I'm on me FB and I see this:

"Music is probably the stupidest class any college student has to take!"

No big deal I know some people that didn't enjoy there music classes but then the person reiterated with this.

"Hahaha, no offense ... but I really don't care about the composers, melodies, and other useless information about songs I've never even heard of. I mean, if you like it ... more power to ya pahaha."

Is this really what the common man with no musical knowledge thinks?

This thought just blows my mind, but not as a musician, more so as a person. I would think a person even with no musical knowledge would have some kind of sense about melody or composers. I get that the content of the class might be Jazz or Classical music, but shouldn't the same ideas apply to the music a person like this might like?

I don't know what to think about something like this. Any opinions.
Why would a casual music fan bother with any of that shit? They don't care about chord progressions, song structures, and how different notes harmonize. They only care about primarily what the music sounds like closely followed by the social image they present by associating their musical tastes with a given genre or artist.
Spoiler: not everyone is obsessed with music
Quote by lolmnt
We're better than Mexico cuz we rule USA USA USA
Wait, music courses are mandatory at the college level in the states? wat?
If there's utlity to be made on music and it's easily marketed; that's what music will be promoted to the massses. I hated general music classes because of shitty teachers and it was music history rather than why such music should be listened to instead of Coldplay for example.
Quote by Jako215
I get that but even at some point don't you think the casual fan would think of something like, "hmm, I like the melody of this song"

Yes, but why would that spur them in some grand quest for knowledge in music theory to determine what exactly makes a melody work and how it relates to the underlying chord progression?

People don't do that shit.

Quote by zdh
Wait, music courses are mandatory at the college level in the states? wat?

It probably depends on the school. At my college I don't think music courses themselves are required, but they can fulfill certain general education requirements.

EditV:
Quote by bendystraw
No other organism has such an appreciation for the atheistic principles of sound like we do

I lol'd.
Last edited by RU Experienced? at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by DimebagLivesOn

I don't think it takes an obsession to be familiar with one of man's greatest social capabilities. No other organism has such an appreciation for the atheistic principles of sound like we do, and we experience music every day of our lives. Seems like willful ignorance to not seek out at least basic knowledge of its structure.
I wouldn't even take it that far RU. My thought is that the Casual listener will be like "Hey, I like this song. The melody is good." Then that's as far as that thought goes. What I got from what I posted is that, that thought doesn't even register to the casual listener. Their listening is so passive that it doesn't even strike up emotion or thought.
Everyone knows musicians are a superior race.
You are now using UG Black.
You are now using UG Classic.

Listening to: New York Voices, as well as the new Vulfpeck record (fuck it's so good)

You throw like a girl. A girl who is great at baseball and has a fiery passion for the sport.
If their 'reiteration' was to you, I suggest you are better off not biting their bait and responding to statuses like that - yes, some people are ignorant and it's frustrating to see how backwards a lot of humanity has become, but you have equally less business trying to tell someone their opinion is wrong.

Apologies if they directly wrote on your wall/sent you a message to start the thing off though - just take solace in the fact that you can at least appreciate creativity, while they struggle to contemplate the relative complexity of dressing themselves on the days they aren't borrowing the family brain cell.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
A lot of people see it that way, probably.
In my eyes, the arts just as valid an area of study as science or mathematics. We need culture too
Last edited by TV-Casualty at Mar 7, 2012,
Quote by bendystraw
I don't think it takes an obsession to be familiar with one of man's greatest social capabilities. No other organism has such an appreciation for the atheistic principles of sound like we do, and we experience music every day of our lives. Seems like willful ignorance to not seek out at least basic knowledge of its structure.

People who aren't really into it are probably not around it every day, though. You can pretty much choose to partake in it or not. I'm sure there are some things that you and I don't really know much about that people consider "essential".
Quote by lolmnt
No it wasn't directly to me and I did not comment on what was said. It did really make me stop and think though.

Wolfinator wins the thread. Acknowledging our superiority as musicians was enough to make me chuckle and think Fn right.
Same reason some people aren't bothered about archaeology or some other subject. It doesn't interest them specifically so why would they want to study it?
West Ham United
A lot of people see music as just "That catchy song I heard on the radio" and nothing more.

None of the theory, rhythm, melody and harmony crap some of us are so immersed into.
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Music is probably the stupidest college/university course.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by Todd Hart

inb4 shitstorm
West Ham United
Quote by Todd Hart

I dunno, bro. Art history is pretty stupid.
Quote by DimebagLivesOn

I have to rEmind myself of this all the time...
WARNING:
The above is most likely sarcasm, so fuck yourself if you're offended.
Quote by shavorules42
Hey look! An intelligent post!
Quote by WCPhils
One time I saw a religious person eating so I don't do that anymore.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
Save water. Drink alcohol.
Quote by LZRocker
I have to rEmind myself of this all the time...

What exactly is wrong with that fact?
Quote by lolmnt
I don't have anything to add to the thread, but have you taken any music classes at BCCC Jako? Are the teachers any good?

EDIT: Actually I guess it doesn't matter since I won't be there next semester. :/
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Last edited by WCPhils at Mar 7, 2012,
Everyone is different and has their own opinions on it. I personally wasn't too fond of music classes in school, but knowing at least a little about it I think is worth it. Not everyone likes the same things as we all do. Have to accept that.
■■■
'member The Pit of 10'? oH, I 'member!

╚═ ▼▲▼▲▼═╝
Quote by WCPhils
I don't have anything to add to the thread, but have you taken any music classes at BCCC Jako? Are the teachers any good?

EDIT: Actually I guess it doesn't matter since I won't be there next semester. :/

I don't know about the music teachers but if you do ever go to BCCC and take any audio production classes, take John Sheridan. He is the man.

Now that I think about it, I think Sheridan teaches ear training and music theory. I know he gives guitar lessons too.
Last edited by Jako215 at Mar 8, 2012,
i've said the same thing about literature classes as well. and i don't really hate reading, i just didn't understand what the big fuss over some of those boring-ass classics was. whenever they turn something into a class, someone down the line is going to make it tedious and boring for everyone else.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by Tessalate
A lot of people see music as just "That catchy song I heard on the radio" and nothing more.

None of the theory, rhythm, melody and harmony crap some of us are so immersed into.

I play guitar and I don't even know or care much about that stuff. I guess that's just because I mostly play and write hardcore punk where there isn't much of a melody, harmonies or anything other than just a straight, fast rhythm. I can totally understand where these people are coming from. I'm never going to personally use chemistry and I've never been curious about how it works so I'm not going to go out of my way to learn it even though I can enjoy the results of other people understanding and applying chemistry. Some people just like the way music sounds and are content with letting others understand it and apply that knowledge for them to enjoy.
Quote by fuzzpedal
I play guitar and I don't even know or care much about that stuff. I guess that's just because I mostly play and write hardcore punk where there isn't much of a melody, harmonies or anything other than just a straight, fast rhythm. I can totally understand where these people are coming from. I'm never going to personally use chemistry and I've never been curious about how it works so I'm not going to go out of my way to learn it even though I can enjoy the results of other people understanding and applying chemistry. Some people just like the way music sounds and are content with letting others understand it and apply that knowledge for them to enjoy.

Nice to know there's people like you out there.
I can't count how many people go like

"pop sucks (insert style of music) is the best."
or
"4/4??? Wtf is this shit"
Hugging Thread; I'm here to help

Oh you wouldn’t want an angel watching over
Surprise, surprise they wouldn’t wannna watch
Another uninnocent, elegant fall
Into the unmagnificent lives of adults

It's Tessa, not Tesse please.
Somebody who types 'pahahaha' doesn't surprise me that they don't appreciate music class/history.