Hi all,

Hopefully someone here that knows or owns both might be able to help me... I'm seriously considering getting a POD (HD Bean?) for both recording and through headphones to keep the noise down but want to know how it will take my Boss SD-1 before it. In a 'real' amp I would be able to saturate the tubes with the overdriven signal but obviously the POD is a modelling amp and doesn't have tubes. So would it work?

Also, would the POD take tube effects well as I am thinking of making one...?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Its not going to sound The same. Its,Just going to add color to The signal or make clip. I clip plugging straight in to mine with Nothing between.
Quote by david-vbhc
Its not going to sound The same. Its,Just going to add color to The signal or make clip. I clip plugging straight in to mine with Nothing between.
What about:
SD-1 --> Tube Buffer of some sort --> POD

So the tube is saturated... how will the POD take the already saturated signal?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Why bother?

The inbuilt ones sound nicer than a DS1 anyway.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Not sure but I believe the consensus is pedals work fairly well in front of Pods. But yeah there's built in stuff anyway.
Quote by Tom 1.0
Why bother?

The inbuilt ones sound nicer than a DS1 anyway.
SD-1, and I'm not convinced but can the inbuilt ones saturate the inbuilt modelling amps?

I swear, all this techno-wizardry in PODs is going to my head.

EDIT: One more question, does anyone know of Direct Input effects (like the POD) that just deal with computer to guitar interfacing (i.e. no need to use software as well and doesn't contain preamp simulation etc...), essentially a Power Amp modeller? i.e:

Guitar --> SD-1 --> Tube Preamp --> Interface --> PC
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Mar 8, 2012,
My bad...

Will still sound naff.

The pod isn't that advanced.

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Theres no point to it. A POD is not a tube. Trying to overdrive its front end will just sound nasty. If you want to add color to the POD's sound, or use it as a standalone OD giving distortion infront of a clean amp model, it will sound fine. But trying to overdrive an internal amp model in it will simply clip the crap out of the SS input stage. And will sound like shit. Youll have to use the built in OD models if you want to boost the amp models using the typical gain/level 0/10 method.

To make it simpler, when you boost using an internal OD, the DSP inside it calculates how the amp will react. It doesnt actually overdrive any harware components.

A DSP works by using mathematical formulae. Each amp model isnt a hardware thing inside that blips and buzzes. Its a set of equations that are applied to the input waveform. Trying to OD the internal chip will just give weird results, since none of the sound comes from the interactions between components like tubes

Think of it like this. A real amp is a shit load of electricity going bazooms inside. A DSP is a guy with a calculator that tells you what you would sound like if you did so and so pedal in front of so and so amp.

Quote by Emperor's Child
SD-1, and I'm not convinced but can the inbuilt ones saturate the inbuilt modelling amps?

I swear, all this techno-wizardry in PODs is going to my head.

EDIT: One more question, does anyone know of Direct Input effects (like the POD) that just deal with computer to guitar interfacing (i.e. no need to use a computer as well and don't contain preamp simulation etc...), essentially a Power Amp modeller?

Yeah they will. There designed to. Whether the saturation is to your taste or not is a subjective matter. And the POD HD series has pwoeramp modelling as well as a built in interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlPzuiMZOU

Keep in mind that guy is a master at mixing and his playing is tight as hell.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 8, 2012,
Quote by GS LEAD 5
Yeah they will. There designed to. Whether the saturation is to your taste or not is a subjective matter. And the POD HD series has pwoeramp modelling as well as a built in interface.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YPlPzuiMZOU

Keep in mind that guy is a master at mixing and his playing is tight as hell.
Hmm... my only problem is that I was planning on getting the POD HD Desktop which doesn't have the Return FX (or any FX loop) so I wouldn't have access to the Power modelling unit alone .
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Just thought of this...

Is it possible to bypass the preamp section of the POD Bean via software, thus solving my issue?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Hmm... my only problem is that I was planning on getting the POD HD Desktop which doesn't have the Return FX (or any FX loop) so I wouldn't have access to the Power modelling unit alone .

You cant use poweramp modelling alone in any DSP till date save the Axe Fx. The FX loop does not determine if youll go into the poweramp modelling section. See my post above. There are no unique hardware components before or after the loop. Its just a single computer chip.

You can siwtchoff the poweramp modelling and use the POD as only a preamp. But you cant switch off the pre and use just the poweramp. Only the Axe lets you do that.

Why are you so bothered about poweramp modelling? If you play metal, most of your tone is gonna come from the preamp, the poweramp really wont do all that much for your sound

If you want a sound like that of cranked tubes, then the POD really doesnt do that all that well in my experience. The poweramp modelling adds color to the sound, but cranking the amp volume doesnt cause it to break up more. If you want that sort of a sound, the only modellers that can do it are the 11 Rack, the Axe V1 and V2, and the Kemper Profiling Amp.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Mar 9, 2012,
i use a POD for recording and have tried various combinations of fx etc. what you originally stated will not work. as mentioned there are no tubes to drive. the unit has built in "pedal" fx for adding distortion. you can run a distortion pedal through a clean amp model and that will work but it just delivers the sound of the pedal. for practice or recording purposes it works best as a stand alone unit and really doesn't need outside help. you just have to take the time to work with it to get various tones. i spend more time tweaking mine than actually recording but it is worth the effort.
Hmm... this is all as I feared... I think I'll take a look at the 11 Rack, since thats a bit nicer on the wallet and see if it fits what I need.

Just to clarify, the reason I would want to run the power amp section alone is to have a separate tube preamp run into it, utilising the power amp modelling as an "emulated output" of sorts.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by Emperor's Child
Hmm... this is all as I feared... I think I'll take a look at the 11 Rack, since thats a bit nicer on the wallet and see if it fits what I need.

Just to clarify, the reason I would want to run the power amp section alone is to have a separate tube preamp run into it, utilising the power amp modelling as an "emulated output" of sorts.

Unless I'm missing something... You are planning to do all of this so you can use an your SD1??? The Pod by itself will probably sound better than the setup that you are describing
Quote by zl1288
Unless I'm missing something... You are planning to do all of this so you can use an your SD1??? The Pod by itself will probably sound better than the setup that you are describing
But others said that the POD doesn't have tubes so can't be saturated and doesn't model it well either? So if I had the SD-1 saturate a separate tube preamp that went into a modeller the problem would be solved. No?
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
No.

The POD imitates tube saturation, so just use it by itself. It won't sound perfect, but it will be close enough for practice and recording purposes.
Quote by Vendetta V
im doing this myself with a digitech (and a God Box overdrive)

does it work? judge yourself http://vendettav.bandcamp.com/album/cookie-brownie-and-the-honey-bee-dedicated-to-armenia
That's some really nice work you got there. Unfortunately I'm looking for saturation primarily for thick, beefy power chords on the lower strings so those songs (whilst having a good tone) focus more on a more trebly tone - it doesn't sound too shabby though.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Lincoln Brewster, who is an extremely popular and talented CCM singer and guitarist uses a PODHD500 direct into the board, and also uses multiple stomp boxes with it. So if its good enough for a pro with GREAT tone, then it should work for anyone. Check out some of his videos on Youtube, or refer to his website for more information.
Go for a pedal set, will cost more and take more time, but you'll sound better i think if you get high quality pedals. But also you get the bean and go on with it, it is good if you want to have your sound everywhere. You will sound nice with pod and it will be pratic, but you'll never get a that good sound. Still, many people use it on studio and on scene, but remember to buy the expensive ones.
Quote by Emperor's Child
That's some really nice work you got there. Unfortunately I'm looking for saturation primarily for thick, beefy power chords on the lower strings so those songs (whilst having a good tone) focus more on a more trebly tone - it doesn't sound too shabby though.

hey man thanks, well yeah it comes down to personal basis but the thing is that you saw how I used it and it worked: no clipping and the tone was good for what I was going for right? So... pretty much if I was after some beefier tone, then I'd just dial it that way, put a different diode combination on my overdrive, boost the bass, etc. so all I mean is that this was just one example of it being possible/doable and capable of yielding good results even.

long story short: thanks for the tone thing and you'll just want a different setting on your POD.

btw I dont really know how pods take pedals before them but I've been running about 6-8 pedals into my Digitech RP355 and so far it's worked like a charm for me
This technique just doesn't really work. As you mentioned, it's a totally different ball game. I find that any stompboxes in a POD chain just lose it all.
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
as i mentioned before if you take the time to work with the POD you can get what you want out of it. all the songs in my profile except Project 7 were done with a POD. it's not a plug and play situation though. take some time and remember that you use less distortion for recording than you might think. experiment and i'm sure you can get what you want within reason.