Im looking to put thicker gauge strings on my ESP EC-401. I got D' Addario 11-56 to put on. My question is does the guitar have to be setup to use these or can I just put them on? My local shop said I can and shouldn't run into any issues but I just wanna ask around.
if you are incapable of researching or doing simple tasks than yes, you can do it.

if you can listen to and see directions on youtube or even just in text, you will be fine.

i am thinking you can do it yourself.

most likely you will have to change bridge height, maybe a small truss rod adjustment, and intonation.

every time i have changed gauge i am glad that i spent the 10 minutes to set it up.

it really does make a difference or i wouldn't bother to post this.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Last edited by trashedlostfdup at Mar 7, 2012,
I've played 13-56 sets pretty frequently, and have been told that I don't need to adjust my setup, nor did I ever feel like I needed to, so you should be fine.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Quote by Bluesblitz
I've played 13-56 sets pretty frequently, and have been told that I don't need to adjust my setup, nor did I ever feel like I needed to, so you should be fine.

what other gauge do you use? if you are saying you switched from a lighter guage to 13's on a strat you would at least need to put new heavy springs on the trem, unless you have blocked the trem.

i set it up for drop tuning every time i drop tune a guitar as well as re set up when it would go to std tuning.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I did it for myself from like day one. It seems weird at first, but you get good at it pretty damned fast.

Next thing you know, you realise how much work you are actually being charged for at your local shop. Unless I got a new guitar set up for E and I wanted Bb, and locking trems are annoying, THEN I would get them to set it up
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
Quote by trashedlostfdup
what other gauge do you use? if you are saying you switched from a lighter guage to 13's on a strat you would at least need to put new heavy springs on the trem, unless you have blocked the trem.

i set it up for drop tuning every time i drop tune a guitar as well as re set up when it would go to std tuning.

Lol, that isn't a problem, I'm a tele user. I do recall that it's always best to keep lighter gauged strings in standard, otherwise you get bad intonation if you try to go any lower.
Fender American Standard Telecaster
Vox Night Train 15W
An ever-morphing BOSS and MXR loaded pedalboard

"I eats more chicken any man ever seen!"
-Howlin' Wolf
Really you most likely won't have to do much other than intonaton. You might have to do a slight truss rod adjustment and set the string height but it will be very minor.
Gear
Guitars-
Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
Paul Reed Smith Mike Mushok Baritone
Squire Bullet
Carlos Acoustic
Epiphone Banjo
Amps-
Mesa Boogie DC-5
B-52 LS-100 and Matching cab
and tons of miscellaneous stuff
Just put them on and check your truss-rod and intonation.
Current gear:
Carvin CT6M
TC Electronics Dark Matter distortion
Harley Benton 2x12, with Celestion V30s
Laney Ironheart 60w tube amp
Quote by trashedlostfdup

I didnt have to add extra springs on my MH when I put 12s on it from 9s. Only had to adjust spring tension.