I've got a skype headset at home, and my beats headphones cable has a mic on that too - and using these two mics + audacity i can make a very decent sounding guitar track and vocal track (using each mic respectively).

Obviously they arent comparable to pro studio recordings, but at college we've just finished recording the tracks for a single and the sound is awful. We had to DI the guitar + bass because micing up the amp was just horrid.
The vocals sound really 1 dimensional, and with literally no breathing room. We're using proper vocal mic's and drum mics (the drums sound decent actually) and Cubase to do this, and the guitars + vocals dont come anywhere near my rushed home quality recordings.

Overall the record (without any mastering/editing done to it) sounds flat and doesnt make an impact.

The main problem with the guitars is, they have 0 rawness to them and just dont cut through like they should.
The main vocal problem is the mic has made the vocals sound like they're coming from a cupboard - i have started to think my studio singing technique was partly to blame, but still - At home through a tiny tiny mic I have a bang on sound for what i want to use for the record - it has space and natural reverb on it.

TLR

Is a poor sound likely down to our Mic choice, DI-ing guitars or cubase in general, or will it be sorted through mastering?
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Problem = beats headphones. ****ing overpriced crap. Best if you return it asap
And considering Beats have an EQ bump at stupidly low frequencies don't expect to be able to mix anything through the with any form of accuracy. The marketing was ALL LIES... surprisingly.

Could also be an element of using a shity amp sim or not getting the tone right when you recorded it.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Last edited by ChemicalFire at Mar 8, 2012,
Did you layer vocal tracks? If not, it's probably why it's sounding a bit thin. And I presumed you've atleast doubletracked guitars. But really dude, you can't expect it to sound amazing when it's completely un-mixed.
Quote by Cathbard
You don't need epic tone in the bedroom any more than you need mood lighting to masturbate.

Guitars are double tracked, vocals too.

It sounds way better unmixed through even that Ipod plugin with amp sims. Cubase does have shitty amp sims i guess :/
Im tempted to try the beats mic at college, if it sounds good at home - no reason it cant be put to use with cubase i guess!

Thanks all.
Always waiting for that bit of inspiration.
Quote by W4T3V3R
Guitars are double tracked, vocals too.

It sounds way better unmixed through even that Ipod plugin with amp sims. Cubase does have shitty amp sims i guess :/

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1522593
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If you do have to mix on non-flat sound systems then at least utilize a variety of systems and environments and WRITE DOWN notes in each environment pertaining to this sort of information:

Guitar: +3dB, cut 500 Hz
Bass: -6dB
Vox: +4-5dB, boost 2500 Hz

..so on. That's some technical terminology, but you can start with up and down arrows. How does it sound in your car? Your buddy's garage? Your TV? Shitty computer speakers? Ear buds from your iPod...

Make notes for EVERY system you have access to, and look at the trends over all. If 5/6 of them have you boosting guitars, then boost the guitars. If your vox are only weak in the car, then it's probably not your vocals at all (or perhaps they need just a slight boost, maybe 1-1.5 dB at 2.5 k)...

That's not the professional way to do it, but it is a way to do it that does work. Until you get yourself some studio monitors (because headphones should NOT be used to mix) you will have to do it like this.

I got a set of monitors for $60 at a pawn shop. They are older and need to be re-coned. They had tobacco smoke on them and I actually took all of the plastic parts off and washed them in the dish washer. I also used a wet, soft rag to clean the actual speaker cones, too.

I'm not rich, but I know what I'm doing. I could have spent $1000 on some Alesis monitors or whatever, but I can't afford it - my wife would kill me!!

$60 I can spend. I got VERY good speakers for the money, and I doctored them back to health. I've even finessed the cones (that were a bit warped from age) back to health.

I used to mix the way I described above. Now I mix through my monitors. I still reference the car, though, because you've GOT to know how it sounds on the open road!!

That is absolutely critical - and there is only one way to find out!
Quote by W4T3V3R

Is a poor sound likely down to our Mic choice, DI-ing guitars or cubase in general, or will it be sorted through mastering?

Well, you didn't specify what you meant by "proper drum and vocal mics", but if they are indeed decent mics, then that shouldn't be the problem.

Cubase itself will not be the problem. It is pro-quality software.

Mastering is polish. You can polish a turd, but in the end, it is still just a shiny turd.

DI'ed guitars by themselves are rarely exactly what you want. They can sound great, but usually are best when mixed with live guitars.

Why not just record an amp?

CT
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.