I need opinions to choose between an EC-401, a Les Paul Studio and a PRS SE Singlecut/custom 24. The Gibson is the costliest of the lot, it feels and plays good. Haven't played the EC-401 yet, but it has a very nice Cherry sunburst finish and SD JB/59 pickups. Haven't tried the PRS either. Anybody got experience with these guitars? Recommendations?
Personally, I'd buy the PRS.

But, it ultimately depends on what you're playing. The ESP would probably do metal better than the other 2, whereas the Gibson will give you a classic rock tone better.

The PRS is like the midway - but IMO looks cooler.
"A man chooses. A slave obeys."
Quote by sykryk
Personally, I'd buy the PRS.

But, it ultimately depends on what you're playing. The ESP would probably do metal better than the other 2, whereas the Gibson will give you a classic rock tone better.

The PRS is like the midway - but IMO looks cooler.

This Is totally wrong.

1) The Gibson has the highest output pups out of all of them and is very versatile. If it feels good to you then it's probably a great fit.
2) The LTD has SDs not EMGs, the neck pickup on the LTD sounds much clearer and better than the Gibson neck pickups but the Seymour Duncan JB bridge pickup sound much harsher and worse than the Gibson bridge pickup. The LTD is the prettiest of them and lots of people love the neck but I personally have huge hands and I like the les Paul neck better.
The PRS is cool but has the worst ele tronics out of all of the and the tremolo bridge doesn't help in terms of hardware. I personally think that unless you've got locking tuners you shouldnt get a trem.

I'd get the Les Paul cos it has the highest quality electronics and hardware but the LTD is pretty awesome too
They all have different feels and tones. There is no objective best; go with whatever one has the spec that actually suit your hands and what tone you want.

The LTD will be the brightest and thinest-sounding. It has the slimmest neck with larger frets and a smaller, lighter body. It is most likely to be the most poorly-made.
The Gibson is going to be the best-built of the lot, with the best wood and hardware plus a nitro finish. It has medium frets, a neck that ranges from slightly thin to slightly thick (you have to try before you buy, the neck can vary from guitar to guitar) and a full thickness body and top giving a thick tone.
The PRS is closest to the LTD in terms of quality and spec; it should be built slightly better, but not as well as the Gibson. It has a slimmer body like the LTD, but a neck similar in thickness to most Gibsons. The slightly longer scale length and 1-piece wraparound bridge give it more 'twang'; bear in mind that the wrapround design limits how accurately you can set intonation.

Personally, I think the Gibson is he best choice and the other two guitars are simply not going to be built well enough (and most importantly, out of good enough wood) to compete. That said, if you like slim necks then the LTD is the obvious winner; in either instance I don't think the PRS is worth considering as it offers nothing that other two don't have.
Yes, I know everything. No, I can't play worth a damn.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by MrFlibble
They all have different feels and tones. There is no objective best; go with whatever one has the spec that actually suit your hands and what tone you want.

The LTD will be the brightest and thinest-sounding. It has the slimmest neck with larger frets and a smaller, lighter body. It is most likely to be the most poorly-made.
The Gibson is going to be the best-built of the lot, with the best wood and hardware plus a nitro finish. It has medium frets, a neck that ranges from slightly thin to slightly thick (you have to try before you buy, the neck can vary from guitar to guitar) and a full thickness body and top giving a thick tone.
The PRS is closest to the LTD in terms of quality and spec; it should be built slightly better, but not as well as the Gibson. It has a slimmer body like the LTD, but a neck similar in thickness to most Gibsons. The slightly longer scale length and 1-piece wraparound bridge give it more 'twang'; bear in mind that the wrapround design limits how accurately you can set intonation.

Personally, I think the Gibson is he best choice and the other two guitars are simply not going to be built well enough (and most importantly, out of good enough wood) to compete. That said, if you like slim necks then the LTD is the obvious winner; in either instance I don't think the PRS is worth considering as it offers nothing that other two don't have.

Totally this. Always listen to MrFibbles. He probably knows more about guitars than anyone else on UG

For advice always look at:
MrFibble - Guitars
Cathbard - Amps
Roc333 - Gear in general
Quote by bimaos
He probably knows more about guitars than anyone else on UG .]

That's not so hard tbh xD
Hufschmid
Blackat
Washburn USA Custom Shop
PRS
Mayones
Orange
Diezel
Engl
Quote by TheDuckMajor
Wut?

There's a spambot on this forum that randomly quotes a sentence or two from a previous poster and sticks an image at the end that's actually a trojan/spybot/tracking cookie/whatever, I'm not a computer expert. That's what that is.

Quote by TheDuckMajor
Totally this. Always listen to MrFibbles. He probably knows more about guitars than anyone else on UG
Ta, but I think there's a few people on here that probably know more than me - I just happen to be the one that types the most

Quote by LP_CL
That's not so hard tbh xD
In all fairness to U-G (the community at least, perhaps not the front page that copies & pastes other website's articles without proper credit or permission), you can't have a group of people this large that are all knowledgable and rational. The more people you have the more idiots you'll have.
A child is trafficked and sold for sex slavery every 30 seconds. Support Love146.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
This Is totally wrong.

1) The Gibson has the highest output pups out of all of them and is very versatile. If it feels good to you then it's probably a great fit.
2) The LTD has SDs not EMGs, the neck pickup on the LTD sounds much clearer and better than the Gibson neck pickups but the Seymour Duncan JB bridge pickup sound much harsher and worse than the Gibson bridge pickup. The LTD is the prettiest of them and lots of people love the neck but I personally have huge hands and I like the les Paul neck better.
The PRS is cool but has the worst ele tronics out of all of the and the tremolo bridge doesn't help in terms of hardware. I personally think that unless you've got locking tuners you shouldnt get a trem.

I'd get the Les Paul cos it has the highest quality electronics and hardware but the LTD is pretty awesome too

No. No it does not. The EC has a Duncan JB (which is a fairly high output pickup, and just for the record I don't like it either) and a 59, the LP Studios have Gibson 490s (not dissimilar to Alnico 2 Pros IIRC). I'd rather duncans over muddy gibson pickups.

The PRS SE pickups aren't name brand or anything but they do sound pretty good.
The bridges on PRS's are very nice quality, and stay in tune pretty well (even with the tuners on the SE).

As far as sheer build quality goes - PRS SE's are pretty good, and are consistently pretty good. LTD, never played a dud but they don't feel nearly as nice (the Deluxe series is better IMO). Gibson, at least in my experience, is either really good or pretty mediocre. Try before you buy.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Last edited by oneblackened at Mar 8, 2012,
If the Gibson feels good to you, there's no reason to get either of the other two. Objectively, the Gibson is the best of the bunch (by far). Back in the day when the EC-400 was MIK, it would have been a pretty hefty contender, but the new MIC crap LTD is putting out now is kinda bad.

@TheDuckMajor The Studio Faded has Burstbuckers, and I highly doubt they're higher output than a JB.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
No, the les Paul studios bridge pickup is a 498T high output alnico V pickups and it's really high output. The neck pickups are similar output but different magnets. The SD 59 will drive the amp a bit more cos that just a generally characteristic of alnico V pickups. I have the Gibson pickups and whilst the neck is extremely muddy and dark (and therefore not very useful for distorted rhythms) it is good for cleans and the bridge pickups is pretty decent for funk and distorted. Id swap them out for other pickups anyway but they're certainly good enough. I'd rather a better guitar with worse pickups that can be changed over time than a bad guitar with better pickups that can't be changed cos well... It's the guitar.
Quote by Offworld92
If the Gibson feels good to you, there's no reason to get either of the other two. Objectively, the Gibson is the best of the bunch (by far). Back in the day when the EC-400 was MIK, it would have been a pretty hefty contender, but the new MIC crap LTD is putting out now is kinda bad.

Indonesia, actually, but yeah same sh*t. Go for a Korean made LTD, TS.
Grab an EC400, excellent guitars with SD's at stupid low prices... if you like the thin U necks.
Yamaha FG700S
LTD EC-1000 MGO
Agile 3k
Laney Cub 15w Head with 2x12 cab
Vox VT 20+
Quote by TheDuckMajor
No, the les Paul studios bridge pickup is a 498T high output alnico V pickups and it's really high output.
Even the very highest output pickup Gibson makes, the Dirty Fingers, only produces a fraction more output than the SD JB. The 498T is several steps below that.

Though even then, pickup output really doesn't mean all that much. A Gibson BB #1 has about a slow output as you can get for a humbucker these days, but it's just as capable of doing extreme metal as an EMG, assuming you have a suitable amp. An EMG 85 has absolutely ridiculous output, but you can still get a completely pristine clean tone out of it on any (again, suitable) amp without having to roll the volume down. The SD JB may have more output than the Gibson's pickups but the actual effect this will have on any amp is negligible.

A lot of people seem to think that pickup output dictates what styles of music you can play with any given guitar. It doesn't. Pickup output means sod-all these days. It meant something back when the Super Distortion first came out and people were getting all their distortion just from cranking a Plexi head's master volume, but nowadays all our amps have so much preamp gain that it doesn't make a difference. And who even rolls their volume down to get clean tones now? Sodding nobody, we've all got 2+ channel amps with dedicated clean and distorted channels, so having the output range to roll down is useless to 99% of people. Not to mention that modern amps are made with the assumption that the pickups used with them are going to have an output around that of the Super Distortion or JB, while in the early '70s and before amps were designed with the assumption that the pickups output would be somewhere between a PAF and a Telecaster neck single coil. Everything has more headroom now and everything has more gain. Pickup output is an utterly pointless attribute these days unless you're going out of your way to make an old school rig.
Quote by OVER9000VIDEOS
Indonesia, actually, but yeah same sh*t. Go for a Korean made LTD, TS.

They used to be made in Indonesia, which was slightly better. To the extent of my knowledge, everything sub Deluxe is now made in China and Vietnam.

Some proof:

Quote by TheDuckMajor
No, the les Paul studios bridge pickup is a 498T high output alnico V pickups and it's really high output.

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Les-Paul/Gibson-USA/Les-Paul-Studio-Pro-Faded.aspx

It says right there that the Studio Faded uses Burstbuckers. I know TS didn't specify that he was looking at the Faded model, but given the price range of the other two guitars, I figured the implication was obvious. If he's looking at a non faded studio, then fair enough.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
For what its worth, I've played all 3 of these.

For me, there is no beating the ESP/LTDs neck profile, so I'd pick that every time. I played a bunch of the 401 series 2 weeks ago, and they had 4 in the store. Each one was setup well and had no obvious flaws. I've heard of duds out there, but never seen one as far as mid-range LTDs go. Plus if you want the 59/JB combo - they're a very solid set of pickups. The internet loves to hate these pickups, but I dig them. To be fair, you should be considering the EC-1000's to these other guitars (as they are all the same caliber).

The PRS is great - but buy used if you're gonna get a PRS SE, the price drop is HUGE. As in, you can get a PRS SE singlecut for like $300 on CL. They sound good, are solid, well made instruments, and look pretty damn fine. The bridge is also good for palm muting IMO. The neck profile is similar to the Gibson.

Gibson. TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. I've owned 2 and tried dozens in stores - the neck carve always varies instrument to instrument. Gibson pickups are also 'meh.' Not good, not bad. They are pretty diverse though - as are the 59/JB set and the PRS pickups, though. Lower end Gibson's *should* have better woods, but that isn't necessarily true. Fit & finish on Gibsons is also all over the place. I've seen more than a few off the rack with scratchy pots/improperly installed knobs/scratch&dent. If you find a good one - they rule. But Gibson quality control is terrible in my experience.

My vote is the LTD because I like the lighter body and thinner neck. If you can find a Gibson with a true 60's neck (lots are labelled as 60's necks, but much thicker as the necks are all hand-finished) that is also my vote. If you prefer beefier necks, you can pretty much ignore all of this
Last edited by OceansBetweenUs at Mar 9, 2012,
The New EC-401 has DiMarzio pickups. having played all of the above as well as the handmade eclipse I doubt anyone could tell it was mid range. The Mahogany body is full thickness and the build and sound is outstanding. LTD has really gone to extra length to ensure consistency across the board with superior quality.
Quote by steven.richards
The New EC-401 has DiMarzio pickups. having played all of the above as well as the handmade eclipse I doubt anyone could tell it was mid range. The Mahogany body is full thickness and the build and sound is outstanding. LTD has really gone to extra length to ensure consistency across the board with superior quality.

Why are you bumping a 2yr old thread?
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate