Hey guys, I have a Peavey 6505 plus Head with a 5150 cab, and i am thinking about investing in a Mesa cabinet. My sound isnt bad by any means, but i feel like a mesa would make it sound a lot bigger and more powerful. the style of music I am interested in is basically low tuned bands. like in A, G# or G for the most part. I mostly play a schecter hellraiser C7 tuned to Drop A, but sometimes go down a bit. my band plays stuff more or less like the Contortionist. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nov3l4lgShM and that is basically the kind of sound I am trying to achieve. would it be wise to spend 500 or 600 dollars on a used mesa cab? ive seen them about as low as that before. any opinions are appreciated!
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Line 6 Spider III 30 Watt (practice amp)
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
Schecter Hellraiser C-1 FR
Boss NS-2 noise suppressor
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
The Mesa cab is a way better cab than the 5150 one, so yes, worth the money if you have it to spend. Should be able to get at least half of the cost of the Mesa cab back, if not more, by selling your cab.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
oh yeah thats what i was thinking. i got my cab and head for like 800 bucks so i should be able to get maybe 300 or 400 out of the cabinet. if i find the right deal on a mesa then ultimately i would only spend something like 2 or 300. also what about marshalls? a friend suggested them to me but i really dunno about them
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
Depends on the Marshall. A 1960AV or 1960BV (the ones with V30's) would do you well but it won't sound as big as a Mesa cab.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
thats kind of what i thought. i'll just go with the mesa. that seems to be the popular opinion I'm getting from people on facebook and here and other sources haha
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
i like Orange cabs better than mesa IMO. the differences are arguably small differences being that they both use Baltic Birch and Celestion Vintage 30's. both are higher quality, bit an orange being a little punchier and clearer. that is just me though. try one if you can. however the rec cab will sound great.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
invest in speakers...
I wouldn't buy V30s for a 6505+...
I prefer Greenbacks and G12t75s...
6505+ is a very edgy amp with sharp high mids...
If you get V30 they will make the amp trebly...
Sharp amp+sharp pickup you need mellower speakers!!!!
Anyway,I know that 6505+ V30 is a common option but if you take your head and test it with 3 different cabs(V30-g12T75-Greenback) I think you will not get the V30...
I did the same with 3 marshall 1960's...
I got the greenback one and I would do it again and again...
Quote by blackie13
invest in speakers

This.
Mesa > 5150 cab

Mesa = Orange

Mesa > V30 Marshall

for Contortionist Djentyness and metal in general you want Mesa or Orange with your price range
Tom Anderson Guitarworks

Mayones Guitars

Suhr Guitars

Mesa Boogie

Friedman Amplification

Fractal Audio Systems

Quote by Bladed-Vaults
*Bane voice* ahhh yes. The br00tz, I was born with it. Molded by it. I didnt know of the light until I was already a man.
This is for Metal? Dude, go with Vader. They're fairly cheap and give you MONSTOROUS metal tones.

www.vadercabinets.com

Even the 2x12 is a beast, and if i'm not mistaking, they're all under $600-$700
Could be wrong though, price might've spiked recently. Can't check website at work

EDIT: Get the 2x15 for them lower tunings. 700 watts! Tight as ****.
Last edited by bdof at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by blackie13
invest in speakers...
Anyway,I know that 6505+ V30 is a common option but if you take your head and test it with 3 different cabs(V30-g12T75-Greenback) I think you will not get the V30...

V30s + 5150 is best combo I've used so far, though Splawn Small Blocks work nicely (more aggressive Greenback). Dislike G12T-75s with the 5150 series, really the only amps I've had that worked well with those speakers are Marshall amps

Don't invest in speakers for that cab, the Mesa is built out of better wood, is of better quality and construction and has a much higher resale value.
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
I do like vaders, the only problem is finding one. its like 700 to begin with, plus all the shipping fees. i havent checked on craigslist recently, but from what i remember i dont think i could find a vader anywhere. i'll look again though! and i would pretty much only go for a 4x12. a 2x12 just isnt enough for me. even if it does seem loud, the presence of a 4x12 is just far more than a 2x12. i would really have to crank up my volume to keep up with all the other amps in my band, AND my drummer is a freak when it comes to how hard he hits. he will break at least 2 sticks every time we play a 6 song set... i think there has been only one time he only broke one lol. but so far it looks more like a mesa is the choice unlesss i can find a vader. orange is too expensive, mesa i can get right about for what i want to spend and i like the way they sound with my amp. worst case is that i can dial back the treble or presence knob on my head if its too edgy sounding.
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
and yeah i just looked again. i couldnt find a vader anywhere near me. after shipping, a vader is about 900 dollars. i would be much happier spending 500 or maybe 600 haha
Peavey 6505+ head
Mesa 4x12 Rectifier Cab
Schecter Hellraiser C-7
MXR 10 Band EQ KFK
Boss DD-7 Delay
Stock peavey speakers are HORRID. I suppose the cabs are alright, but those sheffield and blue marvel are a waste of your money?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by MatrixClaw

V30s + 5150 is best combo I've used so far, though Splawn Small Blocks work nicely (more aggressive Greenback). Dislike G12T-75s with the 5150 series, really the only amps I've had that worked well with those speakers are Marshall amps

Don't invest in speakers for that cab, the Mesa is built out of better wood, is of better quality and construction and has a much higher resale value.

Both of them are made of Birch plywood...
Why is the mesa better??????
Better trees??matter of forest???
You like V30's with 5150 amps???
Fine...
Depends on what you're playing...if you like more and scooped comressed stuff then ok...it might work well...
If you are looking for a great sound with every setting,with every pickup(5150 is very picky with pickups,try a single coil or high output HB can play GREAT with everything) I think you should give GB's a chance...
Last edited by blackie13 at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by blackie13
Both of them are made of Birch plywood...
Why is the mesa better??????
Better trees??matter of forest???
You like V30's with 5150 amps???
Fine...
Depends on what you're playing...if you like more and scooped comressed stuff then ok...it might work well...
If you are looking for a great sound with every setting,with every pickup(5150 is very picky with pickups,try a single coil or high output HB can play GREAT with everything) I think you should give GB's a chance...

Ummm... No its not. The 5150/6505 cab is made out of MDF/particle board. Some have a birch baffle board, but that's hardly the same as being fully made out of it...

Your statement about V30s being good for scooped mids makes absolutely no sense. V30s have a significant mid hump, its G12T-75s that are scooped... The 5150 is also one of the least picky amps I've ever owned when it comes to guitars and pickups
Quote by Dave_Mc
Quote by jj1565

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by blackie13
invest in speakers...

FAIL.

5150's are a lower mid heavy amp. They arent edgy sounding at all, there actually dark as hell. A 5150 has more mids with the knob at 0 than most other amps at 10.
Quote by GS LEAD 5
FAIL.

5150's are a lower mid heavy amp. They arent edgy sounding at all, there actually dark as hell. A 5150 has more mids with the knob at 0 than most other amps at 10.

Ι don't find it that dark...especialy the "plus" model...
not as bright as a marshall but brighter than krank imho...
My 6505+ with GBs is exremely picky...I use the same settings and with different pickups (singles,hums)I can cover many sound variations...
the pickups i USUALLY USE ARE SD 59,SD tb-5,EMG 81,Dimarzio Areas,SD SSL-4,SSL-5...
The fact than I tune in D# or standard without any boost might be a part of the "bright" sound...

I thought that 5150/6505 was made of birch...pretty pricey for particle board...
My bad then...

Before the GB's I had the g12t75 and V30's in an X pattern...
The sound was something like an sharper greenback with more bass and just a bit tighter...
Quote by MatrixClaw
Ummm... No its not. The 5150/6505 cab is made out of MDF/particle board. Some have a birch baffle board, but that's hardly the same as being fully made out of it...

Your statement about V30s being good for scooped mids makes absolutely no sense. V30s have a significant mid hump, its G12T-75s that are scooped... The 5150 is also one of the least picky amps I've ever owned when it comes to guitars and pickups

With my orange V30 2x12 I could not dial the mids over 2,5...mid honk...but there was always missing something with the mids that low...I used the X pattern (t75-V30) in a 4x12 but nothing beats greenbacks...
If u can dial a great sound with something else,it's fine!
Quote by blackie13
Ι don't find it that dark...especialy the "plus" model...
not as bright as a marshall but brighter than krank imho...
My 6505+ with GBs is exremely picky...I use the same settings and with different pickups (singles,hums)I can cover many sound variations...
the pickups i USUALLY USE ARE SD 59,SD tb-5,EMG 81,Dimarzio Areas,SD SSL-4,SSL-5...
The fact than I tune in D# or standard without any boost might be a part of the "bright" sound...

I thought that 5150/6505 was made of birch...pretty pricey for particle board...
My bad then...

Before the GB's I had the g12t75 and V30's in an X pattern...
The sound was something like an sharper greenback with more bass and just a bit tighter...

Eh? Kranks are dark? o.O all the kranks I have heard are quite bright.
What settings you use?
Quote by seankir92
the style of music I am interested in is basically low tuned bands. like in A, G# or G for the most part. I mostly play a schecter hellraiser C7 tuned to Drop A, but sometimes go down a bit.

personally, i'd aim for an oversized, closed back cab that uses a thicker ply of baltic birch (most cabs tend to run a thicker ply of baltic birch anyway). because of your preference toward low end i may run some sound absorbing material inside the cab and i would run speaker with a larger magnet, stiffer cone, and high power handling (i really like G12K-100's for this purpose, but an EVM-12L may fit the bill, there are other speaker out there though).

the 'oversized' cab should lower the resonance freq of the speakers a bit (making it a bit more efficient at making low freqs), the characteristics of the speaker i mention will help you low end sound tight and help keep from muddying up too much. you may want to mix something like G12K's with V30's if you want a bit more harmonic content to help you stand out in the mix.

i don't get overly wrapped up with name brands with cabs, i would look for any cab with those characteristics though.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Mar 9, 2012,
The Kranks I played around with sounded more 'open' then overly bright. I mean it was a bright amp, but more so bright like JCM2000, not like XXX?
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."