hey guys, im looking for some new passive pickups to put in my gibson explorer, i want a really warm but also bright sounding neck pickup and a bridge pickup with tons of punch, not interested in emgs anymore, i har people talk about dimarzio d activators but i really cant stand alot of peoples tone that use dimarzios. so any suggestions? im also getting new tubes for my amp and would like to start using the amps distortion instead of dist pedals or even overdrive pedals.
although you're leaning away from dimarzios the air nortons are really nice, i'm putting one in the neck of my LP in the coming months. you should just try to search around and listen to different custom shops, they have billions of demo vids on youtube. i use fralins in my strat and have heard the humbuckers and theyre pretty nice. i haven't heard bareknuckle pickups but a bunch of guys on this site get stiff over em. but when you go to look at them on the site they have like barbed wire designs on the covers, needless to say if you're not playing metal you should probably widen your search a bit. not to say theyre not good though, i'm sure they're great
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
dont have a budget, and i play metal and hard rock but alsom some bluesy stuff. lot of clean stuff. i was thinking of gettin the invader for my bridge. i really like the way it sounds when a buddy had it
Quote by gerraguitar
although you're leaning away from dimarzios the air nortons are really nice, i'm putting one in the neck of my LP in the coming months. you should just try to search around and listen to different custom shops, they have billions of demo vids on youtube. i use fralins in my strat and have heard the humbuckers and theyre pretty nice. i haven't heard bareknuckle pickups but a bunch of guys on this site get stiff over em. but when you go to look at them on the site they have like barbed wire designs on the covers, needless to say if you're not playing metal you should probably widen your search a bit. not to say theyre not good though, i'm sure they're great

Dude! That's a massive misinterpretation.
The BKP homepage has changing html pictures and only 3 of them out of 15 are of super high output pickups with ****ed up covers.
BKPs have amazing sounding Vintage Style and Vintage hot ickups and they also range to the highest output pickups I've ever seen.
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
dont have a budget, and i play metal and hard rock but alsom some bluesy stuff. lot of clean stuff. i was thinking of gettin the invader for my bridge. i really like the way it sounds when a buddy had it

I wouldn't get the invader. it's muddy and not versatile at all.

I'd get the Bare Knuckle: The Mule or Riff Raff in the neck Bare Knuckle: Emerald or VH II or Riff Raff in the bridge.
Although if you ask on their forum you'll get great advice.
Just be a bit patient, it can take like 20 mins to 30 mins to get a response on a bad day but afterwards they start flooding in and everyone is really helpful.

Emerald and Riff Raffs are pretty bright and The Mule and Riff Raffs are EXTREMELY versatile. Don't be put off by the output, even the Mule can do metal but it's great at blues, jazz and rock too. In fact, the CEO of BKP "Tim" uses a BKP The Mule set as his main configuration in his Ozzy Osbourne cover band.
Last edited by TheDuckMajor at Mar 8, 2012,
What was wrong with the stock 500T in the bridge of your Explorer?
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
bare knuckle seem bleh. any other ideas?

I know what you mean, they're nowhere near as good as the Invader with those badass polepieces...
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Gibson makes some great bright pups
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Quote by Vicious_Turtle
its a preference seagull. i know though, how dare i fel different about their sound than you

It's not because of preference, it's because you obviously haven't checked them out properly or given them a second thought. Pretty much everyone on UG will agree that bare knuckle are 10x better than invaders or any other seymour duncans for that matter. Obviously, the pickups covers put you off so you didn't even bother to enter the website. The thing is, the pickup covers shown on the front page are just there un-orthadox ones but you can actually get any pickups cover you want on any pickups and you can also get it uncovered.

You see, the SD Invader sounds like shit compared to BKPs, in fact, it's one of Seymour Duncans worst pickups. It's muddy, compressed, isn't dynamic and is way too high output for any form of cleans.
Whereas bare knuckle are some of the best pickups in the world, all of there models sounds great and they have such a big collection (which is also versatile) that you'll be certain the find the right pickups.
I would say either Bare Knuckle Cold Sweats or Seymour Duncan Pearly Gates. I have the Pearly Gates in the bridge of my Les Paul, and it's pretty bright. Not shrill or anything, but it's got plenty of treble. I play everything from Blues to Modern Metal, and I've had no problems with this pickup. Lately, I've been GASing for something with more output for my metal stuff, but I don't really have any problems with the output of my current setup.
DiMarzio Humbucker From Hell
"We're content, to pitch our tent,
When the glory's evident"
Petra - Beyond Belief.
Quote by TheDuckMajor
It's not because of preference, it's because you obviously haven't checked them out properly or given them a second thought. Pretty much everyone on UG will agree that bare knuckle are 10x better than invaders or any other seymour duncans for that matter.
wrong.

God Bareknuckle... so overrated these days.
Last edited by al112987 at Mar 11, 2012,
Just my 2 cents- the Dimarzio Super Distortion is a really great, warm, punchy humbucker. I have a '76 or a '78 Super Distortion in my Guild, and which I love. But my buddy has a brand new one in his Ibanez, which I've used extensively. It's warm and punchy, good for any overdriven or distorted tones, it has good definition, and really screams when you push it. I don't love it as a clean pickup, but in combination with a smooth neck pickup, it's a great blues tone.

I don't have a good recommendation for a neck pickup- my Guild has the original HB-1 in the neck, but you'd be hard pressed to find an original run ('69-'72, I think) HB-1. The Air Norton seems to be a popular pick, though. I've heard nothing bad about them, from any well-rounded guitarists.

Lace Alumitones are cool, too... might be an interesting try for the neck pickup.
The Gibson Burstbuckers are pretty bright. I have a set in my Les Paul. They can get pretty smooth if you roll off the tone. They're perfect of AFD era GnR. Quite harsh sounding. But they give very sparkly cleans. All this can change depending on what guitar and amp they're in though. My guitar is chambered and very acoustic. It's really loud unplugged compared to most guitars, so that probably attributes to the brightness of the overall sound.
hmm ok, thanks for the hoenst opinions guys. i still really like the invader though. i dont use the brdife pickup for alot of cleans anyway, so i guess it wouldnt be bad. but at this point i think im going to go with the emgx 81/60
Im surprised no one has mentioned lindy fralin humbuckers
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
If the ts started off wanting "bright and warm" and ended up at an 81/60 combo, he obviously has no clue what he wants. Any attempt to help or persuade his opinion is in vain.

maybe I should clarify. TS, if you want bright and warm, and an invader/81/60 is your idea of getting that tone, there is huge difference in perception with what you think of those pickups and what most people think of those pickups. What people have rec'd in this thread generally fit as pickups that would interest a person with the same perception of bright and warm as the consensus. Because of this barrier, any suggestion made, however good it may have been, will be of no use to you because you: (A): don't have enough experience with pickups, etc. to realize what sound you're going for (B): You are too headstrong to accept other suggestions.
Last edited by rokket2005 at Mar 11, 2012,
i said a wanted a bright and warm neck pickup. i want the bridje to have a bit of warmth but not nearly as much, thats why i was thinking of the invader for the bridge. and 81x for the bridge. if u dont think a emg60 in the neck can sound warm. go tell that to james hetfield