Okay so what's up with all the inaccurate tabs in UG+? I've tried about 10 tabs and all have been OBIVOUS bullshit. I pay for it but not for long since it's damn shit. Check out frank gambale - 6.8 shaker or tony macalpine - kings cup or sth, so flawed it's not even funny.
That's not why people use tabs it's for practicing visualization patterns and mental play. What makes you think I don't play by ear? How do you think I can notice that the tabs are rubbish?
Probably because UG them selves don't make the tabs, they're user submitted, even on a legal level UG couldn't make you pay for tabs that THEY made.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
What I dont understand is this. This is a site where humans that are capable of making errors submit tabs of songs the way they hear it and do so for free. No one forces them to do this but they do so out of their time and generosity. The tabs may not always be 100% accurate or may not even be 10% accurate but at least they try to help others by at least providing a starting point to a song that others may not have a clue to playing at all.... I believe that the main people who use this site are people who need a little direction. Guitarists that know there stuff don't need to come hear as they can do the songs themselves.... So in my opinion when someone complains about a song not being accurate then to me what I fail to understand is where is YOUR version of the song with the right chords, etc. ... I mean if you say that the tab is not accurate then you must know what is wrong so post the tab corrected.... And start giving back to the guitar players that could benefit from your expertise.
Lastly, if a person knows how to play the song then why would you even look at the tabs here on this site... That I definitely do not understand.... It's as if the only reason you look at tabs is to berate the person doing them to show your superiority.....
This in no way is a bash to the person starting this thread... Mainly it is to everyone that has posted similar threads .....

If the person coming here admitted that they can not do the song without sheet music and actually paid for every song they needed and were given an inaccurate tab then I could see there complaint as they are not getting what they paid for... But this site is free to use and so you accept the good with the bad... And if you do not like a tab then rate it and leave a comment and a correction...

if you want the most accurate tab then either go BUY the sheet music or book of that artist
Or pay someone that can do it exactly the way it should be done.... If it is for FREE then just be grateful someone out there took the time to try and help out...
Last edited by DON CZARSKI at Mar 9, 2012,
While I understand that tabs listed on most tab sites are from users submitting their thoughts of how the song goes, and for free, I do wonder sometimes what the process is for acceptance of submitted tabs.

I really enjoy learning songs to the best of my ability by ear. I have a couple friends who play guitar and from time to time they give me a call asking if I can help with the chords to a particular song. They'll say they found it on a tab site, but the chords just don't seem right. Quite often there is a chord here or there that is listed incorrectly, which is fine - like someone stated above - it was free, a good starting point, and created by a human to the best of their ability - but it leaves me wondering....Do tab site owners typically check the tabs submitted for errors? Or do they just accept 100% of the tabs that come in?

Tab sites are an amazing tool for people - from experienced guitarists to beginners. It gives someone just starting out the ability to quickly play a song, while possibly trying to learn it themselves by ear, and just needing an extra helper. Or of course there are those that never learn to play by ear - so they just look the song up and play it. But for experienced guitarists - from time to time a chord is giving you trouble, or you're in a group of people and just want to quickly get to the chords of a new song. So tab sites are awesome - I just always wonder how they approve people's submissions - whether it matters if they are partially correct, or fully correct. etc....
Last edited by Reedly at Mar 9, 2012,
Quote by DON CZARSKI
What I dont understand is this. This is a site where humans that are capable of making errors submit tabs of songs the way they hear it and do so for free. No one forces them to do this but they do so out of their time and generosity. The tabs may not always be 100% accurate or may not even be 10% accurate but at least they try to help others by at least providing a starting point to a song that others may not have a clue to playing at all.... I believe that the main people who use this site are people who need a little direction. Guitarists that know there stuff don't need to come hear as they can do the songs themselves.... So in my opinion when someone complains about a song not being accurate then to me what I fail to understand is where is YOUR version of the song with the right chords, etc. ... I mean if you say that the tab is not accurate then you must know what is wrong so post the tab corrected.... And start giving back to the guitar players that could benefit from your expertise.
Lastly, if a person knows how to play the song then why would you even look at the tabs here on this site... That I definitely do not understand.... It's as if the only reason you look at tabs is to berate the person doing them to show your superiority.....
This in no way is a bash to the person starting this thread... Mainly it is to everyone that has posted similar threads .....

You take a lot of things for granted it's becoming even more obvious in your next part. But indeed you do make some good points. The reason why I "whine about the songs not being accurate" is because I've used tabs for a very long time, and some songs always seem to have the same inaccuracies. I play almost only by ear and have always done that the only thing I use tabs for are for stuff like deciphring Holdsworth solos or sometimes when I want to do it the easy way with a difficult Gambale song. But tab applications and tabs for them I only use for memorization on the fly, something called mental play which is the foundation of memory technique. It's probably quite unheard of and not taken in by that many guitarists since it's a in origin a piano technique. This technique however relies on visually and mentally playing the instrument when you don't have access to your instrument or to try different stuff in your head, like fingerings, voicings, phrasing, etc.

If the person coming here admitted that they can not do the song without sheet music and actually paid for every song they needed and were given an inaccurate tab then I could see there complaint as they are not getting what they paid for... But this site is free to use and so you accept the good with the bad... And if you do not like a tab then rate it and leave a comment and a correction...

if you want the most accurate tab then either go BUY the sheet music or book of that artist
Or pay someone that can do it exactly the way it should be done.... If it is for FREE then just be grateful someone out there took the time to try and help out...

Right, I buy sheet music from some artists that actually supply their information(I especially enjoy when it's actual sheet music and not just tabs, I'd rather only have the sheet music). UG+ actually costs money and you get 3 days for free.
Quote by Reedly
While I understand that tabs listed on most tab sites are from users submitting their thoughts of how the song goes, and for free, I do wonder sometimes what the process is for acceptance of submitted tabs.

I really enjoy learning songs to the best of my ability by ear. I have a couple friends who play guitar and from time to time they give me a call asking if I can help with the chords to a particular song. They'll say they found it on a tab site, but the chords just don't seem right. Quite often there is a chord here or there that is listed incorrectly, which is fine - like someone stated above - it was free, a good starting point, and created by a human to the best of their ability - but it leaves me wondering....Do tab site owners typically check the tabs submitted for errors? Or do they just accept 100% of the tabs that come in?

Tab sites are an amazing tool for people - from experienced guitarists to beginners. It gives someone just starting out the ability to quickly play a song, while possibly trying to learn it themselves by ear, and just needing an extra helper. Or of course there are those that never learn to play by ear - so they just look the song up and play it. But for experienced guitarists - from time to time a chord is giving you trouble, or you're in a group of people and just want to quickly get to the chords of a new song. So tab sites are awesome - I just always wonder how they approve people's submissions - whether it matters if they are partially correct, or fully correct. etc....

Right it's a tool, you don't see many pianists learning anything without sheet music.
Original point still stands. UG doesn't make the tabs them selves, it's all user submitted content.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!