Yeah so I just started to upload stuff. I have uploaded an album with 23 tracks on soundcloud that are available for download, and I'm currently working on new songs that I intend to release for free too.. I don't except anything from making this music other than I want people to hear it. I'm aware of that my name and music isn't registered, but is it really that important? I wonder how common it is that some dude decided to steal a solo from you or, a riff? But the date I uploaded the music should prove that the stuff belongs to me? Or?
Couldn't you just make it so that the music is secretive....
So it's like available only to a certain amount/group of people?

I swear that's what my band has done
Quote by Mudmen190
Why do you care so much?

Imagine you put a lot of work into something original and creative that you're very proud of, and want to show everybody.

Then some dickhead comes along, copies what you did, claims it as their own and makes profit from it.

How pissed would you be? If you say anything other than "Very", you're lying.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
Quote by BeefWellington
Imagine you put a lot of work into something original and creative that you're very proud of, and want to show everybody.

Then some dickhead comes along, copies what you did, claims it as their own and makes profit from it.

How pissed would you be? If you say anything other than "Very", you're lying.

I'd be proud that my idea is something people genuinely enjoy. I don't like music being turned into a commodity.
What my room mate that's doing law in college said you should do is have the songs on a hard copy cd or flash drive then mail it to yourself and never open it unless its for a legal reason. As long as the package is completely sealed and it is dated by a government employee you're pretty much sorted.
Quote by PaulyVengeance
Well done, you've essentially just raged at 3 slices of bread. Aren't you a fucking genius?
Last edited by DGROGAN1992 at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by Thrashtastic15
I'd be proud that my idea is something people genuinely enjoy. I don't like music being turned into a commodity.

About... 18 months ago, a band called "We Stand Redeemed" released a song that was very clearly an attempt at copying one of my band's pieces. I don't say that as an egostroke, I say that because 3/4 of the song structure was identical, the riff rhythms were slightly changed versions of ours, and all in all it sounded like a bad cover of our song. Our EP had been circulating the net for over 6/7 months now, was all over youtube, etc, we weren't massive, but we definitely had a decent following, and it seemed pretty obvious they'd tried to slide either an intentional or unintentional rip-off straight through. After some fans had brought it our (and their) attention, they basically took down the song and broke up. This was the statement they put out. http://christianmetalforum.com/topic/8287816/1/
We didn't bully them, we didn't lose our shit, we just told them that we weren't diggin' this. At all.

Long story short, this had nothing to do with money. This was pure theft of art, unintentional or not, and especially considering the original song's message was about the death of art through this exact kind of thing, the irony was apparent to all.

tl;dr
Being stolen from isn't nearly as fun as you think.
I don't care if a band's sound is similar, we aren't a unique band anyway, but this wasn't cool.
Last edited by Magero at Mar 8, 2012,
All original work is copyrighted, but you can always get a certificate if you are really paranoid. If anyone steals your music, you can take them to court.
Quote by Magero
tl;dr
I don't care if a band's sound is similar, we aren't a unique band anyway, but this wasn't cool.

It depends entirely on your mindset. I'd honestly be flattered if somebody cared enough about what I did to "steal" it and incorporate it into their own song. Then again, I don't like intellectual copyright, music being a commodity, and all that other great stuff. If somebody hears something you've done and decides "I could use that better", more power to them.
Quote by DGROGAN1992
What my room mate that's doing law in college said you should do is have the songs on a hard copy cd or flash drive then mail it to yourself and never open it unless its for a legal reason. As long as the package is completely sealed and it is dated by a government employee you're pretty much sorted.

That's a myth: http://www.copyrightauthority.com/poor-mans-copyright/

For more information:
http://www.plagiarismtoday.com/stopping-internet-plagiarism/your-copyrights-online/3-copyright-myths/

and 10 Myths about copyright: http://www.templetons.com/brad/copymyths.html
Last edited by jugglingfreak at Mar 8, 2012,
People always steal my music. WHERE DAFUQ IS MY MONEYZ?

Sincerely, Lars Ulrich
Quote by Represent
ITT: Immature twats
Quote by Magero

tl;dr

So the original band was a Christcore band? Isn't Substructure the same band? I'm pretty sure they're not moshing4christ.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
http://www.copyright.gov/fls/fl105.html

i know all you guys are all anti-intellectual property. but i figured i'd put the option out there. i know a dude who makes $10,000 a quarter on royalties alone (and it used to be like 10 times that). and why not? he wrote songs that people are using to make money for themselves, isn't it only fair that he sees some of that? i think so. but carry on.
#DTWD
Quote by Thrashtastic15

so then why wouldn't you be pissed if, as he posed, someone took what you created to be free and, due to your lack of real ownership, ripped it off and sold it. is that not an afront to the principles you just stated shouldn't you copyright your music and THEN distribute it for free?
#DTWD