember that a scale is a selection of notes out of the 12 notes available, and can be played on the guitar in any way you want so dont get stuck too much in thinking of scales as 'shapes' on the fretbaord. Perhaps it would help you visualise the notes if you got some full fretboard diagrams which showed all the notes of whatever scale (GuitarPro can show you scales like this).
You may find this to be an enlightening read.

wow thank you for linking me to your theory lessons! in the first few lessons cleared up a few missunderstandings, then they began to blow my mind. im not anywhere near done but, i felt the need to thank you for what ive already read, and for what im going to read.
if you want to shed a bit more light on things then this video series is well worth taking the time to watch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnbOWi6f_IM
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by kevinSerdynski
wow thank you for linking me to your theory lessons! in the first few lessons cleared up a few missunderstandings, then they began to blow my mind. im not anywhere near done but, i felt the need to thank you for what ive already read, and for what im going to read.

You're very welcome, glad you're making progress (although I should clarify that I didnt write those lessons, the're by a guy called Josh Urban).

Quote by steven seagull
this video series is well worth taking the time to watch.

+1
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do