Hello, I am wanting to get a full fledged DAW. I have been piddling around with Audacity and live lite for too long, and now want to move into a semi-pro DAW software. The problem is I have no idea which one to choose!

I am a guitarist/keyboardist, so obviously I want it to have a good recording/editing suit. But I would also like it to have a nice library of pre-recorded elements to build some backing tracks to practice soloing and basic songwriting. I would also like to get my toes wet with MIDI controlling through my Keyboard, and eventually a Misa Kitara. Will a singular DAW contain all these elements, or am I looking at using multiple programs?

I am using windows based PC's, but would like the program to be cross platform compatible to Mac just in case I decide to go with a Mac in the future.

At first I thought just getting Ableton Live 8 would suffice, but once I started searching what was out there, It got a bit overwhelming and now I cannot decide. Price ceiling is about $600

Thanks for the help!
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Mesa Boogie Nomad 100 (selling soon to fund a Mark V)
I started with Live Lite, too. A good friend of mine produces beats for hip-hop productions. He uses Live 8. It's a nice program and great for hip-hop, house and so on but there are better programs out there for other recording purposes.

At the moment i use Cubase and Wavelab. Especially Cubase is a huge software and it takes some time until you understand everything. On the other hand it's a pro-software and it's compatible with many other programs.

If you want to invest some time, Cubase would be a good choice !
Last edited by el.duderino456 at Mar 8, 2012,
Reaper gets a second from me.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
REAPER here too, widely support, bunch of really good plugins (still find myself using ReaEQ over Waves EQ sometimes) and it's cheap as hell.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ThatsAgood1jay
But I would also like it to have a nice library of pre-recorded elements to build some backing tracks to practice soloing and basic songwriting. I would also like to get my toes wet with MIDI controlling through my Keyboard, and eventually a Misa Kitara.

Does Reaper do this?!

I've not used it, so I'm in no position to suggest it doesn't, but I didn't think it did that sort of thing.

Cubase does it well.

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
There is a sampler in REAPER, but you have to build up your own sample library.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by ChemicalFire
There is a sampler in REAPER, but you have to build up your own sample library.

This.

But when you consider the fact that it only costs $60 for the license, with a $600 budget, you've just opened up a TON of money you could put toward a commercial sample library, that will blow away anything that comes stock on a DAW.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
i like reaper and usually suggest it, but this is one of those times it doesnt really fit the bill. it doesnt come with a good library of sounds. and i think the midi editing isnt as good as a lot of the other programs out there. as much as i like the program, maybe look somewhere else.

fruity loops does have a good library of sounds and i really liked the midi editing suite in it. it is supposed to be good for recording as well, but i havent used the newer versions that improved that area. it still has some issues with programing tempo or time signature changes, so if you write music with a lot of those it isnt your best bet. just figured id throw it out there as an option since no one else mentioned it.
What about one of the versions of Avid Pro-Tools?
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
Quote by ThatsAgood1jay
What about one of the versions of Avid Pro-Tools?

Pro Tools is an expensive start for the recording beginner, and there are also much fewer freeware plug-ins available in RTAS/TDM format, meaning you have less opportunity to experiment with many of the techniques mentioned here often as you won't have access to the required plug-ins or their equivalvent without shelling out cash.

Reaper is probably the best thing to start with if only for the price - it allows people to make their mind up whether they want to pursue audio engineering further for a rather small investment. It also hosts VST plug-ins without a wrapper, which means that you have access to the majority of the freeware plug-ins people here use and discuss.

Just my opinion anyway - I'm a Logic Pro user but definitely don't think it's worth getting into Logic unless you already have/are getting a Mac, and are likely to pursue this passion far enough to make sense of dropping several hundred of your wallet's finest on one bit of software.
Hey, look. Sigs are back.
I have been trying out Reaper, and really like how simple it is to use. I have not gone to far in depth with it. Fruity loops sounds interesting, ill look into it.

I went into Guitar Center the other day and spoke with one of the guys at he recording desk. He recomended Presonus Studio one as an introductory DAW program. Anyone here have thoughts on it?
Music Man JP6 BFR
Music Man JP6
I have Studio One (the full version). It's pretty cool.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
i have studio one to learn on and reaper but as i move on i plan to go into reaper for the vst support
Pro Tools, I found it the easiest to learn. It's a bit pricy, but if your looking for mac/pc compatible it has that, but also if you want to bring sessions into professional studios, most likely they are running pro tools so there will not be a compatibility issue.
USA Jackson RR1, Carvin Custom 7 String, Peavey 6505+, Krank Krankenstein Cabinet, Carvin Power Conditioner, Line 6 G 90 Wireless, BBE Sonic Maximizer, Full tone OCD Overdrive, ISP Decimator, Boss TU 2 Tuner