Hey all, as soon as I get the money I'm planning to buy myself a seven string of somesort. Nothing too expensive, but I'm asking some questions about them as I honestly know nothing about them.

Such as does an extra string really feel much different to a six string? I don't see why it would, but I just don't know.

How long would it take for me to get used to playing a seven string and actually being able to transition back to a six string without thinking that a seventh string is there?

and I'm ideally not wanting to spend more than £400.00 on this, anyone got any idea's on what I could get?

Agiles are out I'm afraid as I'm in Europe.

Cheers.
Bass Gear:

Mensinger: Speesy
Fender Precision 1989 (CIJ Rosewood)
Fender Steve Harris (CIJ)
Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Depends. If you're playing a lot of 6-string material on it too, it can take a few weeks to get used to. It doesn't feel too different, but you'll notice it more if you have small hands.

For under 400 quid, you could probably score a lower-end Ibanez (they must be like 600 CDN? I haven't checked prices in a while) or something like that. Just look around on Google or something, it can't be THAT hard to find prices.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Thanks for the response.

I was hunting around and saw the Ibanez EG307 on Thomman (link:http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_xg307_bkf.htm)

Just wondering if that was any good, or if I should totally avoid
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I honestly can't vouch for the quality of Ibanez's cheaper guitars. I've never played Ibanez. Some people seem to love 'em, others hate 'em. If you can get to a guitar shop that has one, go try it out for yourself and see.
Q: Favourite Pink Floyd song?
A: The one where they get wicked high and play Emin and A for an hour.
Agile Guitars has a lot of seven strings to offer. the prices are great as well. I'm not sure how International shipping from the states is but i've heard the customer service is great.

http://www.rondomusic.com/7string.html
My Gear
Epiphone Les Paul Standard (Ebony)
Ibanez RR250
Squire Strat

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Line 6 Spider III 15

Boss DD-20
Boss OS-2
Boss BD-2
Dunlop Original Crybaby Wah
As I said earlier, Agiles are out because I'm in Europe because I wouldn't get a warrenty if it was broken and I'd have to pay shipping and customs duty which would kill the whole deal. Such a shame cause they look really nice though.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I have 2 seven strings, a Washburn WG-587 and an Ibanez RG-7321 (both of which are on the cheap end of the spectrum). After swapping the bridge pickup on the Ibanez I like it a whole lot better. There are also Dean Vendetta 7's for cheap, but I've heard they're hit and miss. And Agile guitars I've heard they are of awesome quality and I think they are less than the amount you want to spend but it's in American dollars.

If you've never played a 7, it will take some getting used to, but it does improve your inside picking. It's going back again to 6 that's a bitch IMO.
Quote by H, Omitted
I have 2 seven strings, a Washburn WG-587 and an Ibanez RG-7321 (both of which are on the cheap end of the spectrum). After swapping the bridge pickup on the Ibanez I like it a whole lot better. There are also Dean Vendetta 7's for cheap, but I've heard they're hit and miss. And Agile guitars I've heard they are of awesome quality and I think they are less than the amount you want to spend but it's in American dollars.

If you've never played a 7, it will take some getting used to, but it does improve your inside picking. It's going back again to 6 that's a bitch IMO.

Heard good things about that Washburn. I'll check it out.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
I'd probably just get a used Ibanez RG7321. Your budget isn't high enough to get a good guitar, but too high to waste on what you can get new. If you go used, you can A) sell it if it turns out you don't like it and not take a loss, or B) have enough left over to put some good pickups in it if you do like it.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Good idea, but if I bought something new and I didn't like it, couldn't I take it back within thirty days no questions asked?
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Hey all, as soon as I get the money I'm planning to buy myself a seven string of somesort. Nothing too expensive, but I'm asking some questions about them as I honestly know nothing about them.

1 Such as does an extra string really feel much different to a six string? I don't see why it would, but I just don't know.

2 How long would it take for me to get used to playing a seven string and actually being able to transition back to a six string without thinking that a seventh string is there?

3 and I'm ideally not wanting to spend more than £400.00 on this, anyone got any idea's on what I could get?

Agiles are out I'm afraid as I'm in Europe.

Cheers.

1. It feels awkward for a little while, but you'll get used to it pretty quickly. The neck is a bit wider (my LTD 7 has a 48mm nut whereas my LP has a 43mm nut), and the extra string can be confusing as you're getting used to it.
2. It shouldn't take more than a week or 2. Transitioning back to a six... It's weird at first since you have a much narrower neck, but within a few minutes it goes away. It also depends on how much you play each.
http://www.thomann.de/gb/ibanez_rgd7421_bkf.htm
http://www.gak.co.uk/en/7-8-string-and-baritone
http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid9547/cid671/esp-ltd-sc207-7-string-stephen-carpenter-signature-guitar-in-black.asp
Not much in that price range, man. Sorry.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Yeah cause the thing is ideally I'd want to go new seeing as this is an area I've never tried and I've just got a feeling new's my best option as not many people have sevens round where I am.

Plus that Ibanez XG307 looks killer.
Bass Gear:

Lakland J Sonic 5
Epiphone Explorer
Maruszczyk (custom) Jake

Ashdown CTM 100
Quote by Fisheth24
Good idea, but if I bought something new and I didn't like it, couldn't I take it back within thirty days no questions asked?

I don't know, that really just depends on the individual store policy.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X