Page 1 of 2
I remember, sometime back in the late 70s, a British comedian called Jasper Carrot stating that the Americans don't know what the old Anglo-Saxon word 'bollocks' means. He said that the whole of North America was blissfully unaware of the existence of the word.

According to him, after being asked its meaning by an American lady, he collapsed into laughter and informed her that it meant 'spots'. Apparently, he was with the unfortunate lady when she marched into Boots chemist, pointed to a large zit on her chin and asked for some cream to rub into her bollocks.

So, America, just out of interest, how familiar are you with 'bollocks'?

Word!

Quote by lambofgod127
btw im in hs and im almost 18 so if u do think she was flirting with me dont say that its wrong im almost a grown man.

༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽ WE ARE ROB ༼ ▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ ༽
I saw it in Harry Potter and threads about "chavs"...
Quote by Gabel
You are EXTREMELY WRONG! I have played it. I own an 18W and it would be an awful stereo amp, it's way too bright, breaks up too easily and so on. Secondly, why would a guitar store sell an hifi amp.
I know Homer Simpson said it once, so did Miles O'Brian in an episode of Deep Space 9.

If they got away with it on programmes like that, I'm guessing it doesn't mean much over there.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Wikipedia
"Bollocks" /ˈbɒləks/ is a word of Anglo-Saxon origin, meaning "testicles". The word is often used figuratively in British English and Hiberno-English, as a noun to mean "nonsense", an expletive following a minor accident or misfortune, or an adjective to mean "poor quality" or "useless". Similarly, the common phrases "Bollocks to this!" or "That's a load of old bollocks" generally indicate contempt for a certain task, subject or opinion. Conversely, the word also figures in idiomatic phrases such as "the dog's bollocks", "top bollock(s)", or more simply "the bollocks" (as opposed to just "bollocks"), which will refer to something which is admired, approved of or well-respected.

This.
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Not sure if this thread is bollocks or the bollocks.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
That would be a matter of personal taste.

That's my point. I'm just not sure what I think of it yet.
Quote by Todd Hart
Shooting your friends with a real gun is a definite faux pas.

Quote by mystical_1
Professor Plum in the Studio with a new Amp

Quote by snipelfritz
If only I were the only one at home right now. I don't need my parents asking who Mr. Wiggles is.
I never thought that this was even possible;

The story revolves around the Sex Pistols' 1977 album 'Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols'. The manager of the Virgin record shop in Nottingham was charged under the Indecent Advertisements Act of 1889 after police spotted posters advertising the newly-released album in the shop window.

During the trial, Richard Branson called upon the Professor of Linguistics at the local university (a Professor Kingsley) to define the word 'bollocks'. Professor Kingsley explained that the word 'bollocks' was actually an eighteenth century nickname for priests. Because priests' sermons were typically a load of rubbish, the word 'bollocks' eventually became synonymous with 'rubbish'.

from here. http://everything2.com/title/bollocks
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
I never thought that this was even possible;

The story revolves around the Sex Pistols' 1977 album 'Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols'. The manager of the Virgin record shop in Nottingham was charged under the Indecent Advertisements Act of 1889 after police spotted posters advertising the newly-released album in the shop window.

During the trial, Richard Branson called upon the Professor of Linguistics at the local university (a Professor Kingsley) to define the word 'bollocks'. Professor Kingsley explained that the word 'bollocks' was actually an eighteenth century nickname for priests. Because priests' sermons were typically a load of rubbish, the word 'bollocks' eventually became synonymous with 'rubbish'.

from here. http://everything2.com/title/bollocks

From wiki.

The usage of the word "bollocks" caused controversy when Tony Wright, a Leicestershire trader, was given an £80 fixed penalty fine by police for selling T-shirts bearing the slogan "Bollocks to Blair". This took place on 29 June 2006 at the Royal Norfolk Show; the police issued the penalty notice, quoting Section 5 of the Public Order Act 1986 which refers to language "deemed to cause harassment, alarm or distress". Although Wright would most likely win a legal case against the fine, it is not known whether he considered challenging it or not.

Commentators have made comparisons with the Sex Pistols case, pointing to some of the statements made by John Mortimer QC: "What sort of country are we living in if a politician comes to Nottingham and speaks here to a group of people in the city centre and, during his speech, a heckler replies "bollocks". Are we to expect this person to be incarcerated, or do we live in a country where we are proud of our Anglo-Saxon language?".

Well, being Scottish I'm rather partial to bollocks.

Well that came out wrong, or did it?... >_>
I heard it when I was 12 because of the Sex Pistols' album. Looked up the word in a dictionary after that. Laughed at one of the definitions.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Quote by whoomit

Yes.... It did.
"You're not hardcore unless you live hardcore"
I know what it means. And not just because I read this thread. I watch enough BBC and other such shit that I learned what it meant eventually through context.
In the 70s Americans likely did not know what it means, but things change. Nice trick there, dupe a stranger with a word they won't know. Ahahaha lame
Smile when you say that.
Have the Americans not heard of The Sex Pistols?
R.I.P Jon Lord, Rory Gallagher and Jimi!
Quote by SlackerBabbath
So, America, just out of interest, how familiar are you with 'bollocks'?
Quite.
ggg1 ggg3

Quote by a_7_x
This thread is baws.

Ah shweng mah baws back an' for', ah shweng mah baws back an' for'.

/WeegiethemedWillowSmith cover.
I'm gonna assume it more than one meaning, because I've heard it used a couple different ways:

1. That's a load of bollocks.
2. I'll knock the bollocks out of you.

So, from my experience, it means bullshit or fuck.
Quote by whoomit
Ah shweng mah baws back an' for', ah shweng mah baws back an' for'.

/WeegiethemedWillowSmith cover.

You lookin at mah burd?
Naw mate.
How no? Trying tae say she's ugly or summint?

Glaswegians are so literate
Quote by a_7_x
You lookin at mah burd?
Naw mate.
How no? Trying tae say she's ugly or summint?

Glaswegians are so literate

I have always known what it means but there's that term "to give someone a bollocking"...

So when your parents are giving you a bollocking for doing something wrong, there's testicles involved?
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy
I have always known what it means but there's that term "to give someone a bollocking"...

So when your parents are giving you a bollocking for doing something wrong, there's testicles involved?

They slap your balls real hard so they do a helicopter.
We all know it, but only really say it when we're imitating an English accent or something like that.
I think we took too many drugs when we were kids,
'cause now we like to make
Weird Music
-Wayne Coyne
Quote by WholeLottaIzzy

There's about as much testicles involved in 'giving someone a bollocking' as there is in 'making a bollocks' of something or 'bollocking something up'... which both mean that same thing and, interestingly, could actualy cause someone to 'recieve a bollocking'.

Of course, 'having a bollocking good time' is something that's completely different to giving or recieving a bollocking.
Americans have no knowledge of the bollocks.

As far as I've always known, bollocks have been in reference to testicles, or being told off, I.E. some of the examples posted above.
bollocks is the dogs bollocks
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Munter is a good one.
455 75 34 88

(´・ω・`)

Quote by strait jacket
Do you like being sigged or, like me do you feel strangely violated?
Quote by whoomit

We support you.

Now, you can take that penguin hat out of the closet, and it never has to go back in.
Page 1 of 2