Just to be perfectly clear, this is not a perfect shootout, but I think it's valid enough.

First, the flaws in the method:
-the two samples were recorded about two years apart in two different rooms - one sonically very poor, and the other sonically fairly neutral.

That said, the two vocal takes were done using the same singer and the same preamps (Steinberg MR816X). I dialed in the cardiod pattern on the K2, as the NT1 was also a cardiod mic. Since I sing up reasonably close to the mic, there is no significant room sound in either recording.

Both samples are 16-bit wavs at 44.1 khz and are both 5MB and 31 sec. The exact same part of the recording was used.

There is NO processing and NO EQ on either track, and they were adjusted to be of similar volume. (the NT1 track was edited so that it wouldn't require any significant dynamics processing, so you will hear some differences in some phrases, and that's why.)

www.greenroomrecording.ca/NT1vocalsample.wav
www.greenroomrecording.ca/K2vocalsample.wav

The Rode NT1 is an original issue from about ten years ago, when they were still made in Australia. It is NOT an NT1A and it is not made in China.

To my ears, they're competitive, but the K2 is significantly better in subtle ways.

Sibilance is more noticeable in the NT1.

The K2 sounds more 3-dimensional, whereas the NT1 sounds more... well.... 2-dimensional.

The NT1 is measurably brighter, (which may be desirable for some singers or in some mixes, etc.) but tends to get a bit crispy at louder volumes and higher frequencies.

The K2 has a more even, or smooth, full-bodied sound. It sounds more robust.

In the mix, the K2, even without the editing, required less dynamics processing and no EQ in order for it to behave in the mix. It just fit. That in itself may be the biggest plus.

The version of this song (fully mixed) in my profile is the one with the NT1. I'll be replacing it soon with the K2 mix.

This may not be of any real value in and of itself as a comparison between two specific mics, but I think it is quite useful for illustrating the difference between a good, solid entry-level mic and one that is often compared to a U87.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Finally sold my Axe-FX, so I'm looking into buying a new vocal mic finally...

Still debating what I want to get, though

K2 is at the top of my list right now, however! You can get them for like $400, which is enough to have a good bit of money left over, which can go towards my new interface.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I got mine used a couple of weeks ago for $500. So, yeah.... ballpark.

Hopefully you found the clips helpful.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.