I have about $300 burning a hole in my metaphorical pocket just aching to be spent on some new gear. I'm looking for some advice on what to spend it on. Here's some background that might help:

- I'm a relatively new guitarist, only played for about a year and a half.
- Really only play metal, specifically into melodic metalcore stuff.
- Have a decent little amp already (Blackstar HT-5R), so I'm pretty satisfied there as it meets my (relatively particular) needs.
- Own two guitars, not really looking for another at this point. Pickups may be an option though.
- Only have one pedal (a Boss MD-2) that I really don't care for, so I'm leaning this direction.

I'm thinking pedals/effects might be my best "next step." I've sort of been considering a multi-effects unit of some sort. I like the idea of the Line 6 Pod HD300 or maybe the Vox Tonelab EX (or the cheaper ST) and have done a fair bit of research on them. Would definitely be open to suggestions on standalone pedals/effects that would help me get a good Killswitch sort of tone. I did try a Maxon OD808 (which is what a lot of the bands I listen to use) for a while, but it didn't really give me what I was looking for with my amp at least.

So, anyhow, I'm just looking for any other suggestions. "Save up for something else" is also a very acceptable answer if there's a more expensive, better piece of equipment I should go after.

Thanks in advance!
pod hd300 is your best bet in your budget but if you can save up get the hd500/6505 head
i wouldnt reccomend using the od808 with ht5 it costs like half of the ht5 you can get 808's clone from guitarfetish
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by darkwolf291
Hookers and blow.
ALWAYS a good way to spend money.

you beat me to it.
Quote by element4433
One time I watched a dog lick his own dick for twenty minutes.

Quote by Roc8995
No.

Well, technically it could be done, but only in the same way that you could change a cat into a hamburger. It's an unpleasant process, and nobody is happy with the result.
Quote by deepsal
pod hd300 is your best bet in your budget but if you can save up get the hd500/6505 head
i wouldnt reccomend using the od808 with ht5 it costs like half of the ht5 you can get 808's clone from guitarfetish

Is the main advantage of the HD500 the 48 second looper and more effects? I had looked at it, but figured it might be a bit overwhelming for a relative n00b like me . I would love to get a 6505 or 5150, but it's not practical for me. I actually do most of my playing with headphones, and those amps would probably blow out my windows (not to mention causing my wife to divorce me).

Hookers and blow is also a good suggestion. I'll take that under advisement .
i use my 6505 at tv volumes
and no there's more to hd500 than extra effects,it has better i/o converters,you can use 2 amps at the same time bla bla bla the biggest disadvantage of hd300 is that you cant bypass the shitty inbuilt cab ir's
Gear:
Peavey 6505 120W Head
Ibanez Rga32 (FOR SALE)
Laney Lv412a Cab(FOR SALE)
Soon To Get::
Boss DD20
Morley Bad Horsie II
Quote by deepsal
i use my 6505 at tv volumes
and no there's more to hd500 than extra effects,it has better i/o converters,you can use 2 amps at the same time bla bla bla the biggest disadvantage of hd300 is that you cant bypass the shitty inbuilt cab ir's

That's good to know about the lack of two amp functionality. A lot of what I've read said that you need to use dual amps to get the best tone and I just assumed that was a common festure on the HDs.

You're making me reconsider the amp too though .
Wait till the g5 comes out. It'll be better than the hd300 and it's cheaper too.
Guitars: Fender FSR Standard Strat, Squire Affinity Strat, Epiphone Nighthawk
Amps: Vox AC15C1, Roland Cube 15x, Peavey KB-1
Pedals: Digitech RP355, HD500, Joyo AC-Tone, EHX Soul Food
You don't need to use dual amps to make it sound good, you just have more options to tweak your sound. Turning the speaker emulation off is a must if you ever plan on playing through an amp and cab. I'd at least go with the -400. The -500 also gives you an internal loop IIRC... I don't use it, but I know it's there. Just not sure if the -400 has it or not. You can go on the line 6 site and compare features between all the models.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Quote by kutless999
Wait till the g5 comes out. It'll be better than the hd300 and it's cheaper too.

I guess you are talking about the Zoom G5? I'd never heard of it, but it looks pretty sweet in the article I just found. May release date apparently. I'll have to do some more research into it, but thanks for the tip.
Quote by jpatan
You don't need to use dual amps to make it sound good, you just have more options to tweak your sound. Turning the speaker emulation off is a must if you ever plan on playing through an amp and cab. I'd at least go with the -400. The -500 also gives you an internal loop IIRC... I don't use it, but I know it's there. Just not sure if the -400 has it or not. You can go on the line 6 site and compare features between all the models.

Thanks. I'd checked out their site, but I didn't remember seeing anything on the dual amps specifically.
You don't need to use dual amps to make it sound good, you just have more options to tweak your sound.
Can anyone verify whether the Zoom G5 will sound pretty much like the Zoom G3? It sounds like the guts of the two units are largely the same. The only thing that I hesitate on about them is that they don't seem to have a lot of "high gain" amp models.
Quote by jarodmerle
Can anyone verify whether the Zoom G5 will sound pretty much like the Zoom G3? It sounds like the guts of the two units are largely the same. The only thing that I hesitate on about them is that they don't seem to have a lot of "high gain" amp models.

The g5 will sound just as good and will probably have at least 2-3 more high gain amps and the high gain amps it already has are very good.
Quote by kutless999
The g5 will sound just as good and will probably have at least 2-3 more high gain amps and the high gain amps it already has are very good.

Sweet. Just need to find some more good metal demos of the G3. Doesn't appear to be a ton on YT.
Quote by jarodmerle
Sweet. Just need to find some more good metal demos of the G3. Doesn't appear to be a ton on YT.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=txjE8hFMor8

Best g3 metal vid on YT.
Any other suggestions out there? More new upcoming products I should consider? More votes for prostitutes and drugs/alcohol?
booze, or a wicked nice handmade pedal
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Save it until you know what you really want (probably a nice amp or a nice guitar, once you grow out of what you have) - then you'll have $300 to put towards that.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Save it until you know what you really want (probably a nice amp or a nice guitar, once you grow out of what you have) - then you'll have $300 to put towards that.

That's a fair suggestion. I am considering getting an acoustic, so I may go that direction too.